06 gsxr 600 won't start - Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com
 6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 52 (permalink) Old 03-15-2019, 05:12 AM Thread Starter
enjoys eating dicks

06 gsxr 600 won't start

Hi guys, I bought a bike from an auction that has no fairings no speedometer a gs no key. I purchased a key and tried to get it to start but it didn't. I changed the stator and rectifier as well, no start. I changed the fuses and the starter switch, no start. The bike is in Neutral. Kickstand is up. The bike turns over but don't start.... any ideas would be greatly appreciated!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 52 (permalink) Old 03-15-2019, 05:49 AM Thread Starter
enjoys eating dicks

Guys, I also should add that I've purchased two starter silonoid switches and none of them gives me the"clicking" sound when the start button is pressed.
post #3 of 52 (permalink) Old 03-15-2019, 08:16 AM
Uses squid tentacles as a butt-plug

Motorcycle: K4 750
Re: 06 gsxr 600 won't start

This is EXTREMELY vague brother it could be a number of different problems. Put a gage cluster on it that would be my first step to see if its even getting power, if it does maybe it will give you an FI light. If you don't have a MultiMeter then buy one and get yourself a manual and start checking every electrical wire in the harness. I would start with ones that deliver current to the starting system. Welcome sir to your project GOOD LUCK!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 52 (permalink) Old 03-15-2019, 09:57 AM
I know things... A lot of things.

Motorcycle: GSXR 750 K4

Since the bike turns over, assuming that means that the starter motor is operational and cranks the engine, stator, rectifier and starter solenoid are not connected to your problem. The first two because they generally only affect charging of the battery (which evidently has enough juice to crank the motor), the latter because it operates the starter motor, which does work. It sounds most likely that the ECM is not powered, which would normally show up as CHEC on the dash. Since the dash is missing (and although you're unlikely to get far without it in the long run) you can troubleshoot directly, with a DMM. The first place to look for battery voltage, would be the O/G or O/W lead (depending on model) at the dealer mode connector.

Search the forum for more information. Use keywords such as "CHEC interlock dealer connector"
oldgixxer likes this.
post #5 of 52 (permalink) Old 03-15-2019, 10:10 AM

Thumbs up Re: 06 gsxr 600 won't start

Quote:
Originally Posted by dpapavas View Post
Since the bike turns over, assuming that means that the starter motor is operational and cranks the engine, stator, rectifier and starter solenoid are not connected to your problem. The first two because they generally only affect charging of the battery (which evidently has enough juice to crank the motor), the latter because it operates the starter motor, which does work. It sounds most likely that the ECM is not powered, which would normally show up as CHEC on the dash. Since the dash is missing (and although you're unlikely to get far without in the long run) you can troubleshoot directly, with a DMM. There first place to look for battery voltage, would be the O/G or O/W lead (depending on model) at the dealer mode connector.

Search the forum for more information. Use keywords such as "CHEC interlock dealer connector"
Listen to this guy haha he knows some things I read your post wrong. I thought it said it WOULDN'T turn over.
post #6 of 52 (permalink) Old 03-15-2019, 10:12 AM

Location: In the garage, smoking one of Anthony D's cigars...
Motorcycle: None, gave them all to Anthony D...

Quote:
Originally Posted by 750Squidiot View Post
Listen to this guy haha he knows some things I read your post wrong. I thought it said it WOULDN'T turn over.
He's one of our resident experts,always listen to his advice
Ironhead401 and 750Squidiot like this.
post #7 of 52 (permalink) Old 03-15-2019, 11:33 AM
Captain Obvious ... because obviously itís obvious.

Motorcycle: 2006 GSXR "250"
Garage

If it's turning over and the pump is not priming, but you confirm your fuel pump works, then it's quite possible that this is a lack of ECU communication.
Also, is this a US or EU model bike?
post #8 of 52 (permalink) Old 03-15-2019, 12:03 PM
You should listen to me. No, seriously, listen to me.

Motorcycle: Blue 2006 GSX-R1000

Where are you located? Does the bike have an immobilizer? There should be two connectors beneath the seat as is discussed here (note the link in #4). You're going to have some significant challenges if you do. In particular, the key must electronically match the ECM ID.

Download the service manual. A very helpful diagram for the starting system is on 9-12. It should be easy to figure out why the solenoid isn't clicking with it and a multimeter. A common problem is that the contacts on the Start button become corroded. They can be cleaned. The Y/G from the start button can be checked at the solenoid. The dealer mode connector that dpapavas mentions is a white six position connector (possibly with a black cover), also beneath the seat. The B/W lead to it is a ground.
post #9 of 52 (permalink) Old 03-15-2019, 12:12 PM Thread Starter
enjoys eating dicks

It's turning over and it's a US bike
post #10 of 52 (permalink) Old 03-15-2019, 12:15 PM Thread Starter
enjoys eating dicks

Im currently in Georgia and have just changed the crankshaft sensor, TO sensor And another starter stwich and still won't turn over. The battery is good as well...it was tested.
post #11 of 52 (permalink) Old 03-15-2019, 12:28 PM

Don't keep throwing parts at the bike that will get expensive very fast and your likely to not find the problem do what BillV has stated and go from there. Too many people on these threads become impatient throw parts at the bike and get frustrated and give up. If you take a little time the manual and a DMM or VM you will find your issue and it may be as simple as cleaning corroded connectors as stated above. Deep breath a 6 pack and take your time.

Also make sure it has fuel haha
post #12 of 52 (permalink) Old 03-15-2019, 12:37 PM Thread Starter
enjoys eating dicks

It has gas but im thinking its electrical because I don't hear the "clicking" sound from the starter silonoid when attempting to start the bike. No sound is made at all. That's why I bought the new switch. I also bought the crankshaft sensor and spark plugs for process of elimination. I want to rule everything out before buying another ecu/ecm but I will try his suggestion once I get home.
post #13 of 52 (permalink) Old 03-15-2019, 12:41 PM

Measure the voltage at the Y/G lead when you press the Start button with the ignition and engine stop switches on. If it goes to 12 V, you have a problem with the clutch switch. If it stays low, the problem is further upstream. Measure the voltage on both sides of the Ignition fuse with the ignition switch turned on. The ignition switch is suspect if it isn't 12 V. The Start button, engine stop switch, or the interlock relay is suspect if it is 12 V. You really ought to be doing all this with the bike in neutral and the kickstand up.

P.S. Getting it to turn over has nothing to do with the crankshaft sensor, TO sensor, ECM, or spark plugs. You worry about them afterwards.

Last edited by BillV; 03-15-2019 at 12:45 PM. Reason: Added P.S.
post #14 of 52 (permalink) Old 03-15-2019, 12:48 PM

No sound.... so its not turning over? I'm sorry maybe I'm an idiot but I have always used the phrase "turning over" for the bike attempting to start, meaning the engine turning or at least the starter clicking. That would indicate a fuel issue or firing issue right? if not its definitely electrical as in this instance.( I'm asking more for my own knowledge)
post #15 of 52 (permalink) Old 03-15-2019, 01:51 PM

^At first he said "The bike turns over but don't start". But he later says he "purchased two starter silonoid switches and none of them gives me the"clicking" sound when the start button is pressed". That's inconsistent unless he's expecting the actual start button to click, which it doesn't (the solenoid clicks but it's hard to hear if the starter motor turns). I assumed that the starter motor wasn't getting power because the solenoid wasn't functioning. But who knows?
post #16 of 52 (permalink) Old 03-15-2019, 02:22 PM Thread Starter
enjoys eating dicks

Guys, let me make it clear so I can get the BEST help. When I pull in the clutch lever and press the start button with the kill switch on, I hear NOTHING, no clicking from the starter silonoid. No, the bike won't turn over or start or even attempt to start at that point. I bought two new silonoid and same outcome. Through touching the positive and negative cables to the silonoid it turned over but didn't start. Hope this helps
post #17 of 52 (permalink) Old 03-15-2019, 02:44 PM

^You said that you changed the fuses. Did that include the 30 A main fuse? The bike would be electrically dead if it was blown. If it's OK, see #13.
post #18 of 52 (permalink) Old 03-15-2019, 03:17 PM Thread Starter
enjoys eating dicks

Yes, I changed it. I will do #13 momentarily.
post #19 of 52 (permalink) Old 03-15-2019, 06:31 PM Thread Starter
enjoys eating dicks

Guys, I tested everything listed above... still didn't work. Everything seems to be working fine and have the correct voltage. But one thing I DID realize, and I know yall will KILL me for this lol... the bike was not in Neutral. BUT, the thing is, I can't get it to go in neutral. Since there's no speedometer I can't see what gear it's in.
post #20 of 52 (permalink) Old 03-15-2019, 06:42 PM
Likes to race old junk.

Location: Innisfail, Alberta and Baffin Island, Nunavut Territory, Canada
Motorcycle: Singles, Twins, a Triple, Four's, a Six and an Eight!

If you don't have a rear stand, try rolling the bike back and forth, as you move the shifter...at some point you should be rewarded with a neutral, and the bike should roll freely.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode