Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner
61 - 77 of 77 Posts

·
Registered
GSX-R750
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #62 · (Edited)
Well fellas you guys were right.

I did some sketchy jack stand stacking magic, and got the front end unloaded, and got the bearings out. They indeed had dents in the races. Barely visible, but there. But my God, let me tell you how seized the head nuts were....

So I took the forks back out, and got the top triple tree clamp/plate off, no big deal. 2 ugga duggas with the impact made easy work on the outer stem nut. This is where everything got so much worse.

I got to those two spanner nuts stacked on top of the seal and bearing, and I have some little spanners that fit perfect. Well come to find out after a bunch of heat, penetrating oil, hammering, a snapped spanner wrench, and a cut off spanner nut that the nuts and washer were like.... rusted or corroded to the main stem shaft, and there was gunk in there causing them to cross thread as they were coming off. After I snapped my wrench hammering the nut loose, I just got the carbide cutter out on the Dremel and ground most of the way through the nut and it came off easily.

How awful. Only other thing I've had this much misfortune unscrewing is front sprocket nuts. Yeesh.

But yeah, I got those off and ruined the nuts, washer, and rubber seal in the process. I'll just buy new ones.

What a day. Also closed up the steering damper with the 15wt oil. It is indeed quite resistive now, and perfectly smooth after letting it sit tilted in my vice all night. Sealed it off perfectly, and its all cleaned up and ready to go back on when the time comes.

Well I guess it is time to order bearings, and maybe a half decent press tool. Any recommendations on bearing press tools for head bearings? The outer race is 55mm diameter and the inner race is 30mm.

Guess I should decide between All Balls and OEM bearings too.
EDIT: Ordered All Balls tapered roller steering stem kit, as well as their front and rear wheel bearing sets, and some vortex grips. Exciting!

Thanks for reading folks.
-Mike

Product Health care Sleeve Glove Medical equipment

Motor vehicle Automotive tire Automotive design Engineering Machine

Automotive tire Camera lens Camera accessory Material property Carbon

Hand Bicycle part Rim Auto part Automotive tire

Bicycle part Tire Rim Gas Automotive tire

·
Registered
228 Posts
Good on you for doing the bearings, shame you had to break stuff to get it all undone!

You don't need a press tool. The new outers will tap in quite easily, especially if you put them in the freezer overninght before hand. Just make sure they go in square.
I put the bottom clamp in the freezer too and use the old inner race to hammer the new one onto the frozen stem.

·
Registered
GSX-R750
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #66 ·
I'm trying to figure out if I need the big top dust seal! The one that fits over the top bearing. The All Balls kit says seals included, but do I need that big seal extra?

-Mike

·
Registered
228 Posts
I'm trying to figure out if I need the big top dust seal! The one that fits over the top bearing. The All Balls kit says seals included, but do I need that big seal extra?

-Mike
Mine was showing signs of fatigue, like a crazed cracking staring to appear, but when I took it off it was soft and pliable and seemed to still be a good fit, the "cracking" lines were superficial only and didn't open up further when bending or manipulating it, so I put it back on. If I had changed it, it would have been for aesthetic reasons only.
It didn't come with my Allballs kit, only the bottom one which fits between the bottom yolk and the lower inner race on the stem was included.

·
Registered
GSX-R750
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #71 ·
Good to know. Well my large seal was cracked, and I handled it and it split so it is done.

mte78 you mentioned you had an extra seal?

-Mike

·
Dreaming of buttsecks for years...
14,871 Posts
Getting the crown race back on square requires the correct tool. You'll never get it perfect with a drift.

·
Premium Member
282 Posts
That Motion Pro tool fits and works perfect. I’ve installed races on all my bikes. ZERO issues, even at over 180 mph on a track.

If I didn’t have it lent out now I would send it to you with the dust seal.

·
Registered
GSX-R750
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #75 ·
Yeah I am definitely going to get the tool for sure, or at least borrow one. Not going to drift the bearing in lol.

Man that would be rad, I don't even have my bearings yet, any word when you might have the tool back? I could be quick with it and return it to ya ASAP after, and the seal would be rad if you don't need it!

-Mike

·
Premium Member
282 Posts
Another forum member has it here. What state are you located in? I can send the seal whenever. I’m in FL. Just pay me the shipping cost.

PM me your details and I can mail it out on Monday.

61 - 77 of 77 Posts