Should I be worried that the previous owner used regular gas in my bike? - Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com

11Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 25 (permalink) Old 03-29-2019, 12:30 PM Thread Starter
Track Day Winner

Should I be worried that the previous owner used regular gas in my bike?

I bought the bike used at 17k miles, he said he always ran regular gas, even though the manual says it should use a grade of at least 91 octance. Even since I took over, I drained the gas in it and put in 92 octane fuel with some seafoam. Should I be worried or is it fine. Someone on the forum here said that since it is FI, the electronic will always adjust the different fuels. Idk guys, I'm a noob.

Edit: I mean it does have an M-4 slip on with the cat delete (obviously), a K&N air filter, and a PC and the SET is disabled and wide open.

Last edited by JamesIsMe; 03-29-2019 at 12:36 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 25 (permalink) Old 03-29-2019, 12:50 PM
Uses squid tentacles as a butt-plug

Motorcycle: K4 750
Re: Should I be worried that the previous owner used regular gas in my bike?

Its fine just gets dirty faster.
MacBayne likes this.
post #3 of 25 (permalink) Old 03-29-2019, 07:25 PM
Chubby Chaser

Motorcycle: 2005 GSXR-1000 (track), 2006 GSXR-600 (track/race)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesIsMe View Post
Should I be worried or is it fine.

I dunno, was the bike pinging/detonating while you were riding it with regular unleaded in it?

I'm assuming that you do not know what octane is and how it works....octane is a rating of how resistant a fuel is to detonation. The higher the number, the cooler it burns and the more it resists detonation. It has nothing to do with being cleaner or making more power necessarily, especially if the bike is not tuned for it (more compression, advanced ignition timing, forced induction etc). In fact, if you use too high of octane for an engine that is not tuned for it, you'll get an incomplete burn and make less HP.

The most HP is achieved by running the LOWEST octane fuel you can get away with, without causing the motor to knock or ping....not the other way around.

To answer your question though.....the bike is fine.
750Squidiot likes this.

"I never drive faster than I can see...besides that it's all in the reflexes."
-Jack Burton

CCS AM #478
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 25 (permalink) Old 04-22-2019, 04:18 PM
Track Day Winner

It states in the k7 manual to 'use fuel of octane 95 or higher'. The suggestion to me is that 95 is the minimum octane to
be used. In Germany for instance you can get 100 octane fuel. In the uk fuel like Shell V Power is 99 octane I think, there are
others too.
post #5 of 25 (permalink) Old 04-22-2019, 04:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPL170db View Post
I dunno, was the bike pinging/detonating while you were riding it with regular unleaded in it?

I'm assuming that you do not know what octane is and how it works....octane is a rating of how resistant a fuel is to detonation. The higher the number, the cooler it burns and the more it resists detonation. It has nothing to do with being cleaner or making more power necessarily, especially if the bike is not tuned for it (more compression, advanced ignition timing, forced induction etc). In fact, if you use too high of octane for an engine that is not tuned for it, you'll get an incomplete burn and make less HP.

The most HP is achieved by running the LOWEST octane fuel you can get away with, without causing the motor to knock or ping....not the other way around.

To answer your question though.....the bike is fine.
Removed because I look like an idiot
post #6 of 25 (permalink) Old 04-22-2019, 04:48 PM
Track Day Winner

Motorcycle: L2 Gixxer 1000
It be fine , aint gona hurt anything just drive it and start using higher octane . Usually if you run it full time with regular u may get a spark knock but truth is I use both in my L2 1000 and my old k6 600 lol no issues at all . Mostly high octane But plenty of times LOTS times actually i filled my bikes ( empty to full ) with regular from my lawn tractor and trimmer gas jugs and drove lol hell i even dumped mixed Gas with 2 stoke trimmer oil in my bikes when its all i have on hand but just few few liters to get me to the fuel station which will cause little bit smoke from the 2 stroke oil lol but i got full exhaust no cats so My bikes are perfectly fine i sold my k6 600 last year with 49k on it and i bought it with 17k which i still see it around lots runny great . But The only reason i use my mower jugs some times is when taking off for the day when the fuel light comes on when im on my way home late im too lazy and tired too stop at the gas station on way back so lots times i pull in my garage with not much left in tank and i live a little ways from fuel station so i always got mower jugs filled sitting in the corner lol so yeah it be fine
post #7 of 25 (permalink) Old 04-22-2019, 06:16 PM
Likes Diiiiiiiiiiiiiiicks

Motorcycle: 2006 GSXR "250"
Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by 750Squidiot View Post
You read Wikipedia incorrectly.
1. detonation is an explosion. If the bike wasn't detonating it wasn't running.
2. Ocatne is the measure of how HIGH of compression before detonation
3. Higher octane fuels, while they don't burn "cleaner" usually contain better detergents which help keep your engine cleaner.
4. Not an expert in the field but higher compression=more force from detonation=faster rotation=more power....
5. Yes if your running a bike on a significantly higher octane than regular (specially ordered) you can damage internal components due to high compression and a more "violent" detonation.
You’re correcting someone that has forgotten more than you know. Lol
Carnage and 750Squidiot like this.
post #8 of 25 (permalink) Old 04-22-2019, 09:34 PM
Currently using pedals..

Motorcycle: L5 600
Quote:
Originally Posted by Just_Nick View Post
Let him live up to his name, it’s giving me a good laugh
750Squidiot likes this.
post #9 of 25 (permalink) Old 04-22-2019, 11:51 PM
Likes to race old junk.

Location: Innisfail, Alberta and Baffin Island, Nunavut Territory, Canada
Motorcycle: Singles, Twins, a Triple, Four's, a Six and an Eight!

Quote:
You read Wikipedia incorrectly.
1. detonation is an explosion. If the bike wasn't detonating it wasn't running.
2. Ocatne is the measure of how HIGH of compression before detonation
3. Higher octane fuels, while they don't burn "cleaner" usually contain better detergents which help keep your engine cleaner.
4. Not an expert in the field but higher compression=more force from detonation=faster rotation=more power....
5. Yes if your running a bike on a significantly higher octane than regular (specially ordered) you can damage internal components due to high compression and a more "violent" detonation.
Let's clear this up.

When discussing spark ignited internal combustion engines, think of detonation as any uncontrolled ignition...rather than all of the air/fuel mixture in the cylinder, combusting efficiently at the right time, in the right place, with the propagation of the flame front ignited by the spark plug...little pockets of air/fuel mixture explode(think diesel), with random chaos.
Octane is the rating of the fuel's resistance to detonation.
We don't want detonation...a little makes a rattling noise and less power, a lot of it will hurt parts.
-JK750- likes this.
post #10 of 25 (permalink) Old 04-23-2019, 12:46 AM
Soberz again

Motorcycle: 2006 GSX-R1000
Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beairsto Racing View Post
think of detonation as any uncontrolled ignition...

This
750Squidiot likes this.
post #11 of 25 (permalink) Old 04-23-2019, 09:23 AM

And now I know
To me its still seems higher octane would burn hotter and I know for a fact they put more/better detergents in higher octance fuel ( at least here in the states) which in turn cleans your engine better...
post #12 of 25 (permalink) Old 04-23-2019, 10:07 AM
Friendly resident cock loving Canadian with a sensitive sandy vagina

Quote:
Originally Posted by Just_Nick View Post

Yeah.... he also tried to school the forum (most authoritatively, I might add) about the false equivalency of 'motors' VS 'engines'
post #13 of 25 (permalink) Old 04-23-2019, 10:11 AM
Currently using pedals..

Motorcycle: L5 600

Quote:
And now I know
To me its still seems higher octane would burn hotter and I know for a fact they put more/better detergents in higher octance fuel ( at least here in the states) which in turn cleans your engine better...
Even after everything that has been said, why would you still think it burns hotter? Higher octane also doesn't imply better fuel additives. Look at Toptiergas.com and you'll see that this isn't a new thing, nor is it exclusive to any certain octane level in order to have quality fuel additives for the health of our fuel systems and engines.
post #14 of 25 (permalink) Old 04-23-2019, 11:01 AM
Track Day Winner

Motorcycle: 2006 GSXR600, 2015 Yamaha FJ09, 2015 Yamaha YZ450
Garage

Here is an example of a piston that was damaged by excessive detonation. It causes pitting in the top of the piston. Too much detonation over time will cause a piston to fail.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg pistonpits.jpg (151.0 KB, 3 views)
Beairsto Racing likes this.
post #15 of 25 (permalink) Old 04-23-2019, 12:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tatersalad314 View Post
Even after everything that has been said, why would you still think it burns hotter? Higher octane also doesn't imply better fuel additives. Look at Toptiergas.com and you'll see that this isn't a new thing, nor is it exclusive to any certain octane level in order to have quality fuel additives for the health of our fuel systems and engines.
So what your telling me is it burns cooler due to it being able to withstand higher compression? I'm not being an asshole here im actually intrigued and learning alot from you gents right now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by racetronics View Post
Here is an example of a piston that was damaged by excessive detonation. It causes pitting in the top of the piston. Too much detonation over time will cause a piston to fail.
Damn I had no idea.
post #16 of 25 (permalink) Old 04-23-2019, 12:54 PM
Friendly resident cock loving Canadian with a sensitive sandy vagina

Quote:
Damn I had no idea.

We know

I'd recommend you tone-down the 'forcefulness' of your opinions and insults to members of the community. This wasn't the first time.
post #17 of 25 (permalink) Old 04-23-2019, 01:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by le skid View Post
We know

I'd recommend you tone-down the 'forcefulness' of your opinions and insults to members of the community. This wasn't the first time.
Yea pretty sure this was the first time I "insulted" a veteran member of the community. Also pretty sure you guys have a no crying rule here seems like that went out the window with some of the members. I believe this is the first time I've also provided incorrect info, which I'm sure you've never done That and the fact that I whole heartily admitted I was completely wrong and removed my post.
post #18 of 25 (permalink) Old 04-23-2019, 01:28 PM

I'm one of those idiots who puts 93 in everything I own thinking it was better haha dammit I should have done some research now I have no clue what I should be putting in my bike......Or my vehicles for that matter....
post #19 of 25 (permalink) Old 04-23-2019, 01:31 PM
Dreaming of buttsecks for years...

Motorcycle: Anniversary Edition 600 & 2018 Harley Street Glide
Garage

Octane is pretty simple. Measured in two different ways and different countries may have different numbers, but essentially the same rating. Octane is the resistance to ignition. The compression in your engine heats things quite a bit. Larger cylinders compress the air charge and create more heat. That's why the 600 uses the lowest grade just fine, the 750 is usually mid grade, and the 1000 and bigger use the premium. Any quality fuel is going to have the additive package. I'm pretty sure Shell has the same additive package on all three grades in the state, but only market it for the premium grade to try and drive people to buy the more expensive fuel (even though they don't need it).

You want your spark plug to ignite your mix and nothing else. Ignition timed so that the flame kernel has time to start to grow and build pressure before the power stroke starts. This way, the pressure in the cylinder has the most time to push on the crank and produce power. That's a gross oversimplification.
750Squidiot likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Never mistake education for intelligence.

"Don't go ninjain nobody that don't need ninjain" -
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #20 of 25 (permalink) Old 04-23-2019, 01:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGeek View Post
Octane is pretty simple. Measured in two different ways and different countries may have different numbers, but essentially the same rating. Octane is the resistance to ignition. The compression in your engine heats things quite a bit. Larger cylinders compress the air charge and create more heat. That's why the 600 uses the lowest grade just fine, the 750 is usually mid grade, and the 1000 and bigger use the premium. Any quality fuel is going to have the additive package. I'm pretty sure Shell has the same additive package on all three grades in the state, but only market it for the premium grade to try and drive people to buy the more expensive fuel (even though they don't need it).

You want your spark plug to ignite your mix and nothing else. Ignition timed so that the flame kernel has time to start to grow and build pressure before the power stroke starts. This way, the pressure in the cylinder has the most time to push on the crank and produce power. That's a gross oversimplification.
Thanks brother
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode