Twitchy throttle - Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-06-2019, 11:22 PM Thread Starter
Tig
Squid

Twitchy throttle

Been a while since I posted here, moved onto a Zx6r. Recently bought a 2006 600 from a dealership, and I seem to be having some slight problems with the bike. First off, when letting off the throttle and getting back on it, the bike seems too responsive? I'm not sure how to explain it, but the transition from closed throttle and slightly open is very dramatic. It makes coming to stops extremely uncomfortable as the bike seems to just lurch back and forth. This doesn't seem to happen every time I ride, so my riding skills aren't the answer 😉 I don't believe the chain can be the issue either. I just recently adjusted it within spec, and there's no tight/loose spots. Second thing I've noticed, but can't be 100% sure, is that whenever I open the gas tank, the bike rides normally. Every now and then my gas cap will make a somewhat whining noise when I park it, so I believe my problems resolve around a fuel issue. Is my gas tank not venting properly, and if so, how do I fix this? I just replaced my breather hose because the old one was in poor condition, but this didn't seem to fix anything. Thanks in advance guys
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-07-2019, 04:38 AM
I know things... A lot of things.

Motorcycle: GSXR 750 K4
Re: Twitchy throttle

I don't see how you could be having fueling problems at near-closed throttle and idle speeds, but be fine at higher loads. You might want to search the forum for the term "herky-jerky throttle", which is more or less what you describe. Be prepared for a lot of info. I'd suggest starting with checking the idle speed and TPS, in that order. Set the idle speed as per manual and then with a *warm* engine *running* at idle, switch to dealer mode and check the dash on the display next to the code. If it's not centered, adjust accordingly.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-07-2019, 07:00 AM Thread Starter
Tig
Squid

Thanks for the response, I'll do that today. The throttle had way too much Freeplay when I bought it, so I adjusted it. Does adjusting the Freeplay mess with the TPS?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-07-2019, 08:01 AM
Lifetime Premium

Motorcycle: K5 1000 & K1 750

Fastest fix is to disable deceleration fuel cut. Pretty common on these bikes.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-08-2019, 01:25 PM
Hand-Eye Coordinator

Motorcycle: 2014 675R, 2019 Husky TE300i, 2014 Grom. Yes, Grom, fuck you, it's fun.

Lots of stuff to check here... but could you list your mods, first?
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-10-2019, 03:06 AM
Track Day Winner

I had a similar problem. My tps was out of spec so I adjusted it then twitchy throttles when I accelerate from a deceleration stopped.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode