Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
the cooling fan is not running.

1. The fuse is good
2. The fan is good (checked by direct link to battery).
3. Cooling fan thermo-switch (on radiator) was replaced.

could it be the thermostat, or coolant/thermo sensor on engine next to the thermostat?
or is it an electrical problem?

it was suggested to me, that the gauge might have something to do with it.

the temperature seems to read oK on the gauges, but the fan never kicks on when it should, and the bike overheats.

bike = 2000 gsxr 750

any suggestions would be great. thanks in advance

·
Here is your "R"
6,926 Posts
Sounds like a bad connection or burned out wire, sometimes that happens. Are you sure you replaced the thermosensor on the radiator with a brand new one? I think 210 deg is when the fan kicks on

·
Registered
29 Posts
i picked up my thermo sensor from my boy out of his bike (works fine in his) i had the bike at 260 and shut it down cause fan was not comming on and overflow bottle was boiling

·
Here is your "R"
6,926 Posts
i picked up my thermo sensor from my boy out of his bike (works fine in his) i had the bike at 260 and shut it down cause fan was not comming on and overflow bottle was boiling
Go buy a new thermo switch there only 20 something bucks from ron ayers. I put a thermo swicth that worked before, and motor only had 500 miles. That didnt work or try cleaning the sensor

Also make sure you coolant is full and no air bubble make sure its all purged.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I'm sure I replaced the thermo sensor on the radiator. It was $30. I drained the coolant and replaced it, and bled out all the air. Fan still does not kick on when it should.

I'm thinking about trying to hook the fan directly to the battery so it always runs. Anybody done this before? good/bad idea?

·
Registered
179 Posts
purge the system.. the purge valve is under the gas tank .. thee is a screw and let all the air get out.. had the same problem.. i had a air bubble.. purges the system and fixed it..

·
Registered
394 Posts
While your at it, remove the fan if you are not riding (re: posing) in traffic. Your bike will run cooler.

·
Premium Member
3,847 Posts
While your at it, remove the fan if you are not riding (re: posing) in traffic. Your bike will run cooler.
kind of depends no where you live, Che

That might work inthe great white north, but for those of us down here in hell... you get stopped at a light for 1 minute without a fan, in the summertime, and you're in trouble.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
c Rock 1, you were right. i must of had some air remaining. i loosened that screw, then some coolant leaked like it is supposed too. then i tightened it and let it get up to temperature. At 221, the fan kicked on.

thanks for the advice.

che, by the way, i was riding in the winter up in NJ in the 30 degree range, and it would overheat on the highway, without the fan.

·
Registered
830 Posts
Sounds like a bad connection or burned out wire, sometimes that happens. Are you sure you replaced the thermosensor on the radiator with a brand new one? I think 210 deg is when the fan kicks on
actually the fan should kick on at 221 degrees and go off at 212 degrees.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts