Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner

61 - 80 of 83 Posts

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #61
Thanks man, but being I can not hear it run. I'm not sure how I feel about putting money into it. I thought about seeing if i could use my entire harness and ecu off my 2000 track bike just to hear it run. Just not sure if it will fire up. The injection rail looks different, but other than that it all seems the same?

·
Registered
149 Posts
Thanks man, but being I can not hear it run. I'm not sure how I feel about putting money into it. I thought about seeing if i could use my entire harness and ecu off my 2000 track bike just to hear it run. Just not sure if it will fire up. The injection rail looks different, but other than that it all seems the same?
[/
Yeah, I'm not familiar with that model.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Another thing I thought you could check is the Ground wires to the Ecu. I suspect they will be ok, but no harm checking.

The five, B/W(Black/white) wires going into Ecu are the Ground wires. One of them goes to the dealer plug so it's not connected, but the other four should have good continuity to Battery -ve.

NB. B/W only. Not B or B/Br or B/Bl.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #64
I'll check it in the moring. Thanks for all the advice.

·
Registered
151 Posts
ECU receiving power and still saying Chec is not good.
We went through with the same scenario with @Clipper last year and his Ecu was the problem.
Don't think there is a way to test Ecu besides swapping out.
Yep, that was fun. I checked everything else first, even wiring, before spending cash on an ECM, but that was the cause.
I was reluctant to suggest that for the OP's bike though because the failure on the K4 / K5 models as I had seems limited to those 32 bit ECMs, I've not come across the same on any older 16 bit version like the OP would have.
Does seem to show all the symptoms though.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #66
The ground wires all tested good. Guess I'll start shopping for and ecu. I'll keep you posted.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #67
Well I guess I'm buying a harness next. I got ecu yesterday. Thought I would finally get to hear her run, but sadly no go. New ecu made no difference. I'm sad now

·
Registered
149 Posts
Yeah, this ones got me stumped. I don't have any more ideas. We pretty much checked everything on the power in circuit.
Eg. Wiring Diagram.
GSXR600 01,03 colored wire2.jpg
It might be worth while to have someone with more experience to look over the wiring as well, before putting more money into it.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #69
I actually did have a tuning buddy come by and check the bike. Turned out there were 4 bad wires in harness. Delivering bad signals. Also he took my ecu and the new one too. To his shop where they flash. Original one was fired! New is good. New harness comes in today. Keep you guys posted

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #70
Oh an ecu can be kinda tested. When hooked to computer to flash. If it cant communicate with computer. Its usually means its bad.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #71
New parts are here, and my boy is on his way with my good ecu! Fingers crossed! I'll keep ya posted

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #72
Peter and clipper thank you both so much for all your advice, and direction. Got every hooked up. Turned on the key.....Fuel pumped primed and it started right up. Again thank you both for all the help! I have to unhook everything and run everything properly. I'm so happy to have this bike up and running.

Reactions: Clipper

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #73
Question, when I turn key on. The fuel pump primes, but i noticed the throttle body isnt doing anything. I've never had a k1, and I'm not totally sure if they should activate or not. I cant find a video on what it should be doing.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #74
But it will start up and run? I dont understand how its starting up with out the secondary baffles working

·
Registered
149 Posts
Hey mate, good to hear that you got it going. Your buddy seems to know what he's doing.
So the problem was bad wiring? Maybe at the ignition switch?

Yeah, not sure what would kill an Ecu like that. Hooking the battery up the wrong way possibly? Or a short somewhere in the wiring? Faulty voltage regulator?

·
Registered
149 Posts
Question, when I turn key on. The fuel pump primes, but i noticed the throttle body isnt doing anything. I've never had a k1, and I'm not totally sure if they should activate or not. I cant find a video on what it should be doing.
Yeah, I don't have the K1 either. I have the K4.
I believe it should open and close when you turn ignition on? And when you start the bike up and turn throttle, it should start to open up. If it stays closed then you will loose power at higher rpm.

Do you get any codes? I read somewhere that there was some problems with the STVA on this model, but others will probably know more on this.

Maybe start a new post with the right heading, and you may get more answers on this. Anyway, Cheers.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Glad you've got it "kind of" working! Really the credit goes to Peter, he helped me sort out my K5 last year too.

I'm not sure about the STV butterflies though because it's been a long time since I had a K1, the K5 set up which I have now is different. But from memory the STVs should "cycle" when the ignition is turned on.

What happens to them when you open the throttle? Do they ever open or are the permanently shut?

By the way, the motor starts and runs with the STVs closed because they just increase the air flow by opening under certain throttle conditions, but the main throttle valves underneath are the ones which regulate the "total" shut off of air flow.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #78
Yep, it has a code. Nope the secondaries are not moving at all. Guess stv is bad as well. No movement when i turn key on, nor when i open the throttle. Crap

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #79
Oh they are about 3/4 open and never move.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #80
Well I think I found a new issue! The secondary throttle unit, or whatever its called. Does seem to be getting any power. I tested the unit and the continuity test was good. So I tested the plug. There seems to be absolutely no pwer coming through it. I dont know why though. Guess im going to start tracing wires to inspect for damage

61 - 80 of 83 Posts