Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner
1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
:confused

Does ANYONE happen to know if this swap works? Thanks...

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
^^Bump...helllllooo? Annnyyyonneee?

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ok, well, it appears nobody knows, so I'm going to find out. Motor will be here next week, and the project begins. Difference is...I'll take pictures. Keep your eyes open!

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Ok, new 05 motor is now in...harness is mostly wired up. I would say 96% of plugs match up, there are about 6 that do not. (Unfortunately, the gauge harness is one of them) What I have decided to do, is buy an assortment of standard GM style plugs. I'm going to cut and re-solder the GM plugs to the harness, since there are so few, and the advancement of the 05 motor vs. the 02 motor are so significant. I will be posting some pics on putfile.com shortly, and will post a link. A few more days, and I'm going to fire her up!

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Alright, I know I promised some pics (shaggy), but honestly just haven't gotten around to it. Along with being busy with other things (the baby) I've been putting a lot of effort into trying to get the wiring all figured out. I actually got a good bit accomplished this evening, and hope (read: HOPE) to have it wired within the next week or so, and completed by the 1st of the year. After it is completed, I will probably try and type up an entire outline of the process for everybody to read/save from the forum.

·
He Who Touches Himself
6,620 Posts
Good luck! Hurry up with the pics already!!!

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I'm going to take some pics right now...

·
Registered
197 Posts
have you done a search? i know this topic has come up before

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
boostedgsr said:
have you done a search? i know this topic has come up before
I have, and nobody REALLY seems to know...for sure. It's all "I've heard" or "I've read"...etc.

Rangers lead the way!

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Just a quick update for anybody following - tonight I was able to trace all wires/plugs on the harness. I also have made my new "custom" harnesses that are needed. I'm stil at odds with the gauge cluster harness, and ignition. Reason being, it appears to me, that suzuki realized later (04?) that they had some extra wiring that wasn't needed, so I'm either missing one or two, or have one or two extras. I hope to have my answers by the end of the weekend. :hammer

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I've decided to go with just picking up the new cluster harness and complete ignition package. They should be here Wednesday or Thursday...
More details to come.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Alright...everything has been wired except for the following -

1. Fuel Pump
2. Tip Over Sensor
3. Left Side Handlebar

Will be doing #'s 1 and 3 today...

I picked up the 04 Gauge Cluster harness...and for shit's and giggles decided to just plug it in. When I gave the bike power, the cluster went through it's normal checks...(full sweep, lights up..etc) The display says "check" no matter which way the kill switch is clicked...but I don't know if that's due to there being no fuel pump, or t/o sensor...or what.

More to come.

P.S. I had planned on having this project done by 1 January...however, I'm waiting on all my plastics to be painted...so...that may hold me up.

More to come.

·
eh'hole
2,104 Posts
What modifications (if any) did you have to do to the frame to make the engine bolt up? Did you end up going with a 750 or did you switch for the 600?

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 · (Edited)
I stayed with the 04 750 motor...I think you may be referring to when I mentioned switching actual ignition units. Currenlty, the 02 600 is still bolted on, but I may end up just buying the 04 750 unit. It's only $80-$100 anyway.

The only modifications that were/are needed, I've decided to do to the motor. On the driver side of the block, you have two upper mounts. One forward, and one about 5 inches to the rear. The forward one is the one that doesn't mate...however, it's only off by about a 1/8-1/4 of an inch.

What I have decided to do, is fill in that hole with block filler, and then just re-drill and re-tap to meet the frame. I'm doing this, because if I go through all of this trouble, and the motor ends up bad, or some other catastrophic even happens, I can just yank this motor out, switch up the harness, and throw the 02 600 block back in.

BTW - I'm REALLY in need of a 04 750 tip over sensor...or, the know how on how to just jump it. Actually, telling me how to jump it would be better...and cheaper. :)

Edit - In a previous post, I mentioned I'm being held up due to my plastic being painted...really just the gas tank...thats the shame about F.I., can't just pour some gas in the carbs and see if she fires...

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
turborx7s said:
Alright...everything has been wired except for the following -

1. Fuel Pump
2. Tip Over Sensor
3. Left Side Handlebar

Will be doing #'s 1 and 3 today...

I picked up the 04 Gauge Cluster harness...and for shit's and giggles decided to just plug it in. When I gave the bike power, the cluster went through it's normal checks...(full sweep, lights up..etc) The display says "check" no matter which way the kill switch is clicked...but I don't know if that's due to there being no fuel pump, or t/o sensor...or what.

More to come.

P.S. I had planned on having this project done by 1 January...however, I'm waiting on all my plastics to be painted...so...that may hold me up.

More to come.

Ok - Left handlebar has been completed...headlights and horn, etc. work. Fuel pump harness has been rewired to match my tank. Decided to just grab an 05 tip over sensor...($18 bucks off of ebay...) Waiting for that to arrive. As far as I can tell, all I am in need of is the T/O sensor, and the gas tank to come back from the paint guy, and it **SHOULD** fire up. I'm slightly concerned about the ignition...there are some extra wires in the 02 vs. the 04/05...so if i throw the rest of it on, and it doesn't fire, that's the culprit. At which point, instead of trying to figure out the wires, I'll just grab the 04.

Keep you posted...

J

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
banzai13 said:
Can't you use the one from your 600?
Would be nice if I could, but I can't. The 02 has two wires - Blacke/White and Black/Brown. The 04 has 3 wires - The same two colors as the 02, PLUS a red one. This red wire runs directly back to the ecu. We made a couple of attempts to jump from one to the other, but no luck. So, as I said, I bought one from ebay for $18...waiting on it to arrive...

1 - 20 of 56 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.