Bike is running poorly - Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-08-2019, 10:46 PM Thread Starter
Track Day Winner

Bike is running poorly

In short, the bike has been dropped on left side by previous owner and the stator had to be replaced (probably used), 18k miles, has sputtering issue between 4-8k rpms, popcorns and shoots flames on decel. 06 gsxr750. I assume the stator is bad and not allowing a strong enough spark for the engine. But always starts up fine no problem. I started off with basics, battery connections, spark plugs replaced, air filter, oil, tps, fuel pump, vacuum hoses, and the bike isn't throwing any codes after putting it into dealer mode.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-09-2019, 09:23 AM
I know things... A lot of things.

Motorcycle: GSXR 750 K4
Re: Bike is running poorly

Note that codes generally are registered as they're detected, meaning that many codes won't show up after turning on the ignition or right after starting. Keep an eye out for a flashing FI while riding. You can test the battery and stator with a DMM. Measure the voltage at your battery at idle and at 4-5000rpms. If it's withing 14-15V, you should be fine.

Do you have any idea when and how this started? There's not much that would cause running problems without throwing codes. If the vacuum metering system is intact (you can try running it with the IAPS disconnected electrically, to see if it will make a difference), the only other things I can think of, is that there's some undetectable problem with the secondary injectors (I think the K6/7 was the first model to have them) or perhaps the accident caused the CCT chain to skip a tooth or two.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-10-2019, 12:01 PM Thread Starter
Track Day Winner

I don't know how it happened and I didn't notice it at first when I bought it because when I test rode it, sneaky bastard must've had an aftermarket exhaust and put the stock back on so I couldn't notice it and I didn't. I only realized after a couple days. Chain is a bit loose, I will adjust it to specs. Never gotten a single code.Been about 5 months owning it. No wires cut or anything in the ECU that could prevent me from seeing codes. I even disabled the SET valve to see if it helps anything, but it only made it louder. I am also thinking of some injector problems because he said the guy that owned the bike before him had it in storage for a while because he was military Then the guy I bought it from took over the bike at 9,000miles, then me (3rd owner) took it over at 18k miles. It could be gas gone bad and clogged some stuff up. I even ran seafoam multiple times, hot soaked, let it sit overnight, and nothing. I might just try removing the injectors and cleaning them. If nothing, then probably an internal engine problem that I will not mess with. If that is the case, I'll just sell it after checking with a mechanic. The bike is still very powerful and pulls strong, but just between 4-8krpms is where it hesitates. It'll still power wheelie and everything.

Last edited by JamesIsMe; 01-10-2019 at 12:04 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-11-2019, 12:38 PM
Hand-Eye Coordinator

Motorcycle: 2014 675R, 2019 Husky TE300i, 2014 Grom. Yes, Grom, fuck you, it's fun.

Get the service manual and do the R/R, stator, and battery tests.

I'm leaning toward a lower injector issue. Primary injectors provide the only fuel from idle to 8k rpm. Once past 8k, the lion's share of fueling comes from the secondaries. There's a couple electrical tests in the manual for them.

Have you adjusted the TPS?

It might be worth testing the CKP, too.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-11-2019, 11:20 PM Thread Starter
Track Day Winner

I tried getting to the tps but the darn cast aluminum lookin frame is in the way.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-14-2019, 03:52 AM
I know things... A lot of things.

Motorcycle: GSXR 750 K4

I don't see how this could be a matter of TPS adjustment, although it might be a bad TPS if it happens at particular throttle openings only (if the TPS is worn at some spot along its travel). A fuel restriction (clogged injectors or something like that) is also unlikely if the bike power wheelies. Another thing to look out for is damage to the engine casings from the drop. I'm not sure where the crankcase pickup is located on your model, but if it's mounted on a casing that has been warped, however slightly from a drop, or knocked out of position, it might be causing timing problems.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-28-2019, 08:04 PM Thread Starter
Track Day Winner

I finally got it after weeks of this problem. It turns out it was the TPS. The TPS has always been in spec -C00 when I go dealer mode and no codes pop up. I was playing around with it and test rode on a whole bunch of positions, and it ran awesome and smooth when I adjusted the TPS off spec moving it up. Then replaced the dirty ass fuel filter that has been in there for 18,000 miles. On an 06 750 for that past 2 owners, I am 3rd. I am happy the bike is running twice as better and powerful.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode