Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner

01 1k still stalling

637 views 17 replies 8 participants last post by  Squid4Life 
#1 ·
i saw a few post in the past with the same problem on a 01 1k . when i wack the throttle and let go the rpm go all the way down and the bike stallsso i tried raising the idle ,nothing it stalled again but only when i twist throttle real fast and let go . the other post said to change the tps so i did i changed the upper main tps. i also taken the fuel pump apart and cleaned that ,no luck i have new plugs and a new air filter and i got the ems system cust.map again no luck. the mech thinks it is the valves because i have 13k miles on the bike anyone please help i put bike to factory settings no ems and i took the tre off still no luck

#4 ·
i changed the tps and hooked it up to my laptop to check the settings and placed it at 0 but still no luck try taking your fuel pump out and take it apart its real easy there is a screen inside the bottom and mine was really dirty but io still have the stalling problem its just an idea for u to trouble shoot good luck

#5 ·
The upper TPS is the secondary TPS. The main one is the lower.

You adjusted the TPS with a laptop? You can use the dealer mode or a multimeter (voltage or resistance measurement) to adjust the TPS, but unless you can connect your laptop to the ECU I doubt you can do it with that. Maybe you adjusted your PCIII?

#9 ·
Jetspeed, you may want to check that again. The service manual calls it "STP sensor", that is secondary throttle position sensor. I just figured that if I use the term "STP sensor" instead of "secondary TPS", then I would just confuse the guy, who is obvously not very familiar with the manual.

Pissonhonda, when you replace the real TPS make sure this time you use the dealer mode to adjust the position of the sensor. I assume you know how to activate the dealer mode. Once you are done leave the bike in dealer mode and start it. Then bring the engine to operating temperature and make sure that your idle speed is set to 1150-1200RPM and check/readjust the TPS adjustment again while the bike is idling. After that you can also reset the throttle position in the EMS.

Once all this is done test your stalling problem and let us know how it went.

#11 ·
on the left side of your subframe between your trunk & the outside body the is a 2 prong plug it is white with a cap on it take the cap off then make yourself a short piece of wire with both ends bare stick them in the plug with one end contacting each steel prong.then start your bike up let it get warmed up set the idle at 1250.look at your instument panel where your temp shows you will see a horizontal line you need to adjust the tps until the line settles in the middle position then lock it down & make sure it remains there remove the wire replace the cap & your done.

#13 ·
Greeetings Earthlings....!!! My friend has an 01' gixxer and started having the exact same symptoms about 3 weeks ago. After asking different mechanics and bike shops about the problem for weeks he finally took it to the dealer last week. After several tests... they have determined that an intake valve on the no. 2 cylinder is not functioning properly. The fix is a complete valve job quoted at about $1700
!! Since he has the extended warranty, the dealer is contacting Factory Suzuki to see if it's going to be covered. the bike has 42k miles on it. They were supposed to let him know something today. I'll post again when I talk to him tommorrow.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.