Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Everybody,
I’m Corey – New to the forum!

I have a 2001 GSXR 750 that I got from my bro. He tipped the bike over going about 10mph and it has been in the garage for the last 7 years.
Here is what I have done so far:
Deep cleaned the tank because there was a lot of rust and put fresh fuel in it.
Replaced the whole fuel pump assembly and extra cleaned the filter
Tested the fuel pump with a fuel hose and a bottle to see it flow when I turn it on
Bench tested fuel injectors, replaced 1 that didn't spray
Replaced the spark plugs and tested the spark on the ignition coils
Cleaned out the air box and filter.
Put in a new battery – Reads 12.39v on and 11.81v when cranking bike
Replaced the spark plugs and tested the spark on the ignition coils
Cleaned out the air box and filter.
Connected the kickstand switch so it stays open
Tested all the fuses in box and behind battery
Drained and refilled coolant
Changed oil and filter

When I turn the ignition on, I hear the fuel pump prime for a couple seconds.

I took off air box cover, sprayed starter fluid in the 4 throttle bodies and it starts for a quick second. It’s very inconsistent when it turns over. I crank it 10 times, and it might turn over 3 time.
When I get it on for more than a second, I give it gas, it does good and then dies 3 seconds later.

I've tried the choke in many positions, full on, 50%, 25%.
The best position so far is about 50% on

There are no check engine codes. -C00 (in the center position).
Oil light on (does not flash) - When bike cranks, the light turns off.
When I turn key, bike does say “CHEC”
I leave it in dealers mode, and don’t turn off the key incase a code pops up during cranking.
Any suggestions are appreciated!

·
Registered
3,520 Posts
Have you done a compression test yet? It sounds like its cranking a little to fast to me.
Are you stva valves opening? Might be choking the air.
Can you keep it running by spraying starter fluid in it continuously?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yes, forgot to mention that.
All 4 cylinders were compression tested (11 bars) Very close to each other.

Not sure about stva valves opening.
How would I test that?

I will try spraying starter fluid in it continuously and see how that goes!

·
Registered
3,520 Posts
Take the airbox off and look at the secondary flaps in the throttlebodies. They are actually the top ones you see, your throttle blades controlled by you are under them. I would leave the airbox off for now too just to make working on it easier.

·
Registered
3,520 Posts
Silly thing too but have you checked the tip over sensor?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The valves do not move at all during turn on or cranking.
They used to open and close during tuning the ignition on.
That just stopped recently.

I did try to start it and keep it going by continuously spraying starter fluid, but that did not work. Same problems persist like the video.

I checked the resistance on the tip over sensor and there was none.
(unplugged the 2 wire harness and tried to read ohms from the TOS harness)
I left the harness unplugged, turned ignition on and the fuel pump still ran for a couple seconds, but there was code C23 for the TOS

Since there was no resistance on the TOS, should I get a used one to see if it work - or did I test it the wrong way?

·
Registered
3,520 Posts
Did you shake the tos? You can hear the ball rolling around. You can test resistance again to see if it changes once the ball moves to the other side if you want but i believe its working. If you disconnected it and you got no codes then that would be a different story.
The stva recent failure is a bit worrysome but at least they are open. I would imagine you are now getting codes for it since it cant perform its self check or maybe something has failed in the system and it thinks its rotating but its not. The bike should still run with them wide open.
Did you check for spark on every plug at the plug? Like physically ground the plug to the engine?
Are you running a power commander?
How do the plugs look when you pull them out? They should be absolutely drenched fuel with all the starting you are trying.
Have you inspected the wiring for any critter damage?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I shook the tos and I hear the ball rolling around. I tested resistance again and it still shows nothing.

The bike has spark, I tested each spark plug grounding it to the engine. The plugs look brand new when I pull them out. Not drenched in fuel

Not running a power commander or any mods like that

Wiring looks good - I don't see any critter damage!

·
Registered
3,520 Posts
With all the cranking and spraying your doing I would expect the plugs to be drenched in fuel.

Does the starting fluid at least make starting easier and quicker even if it dies quickly. Like if I disconnect my fuel pump I can spray starter fluid into each throttle body, not a ton mind you, and the bike fires on it's 2nd or 3rd rotation and runs for a couple seconds.
With the sudden death of the stva system maybe you knocked some out. Might be worth checking spark and stuff again.

I was hoping you had a power commander so I could go down the timing route but that's not the case here.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts