Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
00 750 won\'t accel past 7K RPM

2000 gsxr 750.

the bike will not accellerate past 7000 RPM's.

Pretty much if I try and go Wide open throttle, or accellerate hard, the bike just surges and jumps forward and sometimes backfires. The RPM's won't go over 7K RPM.

THe tank is rusted on the inside because it was sitting for 2 years.

I'm thinking it could be that the rust has clogged the fuel filter.

Any ideas?

BTW -- the spark plugs seem clean.

·
Premium Member
3,847 Posts
Re: 00 750 won\'t accel past 7K RPM

fuel delivery problems could definitely cause this behavior. Usuallly, I'd run a volume & pressure test on the fuel system if I suspected such problems, but considering you already know the tank's hosed, I'd probably suggest you go ahead & pull the fuel pump, and inspect the filter. Don't run the bike until you do... you don't want to run the risk of crap making it through the fuel filter & into the injectors, though this could have already happened.

There are other common causes for the problem you describe, but that's what I'd check first. And make sure to either replace that tank (and all fuel in it), or have it properly cleaned before using it.

·
Registered
118 Posts

I bought my 2000 GSXR750 about two years ago. I got a good deal because it wouldn't run past 8k RPM's. After looking around for a short time I found the tank was very rusted. There are small screens in front of each injector that were plugged with rust. The pump was also very dirty. Here is how I fixed it.

Take the tank all the way off the bike, and remove the fuel pump. The pump can be cleaned but I would recommend replacement. New pumps are expensive but there are a few on Ebay right now. Here is one for $9.95 +shipping auction number 4542982408.

If you are impatient like me and don't want to wait for a pump you can remove the three nuts at the base and the two screws on the side. The main plastic portion will slide out of the metal base. Remove the white plastic clip and the pressure regulator(I think) can be removed. Spray everything with brake cleaner until you can't see anymore rust draining from any where (It took about three cans for me). Reassemble and it should work fine.

Remove the fuel line, rail, and injectors. Spray out the fuel rail and line.

The injectors have a small screen on the inlet side. To clean the injectors I used more brake clean. I cut the small red tube that comes with the can down to about an inch. You can use this tube to spray backwards through the injector. You will need to supply the injector with 12V to open it. There is a small + marked on one terminal. DO NOT apply constant power to the injector. Have a friend rapidly tap your jumper wire to a battery while you spray.

Everything should be clean at this point, you can reinstall the injectors, rail, and fuel line. I tried to reuse the injector o-rings and had a leak, so it might be a good idea to replace them.

There will still be alot of rust in the tank that must be removed. A radiator shop should be able to remove the rust with an acid then coat the inside with a special tank liner. Again, I was impatient so I did it myself. I used a product call Kreem Liquid Fuel Tank Liner that I purchased at my local suzuki dealership. There are other products available that will work, just make sure that they will eliminate the rust.

This is a three part process. The first chemical neutralizes the rust, the second etches the metal surface, and the last is the liner. Each liquid will be poured into the tank, then the tank is sealed and shaken. The liquids must be removed from the tank which is a problem because the fill hole and the pump hole both have small flanges that prevent and liquid from be removed completly. My solution was a turkey baster with a piece of tubing attached to it.

Put everything back together and you should be ready to ride!!!

I will check this post regularly if you have any more questions/problems.

On a side note. My pump only lasted another 3k miles and I recently had one injector plug up again. I plan to replace all my injector as soon as a set comes up on Ebay.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

Awesome advice fellas. Thanks. It is going to take me awhile, because like everyone else I don't have much time right now. Plus I have an 03 R1 to ride.

I bought this bike as a project bike partly to learn/practice my horrible mechanic skills on for $2000. It was a stolen recovery so I work on it whenever I get time.

I am going to try what you did KCrider.

I will post up the results. It probably will be a couple weeks though.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

UPDATE 12/30/05

sorry for the delay, yeah its been awhile. i was deployed for a while.

the problem was the fuel pump. it was completely rusted and clogged with all kinds of stuff. i ended up buying a new tank and pump for $50 shipped, which is near the price i would of paid to buy the acid stuff to clean the tank. the new tank isn't pretty but it is mechanically fine.

i pulled out the throttle bodies and before tearing apart the injectors and going through the cables i asked a guy who used to race and who owns a performance shop about cleaning it out with brake cleaner etc. he said, don't do that, you can eat up some rubber hoses and what not. he told me to put it back together and to take the bike out and ride it real hard.

so i took out the bike and dogged it out and it runs smooth now with the new pump/filter/tank. i gotta admit that suzuki bikes are tough.

thanks for all your advice especially KCrider. and i got picture of how rusty the tank and pump were, if i can figure out how to post them.

·
Here is your "R"
6,926 Posts

You dont need to screens on the injectors, a lot of racers rip them out. If you leave race fuel in a bike it gums up the injectors thats the first thing to get clogged.

·
Registered
118 Posts

Glad to hear you got it running!!!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts