4Likes
  • 1 Post By Carnage
  • 1 Post By -JK750-
  • 1 Post By Carnage
  • 1 Post By MacBayne

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-21-2019, 10:42 PM Thread Starter
Track Day Winner

First, I should say that I've never used or owned a power commander V. I'm looking to get one since I have an m4 slip on and a k&n air filter. Is it just simply download a map off the PC website and plug and play?. Because since the U.S gsxr doesnt come with o2 sensors, how would it adjust fueling, or is that an auto tune thing that is sold separately. Sorry if I sound like a noob, because I am. Only been riding for 2 years. Also to add, since it hooks up to the tps, will it auto adjust it? My bike also experiences the herky jerky and hesitation on gradual throttle increase in mid range rpms. I've set it to dealer mode and adjusted it while running and warm, but no luck.

Last edited by JamesIsMe; 05-21-2019 at 10:47 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-22-2019, 04:48 AM
Soberz again

Motorcycle: 2006 GSX-R1000
Garage
Re: Power commander question

You can download one of those generic maps for now but ultimately you'll want to take it to a dyno tuner who can custom tailor the air/fuel ratios for your particular bike.

Sooooo....to answer your question, is it plug and play?

Yes, if you're ok with installing the PCV and downloading a generic map with settings that may or may not be close to your bike's mods. The result of this can be a gamble.

No, if you're planning to do it the correct way and invest in having the bike properly tuned.
gsxrfrog likes this.
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-22-2019, 12:37 PM
Amateur

Motorcycle: GSX-R 1000k5
Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carnage View Post
No, if you're planning to do it the correct way and invest in having the bike properly tuned.

Dunno how it is across the Atlantic, but over here, a good tune at a respectable tuner doesn't even cost half the cost of a PCV
So it's not like a custom tune is a "Major Investment"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-22-2019, 12:46 PM
Provisional Novice

Can someone help me please. There’s a PCV for sale local came off a k6 1000 I own a k6 1000 story is he removed it before he sold his bike. I have limited exp with them other than I’ve owned bikes that came with them already. Is the pic a complete kit, is there any easy way besides hooking one up to the bike to test to make sure it’s good while on site before I purchase it, and is there anything else I should be looking for??
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	48CFE7B3-13F9-4A6B-92E9-54F14BF8A760_1558547151118.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	39.5 KB
ID:	556966  
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-25-2019, 09:43 AM
Squid

Looks like every connector is included and not broken. You will need to ask him for more pictures and inspect the connectors closely to make sure nothing is broken or stripped. You can hook the power commander to your laptop after you download the dynojet software for PCV. Your laptop should read the PCV and will display its details. Make sure it has the right part number for your bike.
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-26-2019, 08:11 AM
Amateur

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmalkawi View Post
Looks like every connector is included and not broken. You will need to ask him for more pictures and inspect the connectors closely to make sure nothing is broken or stripped. You can hook the power commander to your laptop after you download the dynojet software for PCV. Your laptop should read the PCV and will display its details. Make sure it has the right part number for your bike.
You need the 9v battery connector if it's not hooked to the bike
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-26-2019, 09:09 AM
Lifetime Premium

Motorcycle: K5 1000 & K1 750

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nightbat® View Post
PCV uses USB port to power the unit. With a PCIII you need to have a 9V battery.
mmalkawi likes this.
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-27-2019, 06:17 PM
Hand-Eye Coordinator

Motorcycle: 2014 675R, 2019 Husky TE300i, 2014 Grom. Yes, Grom, fuck you, it's fun.

Quote:
Dunno how it is across the Atlantic, but over here, a good tune at a respectable tuner doesn't even cost half the cost of a PCV
So it's not like a custom tune is a "Major Investment"
How much are you spending on the PCV?

A tune worth less than $250 isn't good.
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-28-2019, 09:20 AM
Squid

Motorcycle: K5 GSXR 1000

If all your simply running is a aftermarket can and filter you don't need a custom tune, in fact your stock ecm will slightly adjust to to your mods. Find the map that best suits your bike if you are not sure go to the power commander website and message them through their tech dept, tell them your mods and they will advise which map is best suited. Unless your doing track and 1000th of a second matters or you do extensive mods such as cams, full exhaust, ignition upgrades etc.. its unlikely a professional tune will differ much from what K&N already professionally tuned their maps too already.
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-28-2019, 12:55 PM
Amateur

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacBayne View Post
How much are you spending on the PCV?

A tune worth less than $250 isn't good.
You'll be hard pressed finding a Dynocenter here that charges over €200
This include some rather large names like Ten Kate and Hoegee

Let's face it, unless you're dicking around with weird setups and experimental materials, your basic streetbike with pipe, filter and MAYBE timing tuning, isn't uncharted territory.
they've been getting these things on their bench for a few decades now, you're not gonna need a day doing runs to find the 'better' tune
post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-28-2019, 01:29 PM
Dreaming of buttsecks for years...

Motorcycle: Anniversary Edition 600 & 2018 Harley Street Glide
Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddnova View Post
If all your simply running is a aftermarket can and filter you don't need a custom tune, in fact your stock ecm will slightly adjust to to your mods. Find the map that best suits your bike if you are not sure go to the power commander website and message them through their tech dept, tell them your mods and they will advise which map is best suited. Unless your doing track and 1000th of a second matters or you do extensive mods such as cams, full exhaust, ignition upgrades etc.. its unlikely a professional tune will differ much from what K&N already professionally tuned their maps too already.
Pretty much. The air pressure sensors should be able to compensate for the minimal changes in flow.
post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-28-2019, 01:57 PM
Soberz again

Motorcycle: 2006 GSX-R1000
Garage

Quote:

Let's face it, unless you're dicking around with weird setups and experimental materials, your basic streetbike with pipe, filter and MAYBE timing tuning, isn't uncharted territory.
they've been getting these things on their bench for a few decades now, you're not gonna need a day doing runs to find the 'better' tune

It took damn near half the day to get mine right and all I have is a slip on, pc5, and filter. My guy took his time though and we even took a a break for lunch. That's the type of attention I want though when I'm spending that kind of money and well...it's my baby we're talking about. My other full exhaust equipped GSX-Rs were surprisingly easier and quicker to tune oddly enough.

I haven't heard of anyone doing custom tunes for less than $300-$400 in a while. If I remember correctly they were damn near that expensive even 20 years ago.

For the lurkers here, be careful NOT to confuse a custom tune with some dude just doing a few dyno pulls on your bike. I'd be leary (at least stateside) of someone claiming they're going to fully sort out your bike for $200.
MacBayne likes this.

I'd rather ride and control an Analog bike than ride and be controlled by a Digital one.
post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-29-2019, 07:08 PM
Hand-Eye Coordinator

Motorcycle: 2014 675R, 2019 Husky TE300i, 2014 Grom. Yes, Grom, fuck you, it's fun.

Quote:

What's the price of shop labour for a normal mechanical fix, there?

Walmart is a big name in NA. It wouldn't be the first time a big name cashed in on the brand name and offered inferior product for sales volume like some of the items Walmart carries.

Even if it took only an hour to do the tune, I still would not expect to pay less than $400 CAD. I'm not just paying for the dyno time- I'm paying for the attention to detail, knowledge, and experience of a good tuner.
Carnage likes this.
post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-01-2019, 08:10 PM
Squid

Quote:
See what -JK750- said. PCV is powered by the micro USB
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode