Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Banned
5,032 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had my 02 go tits up at the track, I'm thinking maybe a fuel issue. Starts and idles fine, won't take any throttle under load. So I take my 10r to the track. Started out at Thunderhill and it behaved well, no stability issues and it did these delicious power wheelies exiting turn 15. Cool. So I take it to my favorite stomping grounds, Pahrump. To be fair, the 02 has a full Akra, Ohlins rt forks, brembo/braketech brakes and BST rims to go with the Penske shock. The 10r is bone stock but for a brembo mc, a Penske and a Scotts damper. And it was a handful. I put in an effort that would have netted a 1:44 on the gix and was rewarded with a high 1:45. So I sulked around a bit and then my buddy comes back in with a freakin 1:43 on his timer. Biatch! So I go back out and match the time. I never did a 1:43 on the gix, but I suspect if I had put that much effort into it, I would have had a 1:42. The 10r clearly has more top end, but exiting turns it just does not have the ripping midrange of the gix. Even geared lower it feels like a slug getting on the gas. I wonder if those BSTs really make a huge difference. I noticed I was having to initiate turns a lot sooner to hit the line. Took most of the day to adjust to that. Stock the 10r brakes are pretty damn good. The stock forks never let me down. I've not done much to the geometry on the 10r, just raised the rear a bit. The reputed tendency to tuck the front is something I grappled with early in the day. It will tuck if you're not careful with steering input, but it never scared me once I made the adjustment to that. No hint of misbehavior in the white knuckle sweepers. The tranny IS balky. Clutchless upshifts require your full attention. Limp ankle the thing and it is not going to upchange. Slipper clutch is cute, but it doesn't work much stock. Needs tweaking I guess. So, a good day with a new personal best on a new bike, but sadly not as much fun to ride as the venerable gixxer. Maybe if I got that 16.5 BST and those ceramic rotors, the remote res superbike forks...

1 - 2 of 2 Posts