Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My bike out of nowhere started giving me an issue where the coolant will bubble in the overflow to the point it starts spitting it out I recently did a cooling system flush and I did bleed the system but it’s still giving me the issues seems like the radiator forces coolant out into the overflow but once I cut the bike it goes back down

·
Premium Member
4,776 Posts
seems that's normal, it will spit out anything excessive when hot, just make sure the bottle is to the hot line when at temp, right when the fan kicks on kill it and fill to that level, it will suck up what it needs perfectly as it cools..

wait for it to get cold and fill to cold level, or remove to cold line whichever it is..

sounds like when you say spitting there isn't much in the bottle so its spitting it back in, usually its up to the cold line so you don't hear anything happening but the system does expand and contract as it heats up and cools off, why there is 2 lines...

insure the system is full and the bottle is filled proper then see what happens, run till fan comes on, what's it doing?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
seems that's normal, it will spit out anything excessive when hot, just make sure the bottle is to the hot line when at temp, right when the fan kicks on kill it and fill to that level, it will suck up what it needs perfectly as it cools..

wait for it to get cold and fill to cold level, or remove to cold line whichever it is..

sounds like when you say spitting there isn't much in the bottle so its spitting it back in, usually its up to the cold line so you don't hear anything happening but the system does expand and contract as it heats up and cools off, why there is 2 lines...

insure the system is full and the bottle is filled proper then see what happens, run till fan comes on, what's it doing?

L

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
So I filled up the radiator and the overfill container and it just pushes it back into the container till it spits it out of the tube then when he cools it just takes it all back and empty’s it

·
Premium Member
4,776 Posts
keep filling the reservoir, burp it in between and maybe get it up to temp with cap off to burp it.. squeeze radiator lines as well try to push out any air may be trapped inside?

if you think the system is full, then when cold fill to cold line..

is the bike actually overheating or is the fan coming on then its cooling off? far as you can tell?

do you have a lazer temp gauge?

maybe open the tank when your heating it up and see if the block temps are close to gauge temps, try to figure out what's going on here...

did you do the flush as routine maintenance or was there another reason? maybe should have checked thermostat?

seems the place you are at now is you need to determine if the coolant being spit out is excessive or if its overheating and the system is not behaving as it should, so that lazer temp gauge is a must have, or check the thermostat put in boiling water again with a temp gauge see if its opening at the temp it should..

also, when you filled the system did you check to see if it is holding the proper amount as per the service manual? that's the best way to see if you have air locks and so forth, how much has it taken so far?

if you haven't taken note you may want to drain it when cold then measure every ounce you put in, then put the overflow drain hose into a container and trap that as well.

does it seem like its taken the proper capacity? it may just be you don't have enough int he system so when its hot it overheats, why it sucks the reservoir dry, you can try to not let the reservoir go empty as its cooling and sucking it up..

these are self leveling system, as it cools it will not take more into the system than capacity, so as its cooling don't let the reservoir bottle go empty, keep filling it till it stops sucking it in, then start and heat up see what happens.. it may take a few times of that.. it's always good to know how much you have put into a system vs what it holds while accounting for any residual you may not have drained or pushed out for the flush or change..

just seems to me if it's spitting out its overheating, so you're not getting enough into the system and we have no way to determine how much is in it from here..

·
You should listen to me. No, seriously, listen to
9,144 Posts
The service manual details a procedure for bleeding air from the thermostat housing and rocking the bike from side to side when the coolant is changed. It's not clear if you did that, in which case there could be a bunch of air in the system that will take a while to remove via heating & cooling cycles.

"out of nowhere started giving me an issue where the coolant will bubble in the overflow"
This makes me wonder if your head gasket is leaking. Is there a constant bubbling?

·
Premium Member
4,776 Posts
The service manual details a procedure for bleeding air from the thermostat housing and rocking the bike from side to side when the coolant is changed. It's not clear if you did that, in which case there could be a bunch of air in the system that will take a while to remove via heating & cooling cycles.

"out of nowhere started giving me an issue where the coolant will bubble in the overflow"
This makes me wonder if your head gasket is leaking. Is there a constant bubbling?

yup, we need to find out if the system is full or not, then move onto a cause if it is..

I always fill a beaker to the exact ML's when I do oil and coolant, any liquids for that matter save brake fluid, same way you do forks and shocks, by volume

it's the only way you can tell if the system is full or not after a flush, if its not full that could be the very reason its overheating, if this flush was routine no reason to think his gasket is fubared unless he put cold coolant into a very hot block?

drain again, pump out as much residual you can, fill a beaker with exact volume in ML's, fill.. go from there..usually a 500cc beaker does the job, one gallon = 3785, half gallon = 1892, 1 quart = 946

2001 GSXR 1000 coolant capacity, 2150 ml, 2.3/1.9 US/imperial Qt.

2150 - 1892 = 258

you need a container that holds or measure out exactly 258ML's

OR, you can divide 1 quart by 258, 946 / 258 = 3.6

so a quart holds roughly 258 3.6 times, a few ounces over 1.3 of a quart if you have no measuring apparatus handy..

2.3 quarts... 2 quarts is half gallon, then you need a quart bottle to eyeball 1/3 of the way full, you now have the exact amount, or close enough as the reservoir will suck/expel after one heat cycle..

2.3 quarts..

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

only starts bubbling when it’s at operating temp no white smoke or any power loss

1 - 8 of 8 Posts