Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

· Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just bought a 2002 GSXR 600 with 20K miles. The guy said it had sat for 7 months and I guarantee the fuel had ethanol in it. It starts right up, idles fine, and will redline in neutral. Cruising out of my driveway in first gear is fine but as soon as I hit the road and do anything more than just slightly hit the throttle once it gets to like 5-6K it just feels like it will not go any further, if I hold the throttle in the same position it will jerk like it wants to push through but goes right back to how it was. You can get the bike up to higher speeds like 100 it just takes some fighting through it to get there. I drained the gas which you could tell was bad at this point, looked at the fuel pump and it looks old and corroded, I clean the filter on the bottom, put some new plugs in and it ran a little better but did not fix the problem. I have a new fuel pump kit ordered but I just want to see if there’s anything I’m over looking. I’ve read a ton of forums just not sure if anyone is exactly having the same issue as me. I’ve heard it could be the battery, my battery was too low to start when I got the bike home but after charging it I haven’t had any issues.
the tank also has some rust which I’m going to clean, just need some suggestions and input, I’m really not wanting to go to a shop and spend an arm and a leg to get it running properly. I’m not extremely mechanically inclined which is why I just need some suggestions to look at because I can fix it if I can diagnose it correctly. Any input will be appreciated.

· Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Update: rode the bike again tonight, drained the gas and put 100% pure gas and some sea foam and now it’s running a lot better but I still feel like it is not 100%. First gear still hesitates hard but the rest of the gears seem alot better. Glad it’s getting there just confused why it’s still doing it in first gear.

· Premium Member
8,062 Posts
injectors might need a cleaning, when gas evaporates it leaves a varnish residue behind.. sea foam should help loosen that up and remove it, if not they are rebuildable and easy to celan with some makeshift tools, all kids of youtubes on it.. can of spray cleaner, 9 volt battery and some wire with alligator clips

1 - 3 of 3 Posts