Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ive never been to the track but I own a GSXR 1000 and I just bought an 03 Gix 600 for the track. Wondering if it is a good bike to start out on the track with and what are some of the first mods i should do to make it track ready besides sliders, plastics and other obvious stuff.
Been riding 4 years on the street and ready to really learn to ride.

·
Registered
3,003 Posts
of course it's a good track bike. Besides the normal stuff I'd suggest get a couple of different sprockets for different tracks, rearsets, good tires and if you can afford it take a racing school.

·
Registered
580 Posts
I started on my 01 1k & then moved to an 04 6 & my riidng improved tremendously,the 6 is an excellent tool.Good suspension will help alot-that would be my first mod-its makes the bike more stable which improves rider confidence & good protective gear is a wise choice also

·
Registered
1,355 Posts
Suspension upgrade. According to the Traxxion guy in my area he stated that the shock on the 01-03 600 is actually decent and rebuildable with new valves so you don't need to buy a $800+ new shock. I had my 02 600 suspension rebuilt and it was a huge improvement. I used RaceTech internals since this was going to be my street and track bike for a little while. I just couldn't see spending $1,500+ on Traxxion front end and Penske/Ohlins/Elka shock when I would only be doing a few more trackdays on it and retire her to the street since I now have an R6 as well for track use only. Now the R6 will be getting Traxxion componants with a good shock. Get a shorter throttle for it.

·
Here is your "R"
6,926 Posts
SV650 makes a kick ass track bike, plus if you decide to get into racing that will allow you to go into lightweight and that means less competition.

·
Registered
849 Posts
I say its a great bike. And I wouldn't go tweaking the suspension until your riding has really improved. Besides how will you even appreciate the suspension upgrades if you never took the stock suspension out on the track. Here's my formula:

1. Take a performance riding/racing school. (not sure where you're located but there are quite a few out there)
2. Get as many trackdays as possible under your belt (with stock suspension and you can even leave your gearing alone);
** You will notice that your riding will improve with every trackday you do
3. At this point you can then decide what you want to do regarding suspension and/or gearing

You don't have to take my word for it but trust me it works. The suspension on the bike truly is not bad. So don't go blowing money on stuff that you will under-utilize. And as the first school I attended always stresssed, "SPEED IS A RESULT OF SKILL AND EXPERIENCE"
In other words it isn't necessarily the perfectly setup bike that will make you faster. It's the skills you need to learn, along with your time in the "saddle" that will make you faster on the track. Just ask any of the professional racers out there how many perfectly setup bikes they have raced.

·
Registered
580 Posts
You didn't say how many miles on the 03.Stock suspension gets sloppy pretty quick after about 7k mles.By good suspension I mean fork revalve & respring & massaged rear shock.You don't have to spend a ton www.roadacinghelp.com got front & rear done for $600.Twist of the wrist 2-an excellent book, chapter 3-ck it out

·
Banned
15,031 Posts
just get your suspension set up for you. besides that just take your street tires out on it for now. as you progress you can start investing money. i wouldn't worry about to many upgrades. You'll spending plenty for track days, tires, gear, travel, food, time off from work etc... racing definitly isn't cheap.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
It has almost 6000 miles, been lowsided on both sides. only cosmetic damage. Ill probably run a set of pilot race. I wont be riding this one much on the street anyway. I still have my o4 1k. Thanks for all the input.

·
Banned
15,031 Posts
i don't know how much racing you've done, but if you've not even been on the track before running race tires will probably hurt you instead. They take a lot more to heat up - and you have to know how to use them. I'm still running street tires just because of the cost and how quickly after one or two track days you'll have to buy another set.

·
Registered
16,168 Posts
I say its a great bike. And I wouldn't go tweaking the suspension until your riding has really improved. Besides how will you even appreciate the suspension upgrades if you never took the stock suspension out on the track. Here's my formula:

1. Take a performance riding/racing school. (not sure where you're located but there are quite a few out there)
2. Get as many trackdays as possible under your belt (with stock suspension and you can even leave your gearing alone);
** You will notice that your riding will improve with every trackday you do
3. At this point you can then decide what you want to do regarding suspension and/or gearing

You don't have to take my word for it but trust me it works. The suspension on the bike truly is not bad. So don't go blowing money on stuff that you will under-utilize. And as the first school I attended always stresssed, "SPEED IS A RESULT OF SKILL AND EXPERIENCE"
In other words it isn't necessarily the perfectly setup bike that will make you faster. It's the skills you need to learn, along with your time in the "saddle" that will make you faster on the track. Just ask any of the professional racers out there how many perfectly setup bikes they have raced.
RE: the suspension stuff..If the OP weighs more than 170lbs. w/o gear, then he NEEDS to have the suspension resprung, in order to even set his SAG...revalving, or switching to a good shock will offer even better improvements...plus revalving the forks...these are Good improvments as they let the rider feel more confident, and provide a much improved ride and handleing.

Try ridng at the track when you weigh enough to bottom the forks during 99% of your braking...not much fun, and it detracts from making progress. If your on a budget, then respring the forks, and shock if nesseary, got a few more bucks to spend..? then get bot ends revalved too..for a minimal investment, tuning the suspension a bit, you reap big rewards..Add some good tires, and your set..

Also...just cuzz some of the racers had ill handleing bikes, doesn't mean YOU need to ride one, just ask any track day Junkie...
Some of which are faster than some pro racers...

·
Registered
849 Posts
Hammer not to ding you. But when I spoke about racers I was speaking about the the guys running (or who have run) in the AMA and won races..(ie. Kevin Schwantz, Jason Pridmore, Opie Caylor, Lee Acree, Tray Batey, Jamie James, etc., etc.). And I will say that I have yet to find a trackday junkie who runs at the laptimes that these guys run, even though there may be one out there). Just ask the guy who did the write-up in the Club Racer forum what his experience was stepping into the AMA arena. From what I understand he is a he!! of a racer and just missed qualifying. These guys are ridiculously fast. Which led me to the point that if they can ride as hard and fast as they do on a bike that is not perfect by their standards (which may be fine for a "trackday junkie') then a guy just starting out on the track shouldn't be going out and overhauling his suspension before he's even tried it out on the track.
As for the forks bottoming out, I've been there. I weigh 230lb and at the end of the straight at Road Atlanta, before going into the chicane (turns 10a & 10b) I was bottoming out my front end. So yes I'm going to spend the money to get it done. But for me it was worth it to experience it prior to getting the work done versus just doing b/c somebody else told me to (i have great appreciation for it now). Just my 2 cents to try and save the guy some money before his first trackday. I also agree with what you guys said regarding street tires. If it's his first trackday out then he's better going out on the Pilot Powers versus the Pilot Power Race regardless of how fast he or anybody else thinks he is.

·
Registered
16,168 Posts
Trust me...there are junkies that are faster than some of those you mentioned...Kevin and Jason excluded...

You are defintly entitled to your opinion...but as we all know, going fast is a combo of Confidence, and skill. What ever way you gain those to..is up to you..

·
Registered
123 Posts
I'd say the 600 is the perfect track bike. They're light, parts are everywhere, fast enough without being overwhelming, and when you beat an R1 coming out of a turn, it makes you feel SO good.

i don't know how much racing you've done, but if you've not even been on the track before running race tires will probably hurt you instead. They take a lot more to heat up - and you have to know how to use them. I'm still running street tires just because of the cost and how quickly after one or two track days you'll have to buy another set.
I'm not so sure this is true. I'm running a modded (reworked engine) '03 600 just like he wants to ride, and I got 4 days off my last set of tires. 600's aren't so hard on tires (or maybe its just me
)

·
Registered
6,418 Posts
i dont agree bro. but its my oppionin thats all. race tires will never hurt you. many riders will not see there full potential but they may get you out of a jam if you grab a bit af brakes or do something nutty (and you will) the added traction is not going to hurt.

i say..when on a track buy race tires.
when on the street buy street tires.

spend your money on good tires they are cheap insurance.

i would not spend loot on suspension mods till you have a bit of time under your belt and can make use of it. you money would be better spent on a few rider enhancement lessions with a good achool.

and i am one of the guys in club racer who does ama

·
Registered
16,168 Posts
i dont agree bro. but its my oppionin thats all. race tires will never hurt you. many riders will not see there full potential but they may get you out of a jam if you grab a bit af brakes or do something nutty (and you will) the added traction is not going to hurt.

i say..when on a track buy race tires.
when on the street buy street tires.

spend your money on good tires they are cheap insurance.

i would not spend loot on suspension mods till you have a bit of time under your belt and can make use of it. you money would be better spent on a few rider enhancement lessions with a good achool.

and i am one of the guys in club racer who does ama
I agree with Wiz to a point...and that is, if your a newer rider, and I'll use Jennings as an example...lets say your doing 1:50's..there's really no need for DOT's..rather a tire like the Diablo would be better suited for that newer rider, now if your doing 30's or lower, then by all means use a DOT race tire, having more grip and feed back, never hurt anyone..

1 - 17 of 17 Posts