I f***ed up - Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By TheGeek

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 05-27-2019, 04:14 PM Thread Starter
Squid

I f***ed up

My bike is a 2006 GSXR 600. When I first got the bike it ran flawless. I did a basic tune up. Still ran flawless. Bike rode fantastic. When riding it, coming up to lights and stopping, it seemed that my idol was a tad bit low. Lower than other bikes around me of the same model. So I decided to adjust the idle a little bit. The previous owner put a hose on the low idle screw to make it easier to adjust without taking anything apart. This made me think that the fast idle screw with the spring around the threads, what's the actual idle screw I was looking for. I adjusted it back and forth, three or four times with no change to the low idle. Then I found the low idle screw covered with a piece of hose. I did not to adjust it and had a small moment of panic as I realized I just turned my fast idle screw. I literally just got laid off of my job I've had for years over cutbacks, and don't have the money to take it to somebody. Service manual basically tells me not to fuck with it because it was adjusted from Factory. Now the bike jerks like crazy when trying to roll on the throttle. Even when I ease onto the throttle very carefully, it feels like it engages 50% and skips one through 25%. The bike goes from 0 to 25%, bogs down a little bit, speeds up and the higher RPMs are fine. Feels normal. I can't ride like this because I can't roll onto my throttle the way it's supposed to interns, on-ramps, off-ramps and it's just unbelievably uncomfortable. Does anybody have any advice or the know how to adjust this back to the factory setting or at least get rid of the issue I'm dealing with. I never touched the TPS.
Attached is the picture of the screw I adjusted with a yellow circle around it, and a picture of the low idle with the hose on it
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20190527_161137_1558991583495.jpg
Views:	4
Size:	84.6 KB
ID:	557094   Click image for larger version

Name:	received_2434350619960353_1558991638419.jpg
Views:	5
Size:	98.8 KB
ID:	557096  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 05-27-2019, 05:41 PM
Dreaming of buttsecks for years...

Motorcycle: Anniversary Edition 600 & 2018 Harley Street Glide
Garage
Re: I f***ed up

In reality, the idle screws (both fast and normal) just twist the throttle a tiny bit. Even if they're out of adjustment it wouldn't cause what you're experiencing. One of the most frustrating things about these bikes is the TPS adjustment. It's supposed to be adjusted with the bike at idle (1300 or so). Changing the TPS can affect how the engine runs and therefore, change the idles speed. So you go from the TPS adjustment to the idle screw and back a few times before it's right. The 06 is also known for the "herky jerky" which is what you seem to be describing. Use that search phrase and you'll find a lot of discussion on it.
MacBayne likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Never mistake education for intelligence.

"Don't go ninjain nobody that don't need ninjain" -
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 05-28-2019, 09:11 AM
Vegemite-eating Administrator...

Motorcycle: 2003 gsxr1000 ,2008 gsxr600 ,2002 gsxr750 ,2006 CBR1000RR ,2001 CBR1100xx ,2002 VTR1000f ,2002 SV650s
Re: I f***ed up

Wrong section ... moving it now
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode