The Dreaded Battery Drain... - Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By BillV

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-17-2019, 09:31 PM Thread Starter
Squid

The Dreaded Battery Drain...

So, 2007 GSXR-750. Bike's been garaged kept for the winter w/o a tender. Yeah I know. Anyways, throw her on a tender last week and all good to go. Start up is like usual, take a nice ride out, all is well right? Well, well, well.. next day. Bam! No battery life. So I'm thinkin its the good ole' R/R or Stator.

12.4V on battery, 10+ on cranking and battery will hold a charge. Test at 5k range and raises to 14.3+. Good battery.

So, next step the parasitic draw. 12.2mA!! Woah! So, attach my positive lead to the negative on the battery post and the positive lead on the negative battery cable and start pulling plugs... all and all, pull my headlight/tach harness and... 0.00mA! No draw which is weird, but ill take it. End up tracing it down to just my Tachometer. Everything is plugged in like usual except the tach. Still, 0.00mA.

So, question is, have any of you guys had a tach go bad and pull that much? Also, tach and everything associated with it still work perfect. Reads RPM, gears and MPH. Doesn't make any sense to me. New tach ordered and en route. We've all had the parasitic draw before, just didn't know if any of you guys had it come from there before.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-17-2019, 09:45 PM Thread Starter
Squid

Re: The Dreaded Battery Drain...

Also, when I hooked up my leads to the terminal and the battery cable to check the draw, my tach would do the usual raise from 0 to maxed out and then back down. No lights would turn on or anything, just the tach itself would do it's usual "test" before startup. Weird....
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-18-2019, 04:24 AM
Lifetime Premium

Garage
How much is it supposed to draw? I hope thats it, thats gotta be a pricey part?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-18-2019, 10:04 AM Thread Starter
Squid

I thought the usual draw was supposed to be around .02mA. But don't quote me on that. Part was about $180 used. I just didn't figure since my tach was working like normal it wouldn't take that big of a draw when the key is out. Didn't know if anyone else has ever had a tach go "bad" before and still work.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-18-2019, 12:10 PM
You should listen to me. No, seriously, listen to me.

Motorcycle: Blue 2006 GSX-R1000

The drain spec is 3mA max. My K6 1000 measured .93 mA with a spike to 1.03 mA every three seconds or so. Immobilizer equipped bikes should be higher but yours doesn't sound like one. 12.2 mA is too high. Do you have any accessories like a Speedo Healer? The cluster gets power from two leads. One (O/G) is switched and the other (R/Bl), which maintains the presets, is always hot. The tach sweeps when the battery is connected as the memory gets power again.

Note that the R/Bl also runs to the fuel pump relay and the ECM. It also runs through the big connector inside the left front cowling, which is a known trouble spot. Make sure that the leak is at the cluster.
BoneZz_K7 likes this.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-18-2019, 05:14 PM
Hand-Eye Coordinator

Motorcycle: 2014 675R, 2019 Husky TE300i, 2014 Grom. Yes, Grom, fuck you, it's fun.

Start at square one. You are jumping to conclusions. A bad tach? :rollseyes

12.4 on your battery is telling you it's fucked.

You let the bike sit for months without a tender. This caused corrosion on the surfaces within the battery. Corrosion on the surfaces meant less good surface area for electron movement. You raised the internal resistance of the battery by a lot. A good battery, 2 hours after being charged will sit at around 13.6 volts.

Here is an article on what I'm on about. Ignore performance numbers they might give because you are using a motorcyle battery. I'm gonna go right on ahead and say I didn't peruse this article, just skimmed.
https://batteryuniversity.com/learn/..._to_prevent_it

Your 14.3 means that the R/R regulates voltage. You should still do a stator test and diode test.

"A girl phoned me and said, "Come on over. There's nobody home." I went over. Nobody was home!"

-Dangerfield
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode