Splitting cases - Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 05-24-2019, 06:06 PM Thread Starter
Squid

Splitting cases

Hi all, I am in the process of replacing the upper half (cylinders) of a track 07 750. I have already removed all the internal and external bolts that are keeping the cases together and I am able to separate them... a bit. There is one single spot, thought, that I is locking it and won't let me separate more than about 1mm there. Pics below:

As you can see, I did not remove the clutch basket/assembly. Do I have to? Or do you think there is some other internal part that is preventing me from fully separating the cases?

All help and advise will be greatly appreciated.

- Ofir
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 05-24-2019, 07:34 PM
You should listen to me. No, seriously, listen to me.

Motorcycle: Blue 2006 GSX-R1000
Re: Splitting cases

The halves are aligned by three pins. Perhaps things are sticking at one of them.

But I wonder if you know what you're doing. The halves are a matched set that splits along the crankshaft bearings, possibly the most critical alignment on the engine. That's why they're not sold separately. IMO, replacing one half sounds like you're playing with fire unless you're a hell of a machinist.
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 05-24-2019, 07:39 PM Thread Starter
Squid

Never mind, it looks like the shift shaft (attached to the upper case) is holding the gearshift cam plate (attached to the lower case). I guess I do need to remove the clutch basket after all.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 05-24-2019, 11:03 PM Thread Starter
Squid

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillV View Post
The halves are aligned by three pins. Perhaps things are sticking at one of them.

But I wonder if you know what you're doing. The halves are a matched set that splits along the crankshaft bearings, possibly the most critical alignment on the engine. That's why they're not sold separately. IMO, replacing one half sounds like you're playing with fire unless you're a hell of a machinist.
Thanks for the input. I have two full sets of matching cases so I can use one of them if needed.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode