Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Highly unstable
32,025 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
well, this wasnt the greatest weekend of racing for me due to massive handling problems. but i did get some halfway decent laps in once the bike was getting close to where it needed to be. anyhow, i had a guy on either an 04 or 05 r1 with a full system get up along side of me down the front straight at summit point so i imagine he had slightly better drive coming out of the last corner and i just kept the throttle pinned and slowly crept ahead of him. all i have is a m4 slipon with no remapping, pc, or anything.

just thought id share one more story of how the latest r1 is just a shade behind my dinosaur of a gixxer.

carry on.

·
Premium Member
73,384 Posts
sounds good, but what was wrong with the handling?

·
Highly unstable
32,025 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
my ride heights were very far out of wack.front way too low, and rear a bit too high.. and i bought a set of forks from someone who said they were just freshened up by thermosman suspension and they werent.. the right fork had about half the amount of oil it was suppose to have. and the left wasnt much better. i wrestled with set up the whole weekend. and when i was getting close and running a pretty good pace i lost the front in a high speed turn.

·
Registered
1,685 Posts
nice bmf
yup, my 04 has only a yosh slip on and she pulls like a motherfucker....everywhere!
still think i might do the PC3 since im probably extremely lean right now...

·
Premium Member
73,384 Posts
did anything happen to the bike when you lost it? that sucks about the liar who sold you the suspension.

·
Highly unstable
32,025 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
yeah, it does suck about liars man.. well, my brand new m4 slipon that i put on last week is toast. and so is my bodywork. it wasnt destroyed, but its cracked up pretty good. i could repair it but the shit would weigh a ton aftwards.. i broke an ear off the upper fairing stay, and my sliders on the right side are toast.. thankfully the bike didnt hit anything besides the pavement but i was already just about dragging an elbow. it spun around a bit in the gravel and thats what tore up the bodywork.

here is a shot of the bike now.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Don't Feel Bad about losing the Front, I had some three year old Metzler Rennsports on My GSXR750 RaceBike this weekend so I could do some engine work and test. Riding around a parking lot at 15 mph like a grandma pussy the front just dissappeared on me. It hurts worse going down slow than fast, Especially you pride.

Those tires were like superball rubber, I still can't believe they slipped out on me like that. Just stood there Like WTF. I know better than put that crap on my bike, but I figured what the hell, I am not going to really be cornering at all, right?

No Damage, just bruises, and a great deal of anger.

·
Highly unstable
32,025 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
i was on dunlops. they were on their second weekend, and are from last year, but they really arent that bad. and its not the tires fault. i really had a tough time with set up this weekend so its partially due to that, and partially due to running slightly off line trying to set up for a pass. and where i went off line there are some small bumps, and i had no suspension left to absorb them so the front went bumpity bump and then bam! on the pavement.

·
Registered
9,968 Posts
wait a minute--are you running an old 180 tire on a 6" rim? thats gonna turn like cockapoop

·
Registered
20 Posts
Sorry to hear about your woes, I on the other hand had a great first race weekend out on my K5, picked up 4 wins. The bike worked fantastic, the only gripes I have are on straight line stability and I'm hoping to tune that out with the rear shock and a better damper.
There were no new R1's to play with, but I pulled pretty good on a couple of zx10's, probably because I had a better drive off the corners.

·
Registered
351 Posts
youre not going to pull a full system r1. ANYWHERE. you beat the rider, not the bike. if this was an 05, id believe it. but not on an 03.

·
Registered
9,968 Posts
youre not going to pull a full system r1. ANYWHERE. you beat the rider, not the bike. if this was an 05, id believe it. but not on an 03.
i wasn't gonna be the one to say it, but someone had to.

·
Registered
20 Posts
glad to hear it flyingixxer. where were you racing? and expert or amature class?
I'm up in Canada, expert in regional racing at a small track in a town called Gimli. Small club, but lots of fun and good competition, with a great club atmosphere.

·
Registered
20 Posts
lol, it is a viking town, similar head gear and weapons I suppose, lol.

The club is the MRA (Manitoba Roadracing Association). There website is www.mrasuperbike.ca
I used to go down to Brainerd alot, but havnt been there in a couple of years now.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts