Newbie question...downshifting to first? - Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-14-2006, 07:42 AM Thread Starter
Provisional Novice

Motorcycle: 2006 Suzuki GSX-R 600 Blue/White
Exclamation Newbie question...downshifting to first?

i got my bike this past wednesday 5/10/06, and i got 252 on the odometer, i abosolutly love the bike. i do encounter a problem engaging 1st gear at a stop like some people have on this forum, but like they said alls i do is roll the bike forward and then roll it backwards and then it engages no problem...my question to you experienced riders out there is when coming to a stop whether it be a traffic light or stop sign, it doesnt make a difference, it makes me cringe to downshift into first, your never suppose to do that in a car, and i was just wondering should it be done on a regular basis on my bike or any bike for that matter? or should i wait until i come to a complete stop and then downshift into first...im not a moron i have been around cars a lot and worked on them may times over, but im sorry for the newbie question, i am new to motorcycles...

garrett
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-14-2006, 07:46 AM
Bearded Admin call him Grizzly

Motorcycle: 2001 GSXR 1000 modded to the hilt, 2000 GSXR 600 race bike
Re: Newbie question...downshifting to first?

dont know who told you that, I always downshift into first before coming to a stop. most of the time before im even on the brakes
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-14-2006, 08:00 AM
Amateur

Motorcycle: K4 GSXR1000

It's definitely no big deal shifting down into first as long as you're going slow enough before doing it. In a car that is especially true because you'll overspeed the clutch and could destroy it. (I actually downshifted to first at 50 when I was young and stupid and it blew the clutch apart even though I never engaged the clutch). I had that clutch plate turning at least twice the maximum RPM.

If you're down below 20-30 on that bike and especially if you blip the throttle to match engine speed it is no problem at all. I do it all the time. I've downshifted to first as high as 50 no problem.

As far as the going into first goes, that will all get easier as the transmission gears wear in. My own recommendation is to stay with regular oil for the first 5K miles to ensure a total break-in and then switch to a high end synthetic like Silkolene Pro4 plus. The synthetics really are that good that wear is pretty much eliminated at that point. Also, since they lubricate so well, once you make the swtch, the shifting will get better yet.

I've had 4 bikes so far, and that's what I've observed as the truth. I'm sure there's always someone to debate it, but........

Johncal
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-14-2006, 08:42 AM
IJ6
Amateur

Motorcycle: GSX-R750K6 Black/Black

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpdgsxr1000
dont know who told you that, I always downshift into first before coming to a stop. most of the time before im even on the brakes
Same here, you should be looking and judging what is going to happen in front of you before it does, what if the lights change just as you roll to a stop? youre sat there looking like a noob rocking your bike back and forth rofl.
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-14-2006, 09:13 AM
Provisional Novice

Motorcycle: 04 GSXR 600 (All black) 05 GSXR 600 (yellow)

its also good to be in first when you come to a stop just in case you have to move real fast to avoid that semi thats about to make you look like a greasy spot on the road
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-14-2006, 12:19 PM
Amateur

Quote:
Originally Posted by GSXRKRUG
its also good to be in first when you come to a stop just in case you have to move real fast to avoid that semi thats about to make you look like a greasy spot on the road
Yea, that is no joke. I had to make an emergency stop from about 90 last weekend while trying to catch up to my friends who were racing each other and a good way ahead of me. In my haste to stop, I didnt drop it down into first and it was the devil trying to get it down gears while stopped.
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-14-2006, 01:43 PM
Provisional Novice

Try to blip gas while disengaged clutch at the stop. It helped me when I was riding my RS 125 which had problems shifting to first while at stop, but haven't got any that on my GSX-R 600 K6
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-14-2006, 07:34 PM
Provisional Novice

Yeah I kinda had this same question with these bikes and it doesn't feel natural yet to shift into first. My impulses from driving a 5 speed make me want to keep it in 2nd when I get slow, pull the clutch in and then give it a little bit extra of a rev to start from a slower roll in second.
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-16-2006, 02:43 AM
Squid

Motorcycle: 06 Gixxer750

Always downshift to first while coming to a stop. You should always be in the appropriate gear for your road speed, as mentioned before, if an emergency situation occurs and you need to get on the throttle to get out of the way it will save your life. Try hammering the throttle in second gear at 20MPH and you won't be going anywhere fast for a second or two, which might be the second or two you'll need. Also, why add to unneeded wear on the brakes when the engine can do most of it. If I'm riding around casual like, I don't even touch the brake(s) untill I'm down to 10-15MPH. Just blip the throttle to match your engine speed for each downshift, doesn't take long to make it second nature. Cheers.

K6 GSX-R750 Black/Yellow...Lovin It
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-16-2006, 12:05 PM
Track Day Winner

Motorcycle: 2006 GSX-R 600

I always downshift to first when slowing down at a red light, but if the light you know is real quick, just stagger and stay in second. That's what I do.
post #11 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-16-2006, 12:26 PM
Expert

Motorcycle: Suzuki GSX-R, Honda VFR, 1971 CB750, 1976 OMER 50 sport, Aprilia Habana

the K6 seems to me a litle weird when down shifting to 1st compared to other bikes. Even at 10mph it makes a big clunk noise.
Other wise I agree the above.
post #12 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-16-2006, 01:24 PM
Amateur

just release clutch and pull it in again. should shift easily to 1st then
post #13 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-16-2006, 04:47 PM
Track Day Winner

Motorcycle: 2006 GSXR 750

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodzilla71
Also, why add to unneeded wear on the brakes when the engine can do most of it. If I'm riding around casual like, I don't even touch the brake(s) untill I'm down to 10-15MPH. Just blip the throttle to match your engine speed for each downshift, doesn't take long to make it second nature. Cheers.
i use the engine too so don't think i'm trying to be a jerk...this was just the thought that came to mind when i read your comment.

but aren't brakes for braking and engine for accel. not engine for breaking? wouldn't that cause more wear and tear on your engine?
post #14 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-16-2006, 06:51 PM
Amateur

Motorcycle: GSXR 600 K6, '05 CRF 50

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocketdan
i use the engine too so don't think i'm trying to be a jerk...this was just the thought that came to mind when i read your comment.

but aren't brakes for braking and engine for accel. not engine for breaking? wouldn't that cause more wear and tear on your engine?
it's only going to hurt your engine if you are downshifting too early and that sucker is bouncing off the rev limiter. I think you should be downshifting and upshifting through every gear for the initial break-in so that every thing gets broken in properly. Mine also feels a lil clunky but shoudl clear up with more miles on it.
post #15 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-16-2006, 06:53 PM
Track Day Winner

Also, in the MSF course they teach you to downshift to first. Just my two cents.
post #16 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-16-2006, 09:28 PM
Superbike

Motorcycle: really fast

Quote:
Originally Posted by zope_pope
Also, in the MSF course they teach you to downshift to first. Just my two cents.
Definitely do the MSF. It's WELL worth it.

I just did it last month after 12 years of riding, and I still learned alot.
post #17 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-16-2006, 09:33 PM
Squid

Motorcycle: 06 Gixxer750

There will be no damage to the engine using it for breaking. Unless like mentioned you are testing out the rev limiter. Match your engine speed and no problemo.
post #18 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-17-2006, 07:06 AM
Track Day Winner

Motorcycle: 2006 GSXR 600

when I am in "N" at a stop light some times I cant get it into first. what I do is just roll back a hair and it goes in no prob. I also hear gears grinding whe going from 2nd to 1st. but only when I coast in 2nd with the cluch pulled in then tap down to 1st
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode