Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an 02 1k and for a while when I'd turn the ignition on the headlight wouldnt come on. Then with in a few seconds or if I'd switch Hi-beam on the light would come on. Tonight it just quit working all together, the hi-beam worked on the way home but no regualr light. I pulled the lo beam to examine the bulb and its ok, even switched with an older working bulb and it still didnt work. Now neither light works and when I switch the hi beam on the blue indicator in the gauge cluster doesnt come on. Is that light in the same circuit as the hi and lo beams or is this indicating it might be a problem w/ the left clip-on electronics- horn and turn signals both work- and all fuses are good. I recently got caught in bad rain but the problem was occuring before that-- any help would be appreciated.

·
Registered
174 Posts
i got the same problems as you on my 01...maybe you will wanna try to give a knock on the right side where the signal is located, or you can take out the fairing and have some knock on the wires itself.... i tried on my 01 and it did not light up because maybe some of the wiring are loosen or something....when lights are off i knock on that spot, it light up immediately...

·
Registered
1,647 Posts
On the 01-02 their is a black plug that connects the clip on to the wireing harness. That plug gets corroded inside or doesn't make a good connection. Usually it is a bad ground. Because of the bad ground that connector gets really hot after the headlights are on for a few minutes. If you grab that connector and it is really hot the ground is not making a good conection. Try spraying some contact cleaner on both sides of the plug. If that doesn't take care of your problem I take the white wire with the brown rings around it and cut it from the plug and get a 14 gauge wire and solder the two wires together to make a good connection. All headlight ground and headlights going on and off problems solved. Now when you touch the black connector it will not be hot anymore. You will only need to disconnect the plug and cut wire if replacing the headlight control on clip on.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
On the 01-02 their is a black plug that connects the clip on to the wireing harness. That plug gets corroded inside or doesn't make a good connection. Usually it is a bad ground. Because of the bad ground that connector gets really hot after the headlights are on for a few minutes. If you grab that connector and it is really hot the ground is not making a good conection. Try spraying some contact cleaner on both sides of the plug. If that doesn't take care of your problem I take the white wire with the brown rings around it and cut it from the plug and get a 14 gauge wire and solder the two wires together to make a good connection. All headlight ground and headlights going on and off problems solved. Now when you touch the black connector it will not be hot anymore. You will only need to disconnect the plug and cut wire if replacing the headlight control on clip on.

+1 you were spot on man! thanks for the help!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.