OEM vs Aftermarket Chain/Sprocket set and pitch - Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com
 5Likes
  • 1 Post By BillV
  • 1 Post By BillV
  • 1 Post By spike52
  • 1 Post By Clipper
  • 1 Post By MacBayne

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-14-2019, 02:01 PM Thread Starter
Provisional Novice

Motorcycle: 2007 GSXR 600
Garage
OEM vs Aftermarket Chain/Sprocket set and pitch

So I know I need to replace my chain here soon... Like maybe in the next couple of weeks kind of soon. I was wondering if you all know of a way to tell if the bike has an after market sprocket and chain set or OEM. I know I could probably just remove the cover and count do a tooth count on the front and rear sprockets.. But is there another way, would they possibly be stamped with some sort of an identifier as to manufacturer, tooth count and pitch?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-14-2019, 02:33 PM
You should listen to me. No, seriously, listen to me.

Motorcycle: Blue 2006 GSX-R1000
Re: OEM vs Aftermarket Chain/Sprocket set and pitch

If the rear is aluminum, it's aftermarket. Not certain about yours, but OEM front sprockets are normally cushioned while most aftermarket are not. Again not sure about yours, but rear sprockets are commonly made by Sunstar and so marked - including the tooth count, though that's easy for you to count. Compare the cutouts in the rear with those in the service manual. OEM chains are commonly made by DID. This may be mentioned in the service manual.
Meeps likes this.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-14-2019, 02:42 PM Thread Starter
Provisional Novice

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillV View Post
If the rear is aluminum, it's aftermarket. Not certain about yours, but OEM front sprockets are normally cushioned while most aftermarket are not. Again not sure about yours, but rear sprockets are commonly made by Sunstar and so marked - including the tooth count, though that's easy for you to count. Compare the cutouts in the rear with those in the service manual. OEM chains are commonly made by DID. This may be mentioned in the service manual.
Bill thanks for the info. I actually broke away from desk at work. Stepped outside and looked at the rear sprocket for any kind of markings. I came across 526AS-43, when I searched it came up as a 520 pitch, 43 tooth, Vortex sprocket. However does not look like any of the vortex sprockets I've seen and did not see a manufacturer name stamp on it, then again I can only inspect so much here at work.

At least now I know I need a 520 pitch chain at 110 links.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-14-2019, 06:16 PM
You should listen to me. No, seriously, listen to me.

Motorcycle: Blue 2006 GSX-R1000

The K6 600 manual says the chain is an RK525SMOZ7Y with 114 links. Presumably K7 is the same. So yours is completely different.
Meeps likes this.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-14-2019, 07:41 PM
Mod w/ no fucks left...

Motorcycle: 2011 1K....'04 Kawi 636 trackwhore
Quote:
Originally Posted by Meeps View Post
So I know I need to replace my chain here soon... Like maybe in the next couple of weeks kind of soon. I was wondering if you all know of a way to tell if the bike has an after market sprocket and chain set or OEM. I know I could probably just remove the cover and count do a tooth count on the front and rear sprockets.. But is there another way, would they possibly be stamped with some sort of an identifier as to manufacturer, tooth count and pitch? [IMG class=inlineimg]/forums/images/smilies/monkeyface.gif[/IMG]
For a new kit, go here..👍

www.motomummy.com
Meeps likes this.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-15-2019, 09:44 PM
Squid

Quote:
Originally Posted by spike52 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Meeps View Post
So I know I need to replace my chain here soon... Like maybe in the next couple of weeks kind of soon. I was wondering if you all know of a way to tell if the bike has an after market sprocket and chain set or OEM. I know I could probably just remove the cover and count do a tooth count on the front and rear sprockets.. But is there another way, would they possibly be stamped with some sort of an identifier as to manufacturer, tooth count and pitch? [IMG class=inlineimg]/forums/images/smilies/monkeyface.gif[/IMG]
For a new kit, go here..👍

www.motomummy.com

That link did not work for me. I’m also in market for new kit.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-16-2019, 04:58 AM
Track Day Winner

Motorcycle: GSXR 750 K5 Anniversary

For what it's worth... Suzuki have been using the rubber cushioned front sprocket for a long time, my RGV250 had that back in the 1990s.

I've found that for a road bike it makes a noticeable difference so I tend to buy OEM fronts.

Normally, you can get a good deal on full kits from reputable makers, DID or RK for example, with a non-cushioned front sprocket which makes it more economical to buy the full kit then buy the OEM front sprocket from the dealer and just throw away the one which comes with the kit (or use it as a coaster / paper-weight / ninja star or whatever....)
Meeps likes this.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-16-2019, 12:53 PM Thread Starter
Provisional Novice

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rscott8806 View Post
That link did not work for me. Iím also in market for new kit.
The link works, you just have to browse to the kits. Spike provided a working link but did not spoon feed us, which I appreciate... why? Because then I can go through and configure what I want and feel is appropriate and besides... spoon feeding completely able body adults and people just leads itself to dependence upon someone.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-18-2019, 02:05 AM
Hand-Eye Coordinator

Motorcycle: 2014 675R, 2019 Husky TE300i, 2014 Grom. Yes, Grom, fuck you, it's fun.

The OEM sprockets are stamped Sunstar on them.

Don't obsess over pitch of the chain- that point is moot. If you like the gear ratio, count the teeth and order a kit from a reputable site. OEM 525 O ring chain is junk compared to aftermarket 520 X ring. Go 520 X ring, steel front, and steel OR aluminum OR steel/aluminum rear.
Meeps likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode