Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Did a search already on info about what front calipers interchange on a 2001 katana 600 and found no answers. So my question is, what calipers will fit? I am looking to upgrade like I did long ago on my ‘90 gsxr750 to gold ‘busa 6 pots. Please help.

·
Registered
290 Posts
Possible but you'll need adapters and spacers. Look at this post on katriders:

Katriders is pretty much dead nowadays, but that's the place to go to find information about your kan-o-tuna. It used to be a great forum, amazing people, but considering the newest Katanas are almost old enough to vote...

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Possible but you'll need adapters and spacers. Look at this post on katriders:

Katriders is pretty much dead nowadays, but that's the place to go to find information about your kan-o-tuna. It used to be a great forum, amazing people, but considering the newest Katanas are almost old enough to vote...
I looked on katriders.com and didn’t see anything helpful. I just want a simple bolt on swap upgrade like I did on my gsxr750 by switching to the gold 6 pots from a ‘busa. Thanks anyway. Guess I’m stuck with the factory 2 pots.

·
Premium Member
171 Posts
There have been discussions in the past (likely at least several years ago now that I recall) in the oil-cooled forum regarding 4 pot versus 6 pot calipers. Most conclusions from the experienced members was that there was no clear advantage of switching to 6 pots. In fact, some argued that the 4 pots were every bit as good if not better for some set ups.

I don’t know if the gixxer.com search feature is working correctly or not after the site changes last year that screwed it all up but if it’s working, you should be able to find those threads.

Nevertheless, staying with the 4 pots is by no means a bad choice. Most will agree that going to braided lines gives you the best upgrade regardless of the calipers, as long as your rotors and pads are in good shape/upgraded. Quite frankly, if you have braided lines, hh pads and good rotors, I’d move to a radial master cylinder before I’d worry about the calipers.

Good luck

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
290 Posts
98+ Katanas came with 2 pot floating calipers, it was the original Katanas that had the 4 pot calipers with smaller rotors.

You'll need the same adapters used on SV650s to mount GSX-R calipers, you can chose from 4 or 6 pot ones, and then some spacers as the rotor offset is not the same as on a SV650. It's pretty simple.

·
Premium Member
171 Posts
Apologies to all...I misread the OP as wanting to bump from 4 to 6, rather than 2 to 6. I’m not very familiar with the newer 2 pot system to know if my post is relevant regarding the caliper swap.

Please pardon my oversight in my haste to assist.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 8 of 8 Posts