Rear brake has very little pressure and gets stuck if pressed down all the way - Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-29-2019, 10:49 AM Thread Starter
Track Day Winner

Rear brake has very little pressure and gets stuck if pressed down all the way

I've bled the rear brake countless times, but the front two without any problem. Even after I bled the old brake fluid out, I've repeated the process as I added the new brake fluid 4 times making sure no air gets into the system and I'm seeing no air bubbles at this point. Fluid is going through and out, but I have very very little pressure a quarter way down, but if i press it pass that it gets softer then gets stuck, then I would have to lift it back up. Pump till I build up pressure, hold it down, open the bleeder valve, let it bleed, close the valve, then proceed to pump again. Right? I mean the front two were no problem at all. The rear disc is chewed up a little, but its not bad, and my pads are fairly new. I appreciate the help.

Last edited by JamesIsMe; 03-29-2019 at 10:52 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-29-2019, 11:55 AM
Uses squid tentacles as a butt-plug

Motorcycle: K4 750
Re: Rear brake has very little pressure and gets stuck if pressed down all the way

A "little" chewed up...? sounds like you need a new disk. Rear brake master cylinder replacement sounds to be in order if you cant keep pressure and the brake gets stuck down.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-29-2019, 12:02 PM Thread Starter
Track Day Winner

Re: Rear brake has very little pressure and gets stuck if pressed down all the way

Sorry, I didn't mean to use the word "chewed up" in a really bad way. Just normal wear, but I wanted to make sure with you guys since I didn't want to guess and check.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-29-2019, 12:58 PM

I would replace the master cylinder at this point.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-29-2019, 01:09 PM
Hand-Eye Coordinator

Motorcycle: 2014 675R, 2019 Husky TE300i, 2014 Grom. Yes, Grom, fuck you, it's fun.

Rebuild or replace the MC and clean/replace seals on the caliper.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-29-2019, 01:15 PM
You should listen to me. No, seriously, listen to me.

Motorcycle: Blue 2006 GSX-R1000

Don't follow everything that you said but you might have a stuck piston in the caliper. Disassemble and look for corrosion or buildup of road grime. If OK, do the same thing with the MC.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-29-2019, 01:19 PM

I would replace the master cylinder at this point.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-30-2019, 09:03 PM
Lifetime Premium

Depending on the year, might be due for new seals and a good scrub on the pistons.

Depending on year, might be a good idea for new lines - steel preferably

Depending on year and maintenance done in the past, might be due to take your brake pedal off, clean and lube. My 07 FJR brake pedal was sticking a bit on the bottom and this cleared it up - 10 year old grease will do that.

Also a good idea to check the bottom of your MCs for gunk build up. Amazing how much sludge can build up down in there.

Might be due for some new bleeder valves or a serious scrubbing.

Good luck.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-01-2019, 10:17 AM Thread Starter
Track Day Winner

Sounds good guys. I'll take apart the caliper and check it out. I'll probably order new seals, piston, and clean it out with brake cleaner since it's probably the first time the brakes have been taken apart for a rebuild. I am the 3rd owner of the bike at 18k miles. Sorry I should've said that sooner.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode