Need advice on things to check before buying. - Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com
 2Likes
  • 1 Post By tatersalad314
  • 1 Post By Revster

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-16-2019, 04:58 PM Thread Starter
Squid

Thumbs up Need advice on things to check before buying.

Hey guys I'm currently looking into buying a 2007 GSXR 750 and was wondering if you guys know of some things I would need to check before I buy it. I dont know much about bikes and this is only the second bike im buying. First one was practically new so there was nothing to check. Here is a copy and paste of the ad's description he is selling it for $3800 CAD.

" Selling my well maintained bike ! Great little machine, hasnít given me any issues. Havenít been able to ride it lots and Iím selling it because I donít have time for it.
-Custom CF rear mirrors
-Almost new Bridgestone tires
-Fresh oil change
-Brake fluid flush done
-New shorty handlebars
-Yoshimura Exhaust
-LED brights
-2 stands for both tires & Cover (worth $300)
-New brake pads
-Chain serviced and cleaned
-Slide bars installed
-custom plate holder
-Power commander 3 installed
Iím the third owner of this bike. The second owner was a mechanic and maintained the bike well. I believe the first owner dropped the bike once but I canít see any damage to the drop. It has a safety till the end of this month but it would not have any issues re safetying. Great bike if youíre looking to buy and ride without any work. "

Now thats what his ad says and obviously I will look at it before buying at and you cant tell much about the bike simply by what the ad says but i was hoping some of you might be able to tell me what i need to watch out for and look into etc... and also if it was a fair price for the bike! Thanx in advance!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-17-2019, 09:35 AM
The Supermod that wants to see grandma's Snapper....

Motorcycle: WR250R
Re: Need advice on things to check before buying.

Stock fairings? Dropped means crashed in my eyes. Also ask if the R/R every went bad and if it was relocated. The stock location sat behind the radiator and essentially cooked them till they failed. There may have been a recall but the recall may not have started until 2008. Do some research. Most relocated the rectifiers somewhere on the side of the bike.
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-17-2019, 09:49 AM
Currently using pedals..

Motorcycle: L5 600

I second Ironhead's thoughts. How many Kms are on the bike?

If you're uncomfortable or uncertain about what to look for, you could also take it to a reputable mechanic to look it over for you.
750Squidiot likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-17-2019, 10:22 AM
Thatís Mister Chalet To You ....

What's shorty handlebars? Do people chop their clip-ons and if so, why?

Need pics. If you can't post them yet, PM me a link to the ad and I'll link just the pics in so we can critique without giving away the location on you.
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-17-2019, 12:07 PM
Hand-Eye Coordinator

Motorcycle: 2014 675R, 2019 Husky TE300i, 2014 Grom. Yes, Grom, fuck you, it's fun.

Who cares if it was "dropped?" (crashed) If it's still within spec, it's still within spec.

Not a thing in that description raises the value of the machine, other than the stands that come with. Compare similar years/mileage in the area to compare prices.
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-17-2019, 12:30 PM
Uses squid tentacles as a butt-plug

Motorcycle: K4 750

Look for metal shavings in the oil check for uneven brake and tire wear. Check fork seals as best you can. How tough is the clutch cable to pull ? a well maintained bike would have a very easy pull as its been lubed. Run through each gear slowly check that the transition is smooth. Ensure the clutch isn't slipping. Lots of things man just check everything you can and if your not comfortable take it to a mechanic before you buy.
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-18-2019, 09:31 AM
Lifetime Premium

If you was planning to install a full Yosh and PC anyway, it would cost you a couple grand more, so that is something to consider. Good upgrades, btw.

Long list of maintained items may indicate a person that takes care of the bike. That is a good sign.

Newish tire also indicates a person that understands the importance of road grip and replaces them when it is time and and NOT when necessary (bald)

Bringing a friend is a good idea. Having your local mechanic take a look at it (for about $150) is even better. A buyer selling a decent bike will not be adverse to that idea. Go take a look at the bike. If you like it but not sure about the mechanical condition, ask the buyer to drop it off at a mechanic of your choice and tell him you will pay for the service fee.

Do not feel like you have to rush to get this bike. Most new riders/buyers always feel that they are losing out on a great buy if they don't hurry up and break open that piggy bank. Trust me, there will be plenty of bikes out there for you to consider.

Good luck and all the best.
750Squidiot likes this.
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-18-2019, 06:52 PM
Track Day Winner

Motorcycle: 2005 GSX-R 600
Garage

I would say look for:

-How much tread is on the tires (will they need to be replaced?) if so nego price
-Make sure they have the title in hand
-Front shocks leaking could be signs of wheelies
-Drop marks (bent pegs) scratches
-cracked Fairings (they are expensive to replace)
- how does the bike idle when warmed up
- is the clutch slipping at all? Or feel nice n tight
- all electrics work?
When tested driving...
-How does the bike run? Strong or not
-engine sound good?
-brakes feel tight and stop correctly
-does it feel comfortable and good for you.

Sounds like the bike has had a bite of work done and should be ok from the sellers post but those are somethings I would def check

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-18-2019, 06:55 PM
Track Day Winner

Motorcycle: 2005 GSX-R 600
Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revster View Post
If you was planning to install a full Yosh and PC anyway, it would cost you a couple grand more, so that is something to consider. Good upgrades, btw.

Long list of maintained items may indicate a person that takes care of the bike. That is a good sign.

Newish tire also indicates a person that understands the importance of road grip and replaces them when it is time and and NOT when necessary (bald)

Bringing a friend is a good idea. Having your local mechanic take a look at it (for about $150) is even better. A buyer selling a decent bike will not be adverse to that idea. Go take a look at the bike. If you like it but not sure about the mechanical condition, ask the buyer to drop it off at a mechanic of your choice and tell him you will pay for the service fee.

Do not feel like you have to rush to get this bike. Most new riders/buyers always feel that they are losing out on a great buy if they don't hurry up and break open that piggy bank. Trust me, there will be plenty of bikes out there for you to consider.

Good luck and all the best.

To reiterate on this, lots of good stuff but dont bring all the cash and go alone. Go with a friend and meet at a public place is usually a good start to be safe, or bring the strap. And yeah dont be afraid to walk away and have his problem turn into yours

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-18-2019, 11:27 PM
Captain Obvious ... because obviously itís obvious.

Motorcycle: 2006 GSXR "250"
Garage

Make sure it's not a 600cc engine.
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-19-2019, 11:05 AM
Track Day Winner

Agreed, I currently have 3 bikes and my first two bikes were rushed and I was unhappy afterwards, then I had to put even more money on it to get running smoothly when I could have used that extra money on a brand new bike. Also make sure its cold when you look at it to ensure there are no leaks. When an engine is running and it's hot, it won't usually leak (especially oil) until after it's settled down. I know this because my 06 gsxr 750 had a crack in the oil pan and I didn't notice it at first, but over the first night it was dripping oil. Then it suffered the infamous herky jerky experience and sputtered/hesitated when I gradually increase the throttle. When I bought the bike, it had the stock exhaust system on it still and I was kind of surprised because the bike has 18k miles when I bought it and only aftermarket item was a K&N air filter but no exhaust? It was when I swapped it to an aftermarket exhaust and thats when I was able to hear the bike sputter like crazy because you can't hear the stock exhaust can for sh!t.

Just tellin you my experience when buying used and I hope that gave you another idea to what to look out for. Oh and also, make sure you give that bike a good rev. If the seller doesn't like the idea, he's 9/10 hiding something.

Last edited by JamesIsMe; 04-19-2019 at 11:16 AM.
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-19-2019, 01:07 PM
Lifetime Premium

Quote:
Originally Posted by Just_Nick View Post
Make sure it's not a 600cc engine.
Yes. This too. Good idea to check the VIN and other IDs match. Your local mechanic can tell you about the maintenance history and recalls for free. However, you will need to pay for a VIN check that will cover the liens, salvage title and such.

One bike I looked at that was advertised as a 750 came back as a 600 when I did the VIN check. Owner of the bike took it as a trade for some high end stereo components from his shop and ended up with a mis-represented bike.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode