Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner

21 - 40 of 83 Posts

·
Registered
149 Posts
So, is it cranking now? Make sure kill switch is On and clutch is pulled In.

Battery may be going flat. Charge it up first.

Don't crank with charger hooked up, some of the smaller chargers don't like that.

When checking for the 12volts, Kill switch has to be on too, and connected up.

·
Registered
149 Posts
I found 2 orange and white wires going into the ecu. No power to either with key in the on position. Kickstand up and in neutral? I dont know what to check next
Wiring diagram only shows one O/W wire going into ECU. The other one could be an O/Y(orange/yellow). With the ECU disconnected, there should still be 12volts on the O/W wire. The red probe on O/W, the black on a Ground -ve. Ignition on, kill switch on, Neutral and everything connected up.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
Also I decided to test the orange and white wire with the ecu disconnect from the harness. It has pulsating power with ecu disconnect, but no power with the ecu connected? What does that mean?

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
Ok I'll check in a minute and get back to ya. Thanks for all the suggestions

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
Same result? The power through the orange and white wire is still pulsating at 1 second with the rectifier disconnected? I can not figure out what is causing this. Does anyone have any suggestions?

·
Registered
149 Posts
Measure the voltage across the battery terminals. Does this pulsate?

Also, what do you mean exactly? Does it go from 12v to 0V to 12V?

Are you measuring with perhaps a battery charger on it?

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
On the battery the power is constant 12v. Yes when I'm check voltage on the orange and white wire. It goes from 0 volts to 12 volts. Then back to zero. On basically a one second rotation. No the battery is not connected while testing. No the battery shows power at a steady 12.31v

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
Also if i hook ecu up. I get no power at all through the orange and white wire.

·
Registered
151 Posts
On later bikes at least, the orange / white wire gets its power from a "jumper" connector under the seat near the rear light.

You are looking for a 4 pin connector with 4 black wires going into it and, possibly underneath insulating tape, a bridging cap which jumps the black wires in pairs.

I have seen reports of corrosion on those jumper caps which has then caused power issues to the orange / white ECU power.

Clutching at straws, but worth a look?

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
Question can I put 12v power to orange and white wire? To see if the bike lights up? Also I found no jumper under the seat.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
The only jumper I did find was a little box under the front seat. Looks like some kind of fuel pump relay, or something.

·
Registered
149 Posts
It shouldn't be pulsating like that. Make sure you are measuring the O/W and not the O/Y wire.
Image of fuel pump relay.

Unplug ECU, Unplug Voltage Regulator, Unplug Fuel pump relay aswell. Is it still pulsing?
I believe it will be pulsing at the coils as well then. Might be worth following the wiring back to find where the pulsing originates from.

When it's pulsing, can you hear any kind of clicking like a relay? Locate the Side-Stand relay (It's next to the fuse box), put your ear on it. Can you hear it clicking?
Can you swap out the side-stand relay from your other bike?

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #34
Yes I know right where that is. I'll swap it with the one on my track bike. Then I'll do like you said and start tracing wires. Oh and yeah it the larger o/w wire pulsing. Thanks for all the help so far. I'll post tomorrow after I check it

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #35
Ok unhooked everything. Turn on key and no pulsing, but not 12 volts either. It only showed 0.65 volts coming through the orange and white wire? That cant be right can it?

·
Registered
149 Posts
Ok, so to be clear, you unhook ecu, unhook voltage regulator and unhook fuel pump relay and the pulsing stopped? Even when unhooking these 3 components, you should still get constant 12volts on O/W. Is the fuel pump relay causing the pulsing?

Did you manage to locate the side-stand relay? The side-stand relay is your main relay, 12volts power to coils and ecu comes through this relay. Relay is turned on with kick stand or Neutral(Gear position) switch and/or both.
Could this be causing the pulsing?

Also, when testing make sure key switch on, kill switch on, Neutral and kick-stand up.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #37
Yes with everything disconnected the pulsating stopped, but I'm only getting very low voltage through the harness. It only reads 0.65. I bike is in neutral, but the green neutral light is not showing on the cluster.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #38
Now I just need to find the cause of the very low voltage. Maybe that is the cause of all the problems. Maybe its not getting enough power to properly open the relays causing the pulsating power

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #39
Does anyone know the way power goes through the harness. I need to figure out path of 12v power through the harness. I have 12 volts at the ignition switch. Where does it go from there? Killswitch, clutch switch, kickstand switch, then where?

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #40
Right off the key switch. I found the power on an orange and yellow has the super low voltage of 0.74v

21 - 40 of 83 Posts