Clutch Cover Leaking (Replaced gasket, still leaking) - Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com
 3Likes
  • 2 Post By SPL170db
  • 1 Post By BillV

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-01-2019, 05:52 PM Thread Starter
Squid

Clutch Cover Leaking (Replaced gasket, still leaking)

So, I replaced the clutch cover gasket on my 07 GSXR 600. It was leaking out of the top left, I've noticed from the previous owner there was some type of white bond on the old gasket (assuming it's been leaking before). The old gasket was broken in a few places and needed replacing. After replacing the gasket after one day it's back to leaking again. Is there some type of "bond" out there I can use to stop the leak? I don't see any cracks in the case, but this bike has definitely been down a few times.

Appreciate the help y'all.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-01-2019, 06:34 PM
You should listen to me. No, seriously, listen to me.

Motorcycle: Blue 2006 GSX-R1000
Re: Clutch Cover Leaking (Replaced gasket, still leaking)

I assume that yours gets the same as my K6 1000. Suzuki recommends Suzuki Bond 1207B, which I think is the same as Three Bond 1207B. Also see the recommendations in the K5/K6 1000 clutch mod sticky. Note that some of the attaching bolts use gasket washers and they're supposed to be replaced each time the cover is off. See the service manual, ENGINE>ENGINE COMPONENTS REMOVABLE WITH ENGINE IN PLACE>CLUTCH COVER>INSTALLATION. Clean the surfaces well. Racers sometimes omit the sealant on one side so that it doesn't break up when the cover is removed. But they will suffer small leaks.

P.S. Don't know about the clutch cover but there are some aftermarket stator cover gaskets that have a bead of sealant incorporated into the gasket. It seems like a good idea but I have limited experience with them.

Last edited by BillV; 06-01-2019 at 06:38 PM. Reason: Added P.S.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-01-2019, 06:49 PM Thread Starter
Squid

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillV View Post
I assume that yours gets the same as my K6 1000. Suzuki recommends Suzuki Bond 1207B, which I think is the same as Three Bond 1207B. Also see the recommendations in the K5/K6 1000 clutch mod sticky. Note that some of the attaching bolts use gasket washers and there are supposed to be replaced each time the cover is off. See the service manual, ENGINE>ENGINE COMPONENTS REMOVABLE WITH ENGINE IN PLACE>CLUTCH COVER>INSTALLATION. Clean the surfaces well. Racers sometimes omit the sealant on one side so that it doesn't break up when the cover is removed. But they will suffer small leaks.

P.S. Don't know about the clutch cover but there are some aftermarket stator cover gaskets that have a bead of sealant incorporated into the gasket. It seems like a good idea but I have limited experience with them.
Never knew those bolts needed washers! Can't seem to find them online though. I may just have to give that Three Bond a shot, appreciate your help man!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-01-2019, 07:16 PM
Chubby Chaser

Motorcycle: 2005 GSXR-1000 (track), 2006 GSXR-600 (track/race)

There's also 2 spots on the surface of the cases that your supposed to put a dot of silicone sealant. Its at the 2 joints where the cases split.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2019-06-01 at 8.14.51 PM.png
Views:	8
Size:	220.2 KB
ID:	557300  
Gottspeed and playbooster like this.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-01-2019, 07:32 PM Thread Starter
Squid

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPL170db View Post
There's also 2 spots on the surface of the cases that your supposed to put a dot of silicone sealant. Its at the 2 joints where the cases split.
Boom! There it is. It's leaking at the top right section where the arrow is lol. Y'all are awesome.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-01-2019, 07:51 PM
Chubby Chaser

Motorcycle: 2005 GSXR-1000 (track), 2006 GSXR-600 (track/race)

post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-02-2019, 04:19 AM
You should listen to me. No, seriously, listen to me.

Motorcycle: Blue 2006 GSX-R1000

"Can't seem to find them online though."
It's #6 here.
playbooster likes this.
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-05-2019, 06:41 PM Thread Starter
Squid

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillV View Post
"Can't seem to find them online though."
It's #6 .
Thanks man. I tried the three bond, still leaking out of the case at that damn bolt that requires the gasket lol. Gonna have to order one. Do you think I should use the gasket and some three bond or just attempt it with the gasket?
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-05-2019, 06:53 PM
Hand-Eye Coordinator

Motorcycle: 2014 675R, 2019 Husky TE300i, 2014 Grom. Yes, Grom, fuck you, it's fun.

Quote:
Originally Posted by playbooster View Post
Thanks man. I tried the three bond, still leaking out of the case at that damn bolt that requires the gasket lol. Gonna have to order one. Do you think I should use the gasket and some three bond or just attempt it with the gasket?
Did you replace the gasket, again? If you just took the cover off and then used the same gasket with the sealant, you may still get a leak. You also need to thoroughly clean those points before adding the sealant.
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-05-2019, 06:57 PM Thread Starter
Squid

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacBayne View Post
Did you replace the gasket, again? If you just took the cover off and then used the same gasket with the sealant, you may still get a leak. You also need to thoroughly clean those points before adding the sealant.
I did not use a new gasket (I just put a new one on a week ago and it looks ok). Do these gaskets get ruined after compression and decompression? I am aware I need to clean the entire area.
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-05-2019, 07:44 PM
Hand-Eye Coordinator

Motorcycle: 2014 675R, 2019 Husky TE300i, 2014 Grom. Yes, Grom, fuck you, it's fun.

Quote:
Originally Posted by playbooster View Post
I did not use a new gasket (I just put a new one on a week ago and it looks ok). Do these gaskets get ruined after compression and decompression? I am aware I need to clean the entire area.
Well, I bet that after a close inspection, you may notice a little damage at those case points.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode