upper headlight bulb mystery k7 750 - Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By jbaker

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-23-2019, 03:44 PM Thread Starter
Track Day Winner

upper headlight bulb mystery k7 750

I recently removed an hid headlight kit from my k7 750. A previous owner had it installed.

Removal was fine. However, when I came to put a standard h7 bulb into the upper headlight to replace
the hid bulb, the connector on the bike is for an h4 bulb, not h7.

It states clearly in the manual that the bulb is an h7 55w, and h7 bulbs fit perfectly into the headlight, an h4 won't fit,
but the connector is h4 sized. I cannot understand it. I have traced the connector wire back into the main
arterial wiring at the front of the bike and it appears to be oem, as I thought for some reason someone had
put an h4 connector on, maybe for the hid kit. However, the hid kit just connected via pins to the h4 connector
for power so it didn't really matter what kind of connector it was anyway as long as it had power going to it.

I have sorted the problem by making two short wires with a male and female connector on either end, the male goes
into the h4 connector and the female on the h7 bulb pin, it works fine so it is sorted, but I just wondered if anyone
had any ideas how it could be like this? Has someone definitely put an h4 connector on in some way, or is there an
h7 sized bulb that uses an h4 style connector I haven't been able to find? It has me stumped at the moment.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-23-2019, 03:49 PM
Provisional Novice

Motorcycle: 2007 GSXR 600
Garage
Re: upper headlight bulb mystery k7 750

Quote:
Originally Posted by thegsl View Post
I recently removed an hid headlight kit from my k7 750. A previous owner had it installed.

Removal was fine. However, when I came to put a standard h7 bulb into the upper headlight to replace
the hid bulb, the connector on the bike is for an h4 bulb, not h7.

It states clearly in the manual that the bulb is an h7 55w, and h7 bulbs fit perfectly into the headlight, an h4 won't fit,
but the connector is h4 sized. I cannot understand it. I have traced the connector wire back into the main
arterial wiring at the front of the bike and it appears to be oem, as I thought for some reason someone had
put an h4 connector on, maybe for the hid kit. However, the hid kit just connected via pins to the h4 connector
for power so it didn't really matter what kind of connector it was anyway as long as it had power going to it.

I have sorted the problem by making two short wires with a male and female connector on either end, the male goes
into the h4 connector and the female on the h7 bulb pin, it works fine so it is sorted, but I just wondered if anyone
had any ideas how it could be like this? Has someone definitely put an h4 connector on in some way, or is there an
h7 sized bulb that uses an h4 style connector I haven't been able to find? It has me stumped at the moment.
Could it be that the lower light should be the h4 and that there is an h4 plug and that upper bulb is an h7 with an h7 plug. But that the H7 was placed into the lower part of the light itself instead up in the upper like it should?
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-23-2019, 07:11 PM
Hand-Eye Coordinator

Motorcycle: 2014 675R, 2019 Husky TE300i, 2014 Grom. Yes, Grom, fuck you, it's fun.

HID headlights use what's called a ballast. The ballast basically turns the bike's 12V supply to thousands of volts to make an electric arc inside the HID bulb that is filled with a gas. IT works KINDA like a neon sign or fluorescent fixture. If you put an OEM bulb in a HID socket, you will get fireworks and a pop.

You need to remove not just the bulb, but the entire HID setup, then replace the socket with an OEM replacement.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-24-2019, 03:31 AM Thread Starter
Track Day Winner

Thanks for the replies much appreciated.

To clarify, the lower bulb is an h9, different connector, and there is an h9 in place.

The upper bulb is definitely an h7 as per the manual.

The mystery is why the connector for the h7 bulb is an h4 connector.

I removed all the hid kit, as per the original post, so yes all the ballast and all wiring etc all gone.

The hid kit plugged into the h4 connector for power, a male pin into the female connector of the h4.

It doesn't matter really what kind of connector the hid was powered from, h4 or h7, so I cannot understand
why someone would of put an h4 connector on instead of an h7 one. Plus as I say, it appears to be oem the connector
I cannot find where it has been spliced in if indeed it has. A mystery at the moment.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-24-2019, 07:43 AM
Track Day Winner

Garage

I hate when butcher's mess nice things up.

I'd use the spec's from the manual and rip out any backwards half-ass wiring you find.
I think there is probably an adapter stuck in the harness?

Look for the h7 connector on amazon, ebay, etc.

My K6 was jacked up when I got it last year. They had cut both light wires and ran the low bean switch to the high-beam bulb. The HID high-beam was glued in with epoxy and zip ties. It had a huge ass Toyota HID light controller box. The removable cover had been drilled and they used lamp cord. Then even added another extension of lamp cord using only electrical tape...

I ripped it all out and put a Halogen low beam and a LED High beam using solder and heat shrink since the high beam connector was MIA. Then, I sparingly used electrical tape on the ends of the heat shrink. I hacked the factory connector off and put a grommet for the HID. It came out water resistant and look way better than the hack before.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20190604_195331.jpg
Views:	3
Size:	103.6 KB
ID:	557810   Click image for larger version

Name:	20190609_094331.jpg
Views:	3
Size:	64.9 KB
ID:	557814  
thegsl likes this.

Last edited by jbaker; 06-24-2019 at 07:45 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode