Fuel light - Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By dpapavas

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 05-28-2019, 01:23 AM Thread Starter
Squid

Fuel light

I’ve got a Translogic dash which doesn’t have any input for low fuel other than you setting a mileage and resetting when filling up. I’ve tried searching but can’t find any info. Is it possible to wire a led to the fuel sensor to show like the factory dash would? Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 05-28-2019, 09:07 AM
I know things... A lot of things.

Motorcycle: GSXR 750 K4
Re: Fuel light

It looks like the fuel level sender is just a potentiometer on your model, so you should be reading a certain resistance for a certain fuel level between the B/W and B/Lg leads. A table in page 9-33 of the service manual lists a couple of resistance values to give you an idea of what to expect, but they should be easy to map out with a DMM. Wiring up a circuit to light an LED when the resistance crosses a threshold shouldn't be too hard, although it would require some circuit design experience, but the main problem would be that the sloshing around of the fuel inside the tank would result in the light going on and off constantly without appropriate smoothing.

In short it shouldn't be too hard to do, but it's not straightforward (unless you can find an off-the-shelf module for the job). It would require some experience with EE design and/or microcontrollers and even then you should expect to have to do some R&D for it to perform acceptably.
MacBayne likes this.
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 05-30-2019, 09:15 PM
Hand-Eye Coordinator

Motorcycle: 2014 675R, 2019 Husky TE300i, 2014 Grom. Yes, Grom, fuck you, it's fun.
Re: Fuel light

If you want a smart, over-complicated solution, might be worthwhile to find hobbyist electronics forums and asking questions. Look up the table on 9-33 and look at the resistances and then take that info to the forums and look into threads where someone made a warning light for a certain voltage value over time.

Something like this: https://forum.arduino.cc/index.php?topic=183046.0

For an analog low fuel light, you could use the following:

A stranded length of 24 gauge wire (think that's the OEM gauge, that's what my wire strippers told me, anyway),
Connector pins for said gauge,
an "'X'-Volt opening" diode,
an "'X'-Volt" LED.

How to do it:
First, you need a value of voltage value between the "send" side of the float sensor to ground at a particular level. The manual specifies a float point of 2.22 inches for a particular resistance reading, so I deduce that that fuel level is "low fuel" and the light comes on in an OEM gauge cluster, so let's just round it to 2 1/4 inches. Measure the voltage at idle, 5000 rpm, and maybe 8000 (shouldn't rev higher in neutral) with the fuel at 2 1/4 inches. Average that reading.

For the purposes of simplicity, let's say that the average voltage reading from the "send" side and ground at "low fuel" condition is 4V.

Time to make a low fuel light:

Connect a length of wire to the "send" side of the fuel float sensor output.
Connect the other end of that wire to the NOT STRIPED end of the diode.
Connect another length of wire to the STRIPED end of the diode and the other end to the LED.
Connect the other side of the LED to ground.

What will happen is that the resistance on the float sensor will lower as the fuel gets lower. Once the resistance drops enough, there will be "X" volts between the send side and ground. For the sake of simplicity we called it 4V. If we bought a 4V diode and a 4V LED, whenever the voltage output of the float sensor hit 4 volts, the diode will allow current to pass and it would light the LED. If it flickers, that's fuel sloshing around. If it becomes steady, you are below 2 1/4 inches.

Note: most LEDs are rated for 5V, so finding a "4V" would be difficult. Using a 5V LED just means that it will be dim at 4V. Maybe using a 5V diode with the 5V LED would give you more warning for low fuel since the resistance of the float decreases with fuel.

"A girl phoned me and said, "Come on over. There's nobody home." I went over. Nobody was home!"

-Dangerfield
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode