Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
02 1000 won\'t start

Took the bike out yesterday, it was running like a champ till i turned it off.

I killed it for a few minutes to walk my girl to her office, but when i got back on it it wouldn't start. Like a dumbass I killed the battery trying different shit to get it started so I had to get a friend to help me drag it home. I checked the spark plugs and found they were pretty fowled, so i changed them. On the way home I filled it up with gas, even though the light wasn't on and I filled it up the day before... it felt kinda empty. I'm also not getting any Fi codes. When I put the key in i hear the fuel pump whine and the choke engages, the engine turns over and sounds like it wants to start but doesn't. I've checked most of the connections and haven't found any issues, but will continue looking.

Post up if anyone has a suggestion...

Thanks!!!

·
Registered
82 Posts
Re: 02 1000 won\'t start

I would pull the plugs and see if they are fouled again. Wet could indicate weak or no ignition. While the plugs are out verify each has a nice blue spark. Pull the coils and stuff each with an old plug and ground to near by bolt. I use small jumpers. Crank the engine for a few seconds. The once dry plugs installed in the head should be wet. You got fuel. Once again check you don't have a FI light or FI symbol displayed. You already have verified the starter,interlock system and fuel pump relay by listening for the pump and cranking the engine. Get friendly with the FI wiring diagram. Good luck

·
Registered
3,097 Posts

Side Stand Cut out switch is a bugger for this stuff, as is the clutch in start switch. Also, check over your fuses.....
S.

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

Hey guys... I appreciate all the ideas!!!

I would think that if it were the side stand switch it would let me start it up in neutral then die when i put it in gear? How can i test the clutch to make sure its engaging? I did check all my fuses yesterday, sorry forgot to mention that in the post.

LT5, I want to make sure that I read your post right, i'm a little confused... are you saying to remove the new spark plugs and coils, put old plugs in, but not attach the coils to them... then ground the new spark plugs and coils and turn bike over and look for spark?

Thanks again for the ideas!!!

·
Registered
82 Posts

Sorry if my post sounds a little confusing. You are doing a quick test to determine if you have spark and fuel to each cylinder. Remove your new plugs. If they are fouled, you could have a possible weak or no ignition. Insert clean plugs into the coils and ground each plug. Don't ground the plugs to the valve cover. You will risk pitting the magnesium. Check for a nice blue spark at each plug while cranking. Do you have a strong spark ? If yes, move to the fuel system test. Install DRY plugs into the cylinder head. Insert ANOTHER set into each coil and ground them all. Why ? They will give the high voltage a path to ground and prevent any possible damage to the ignition system. Now crank the engine a few seconds. The longer you crank the easier the results will be to see. Remove the plugs (from the cylinder head) , they should be slightly wet. This will let you know if the injectors are working. Remember there maybe fuel but is it at the correct pressure ? Further tests maybe needed.

I would start by making sure all my switches are in the correct postion, fuses ok, fuel in the tank ,fuel pump working, starter engaging, no FI light, FI symbol or Check displayed in the speedo.Then move on to the tests like I described.

If you don't already have the manual, download it from this site. Patience, logic and the manual will increase the odds of fixing your problem. Keep in mind your problem could be both fuel and ignition. That's where logic and the manual come into play. Example: leaking injectors can also cause wet fouled plugs. But all of them at once or from running ok to no start, possible but doubtfull. Think logically. Learn the wiring diagrams and what is common to each system.

Sorry for the long post . I have made my living troubleshooting and just wanted to pass on some helpfull steps in tackling the problem. For myself fixing a problem on my bike is just as much fun as dragging a knee.. Good Luck.

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

LT... Thanks again for all the killer info, after a long shitty day of work i'm looking forward to wrenching on the bike. I enjoy fixing stuff myself… i've been working on computer networks for a living for bunches of years, so logical thinking isn't completely foreign to me.

I've got a friend with alot more experience working on engines than I do coming over to give me a hand this eve, so hopefully between the help you've given and him we can get something working.

I'll make sure to post up the results...

Thanks!!!

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

I don't know if I would call it stock...

the engine is stock and the bike is stock, its just that the engine is from a stock 02 1000 and the bike was a stock 98 750... so its kinda stock.

·
Registered
82 Posts

Is your bike stock?
The engine is stock and the bike is stock, its just that the engine is from a stock 02 1000 and the bike was a stock 98 750... so its kinda stock.
Great question. My questions: Was the entire 02 harness used ? What about the speedo display? Can you read FI codes ?

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

both were used... I'm not getting any codes. If i pull the airbox off i get c-21 for the temp sensor but that's it.

·
Here is your "R"
6,926 Posts

charge the battery or the battery could be toast.

check the fuel line make sure its not bent.

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·

Checked the battery tonight, its good. Pulled the coils off and the plugs are giving good spark. Also stuck a long allen wrech into the throttle bodies, it was wet with gas so I'm getting fuel... not sure if its the right amount though. Unpluged several sensors and recieved error codes for each of them. No error codes when everything is plugged in, the TPS was showing on the high side next to the error code. It was a pain in the ass to make it line up in the middle, but made no difference once I got it to that point.

no luck on getting it started tonight... will be hitting it some more this weekend.

I really appreciate the help guys...

·
Registered
82 Posts

Does this thing give any hint of firing or is it stone dead while cranking ? Since the ECM is displaying no codes. It could be a fuel delivery problem rather than a control fault. The main control codes to have looked for were the cam and crank sensor codes. They will cause a no start.

You mentioned a good spark. If you installed dry plugs are they wet or dry after trying to start the engine? The manual will callout a fuel pressure and delivery amount to verify proper fuel pump and regulator ops. There is a quick way to see if not enough fuel is causing the no start.

You could use a spray can of starting fluid or pour a cap full of gas down each throttlebody port . Open the throttle slightly and spray a shot or two of starting fluid across the ports while cranking. The engine should fire for a moment. If it does, you will need to check the fuel delivery system. A word of caution, DO NOT get carried away with the amount you spray, it can produce a nice BANG. If it doesn't work its back to the books..

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·

No its not stone dead, it does give a hint of turning over but doesn't last long. At the end of the night last night we were really grasping for anything; so even though it wasn't throwing codes we swapped the Cam Position Sensor with the one off my old 750. It was exactly the same, but produced the same result.

I didn't have any starter fluid, but we did hit it with a little wd-40... it should have fired just the same as starter fluid. No luck.

I'm thinking i'm gonna see if I cannot find a fuel presure gauge and put it in line with the fuel line to verify fuel presure. I've got two fuel lines so I can mod one use it for testing then have the other for running the bike.

·
Registered
82 Posts

I didn't have any starter fluid, but we did hit it with a little wd-40... it should have fired just the same as starter fluid. No luck.

I'm thinking i'm gonna see if I cannot find a fuel presure gauge and put it in line with the fuel line to verify fuel presure. I've got two fuel lines so I can mod one use it for testing then have the other for running the bike.
Sounds like plan.. BTW.. Starting fluid (ether) is a much better choice than wd-40 or carb cleaner. It's a lot more volatile and flammable than the other choices.

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·

I didn't happen to have any starter fluid laying around... i could have used gas but it seemed a bit cleaner than spilling gas everywhere. I'll pickup some stater fluid, in florida we don't need to use starter fluid to start shit... its not like up north thats for damn sure.

I'm thinking i'm gonna pull my wire harness and check out all the connections. Its too hard to really inspect them while on the bike. That sounds like a really fun project for saturday and sunday when its suppose to rain.

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·

I got some real starter fluid today and it fired right up... looks like i won't be pulling the electrical out just yet.

I can hear the fuel pump whine so its getting power. I'll be getting a fuel presure gauge on it soon, i'm not sure how many psi the pump is putting out. Since the 02's presure regulator is inside the tank and the 98's is outside, right now there is not a regulator.

·
Registered
82 Posts

I can hear the fuel pump whine so its getting power. I'll be getting a fuel presure gauge on it soon, i'm not sure how many psi the pump is putting out. Since the 02's presure regulator is inside the tank and the 98's is outside, right now there is not a regulator.
The lack of regulator may explain why your old plugs were carbon fouled. Without a regulator you are relying on the pump relief valve. The '02 1100 pump relief opens at 65-85 psi. The '98 750 is probably similar.The regulated average is in the mid 40's. Since the Suzuki system has no feedback ( o2 sensor ) it doesn't know anything other than what's programmed into the ECM curve. Raise the pressure and the injector volume goes up for a given pulse width. A rich A/F ratio results. Component longevity should also be a concern. The pump and injectors are not designed to work for long periods at this psi level. I would consider installing a regulator. Somehow..

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·

Hey LT and everyone else thanks for all your help!!!

I've got the bike running again. The issue turned out to be a fuel hose inside the tank. It seems that the hose clamp that was on there couldn't hold up when i got on it. I've since installed a screw hose clamp and don't seem to have any more issues. I am however looking at a few aftermarket adjustable fuel regulators. But the bike is running like a champ again.

Thanks again for all your help!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts