Number plate light wiring - Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-23-2018, 09:23 PM Thread Starter
Squid

Garage
Number plate light wiring

Hey, Im trying to locate the wiring for the number plate light.
Its had the rear mudguard removed and tidied up, and a couple of LED's installed.
The previous owner just never hooked them up.
Is the plug shown in the image the correct one? the wiring is black/white + gray
The other reason I ask, is that the output is only 1-2 v

Cheers
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20181224_161908.jpg
Views:	6
Size:	104.1 KB
ID:	553966  
Attached Images

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-20-2019, 08:23 AM
Squid

Re: Number plate light wiring

Did you ever get anywhere with this?
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-20-2019, 11:38 AM
Provisional Novice

Motorcycle: 2018 Suzuki GSX-R 750, 2003 Kawasaki ZX-9R, 2001 Kawasaki ZX-6R & KX250 Motarded
Delete. Didn't mean to create a new thread...dooh

Last edited by MadViking; 06-20-2019 at 11:51 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-20-2019, 11:52 AM
Provisional Novice

Motorcycle: 2018 Suzuki GSX-R 750, 2003 Kawasaki ZX-9R, 2001 Kawasaki ZX-6R & KX250 Motarded
Quote:
Originally Posted by kata View Post
I just installed the Yosh fender eliminator. I pulled the pins out of the factory license light connector and soldered the Yosh wires to the pins, ran them through the OEM sheathing (shortened and inch or so), then reinstalled the pins in the connector and plugged it back into the harness connector. Black/white is ground, grey on the light side/red on the harness side is power.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-20-2019, 01:01 PM
You should listen to me. No, seriously, listen to me.

Motorcycle: Blue 2006 GSX-R1000

The K6 600 wiring diagram shows Br and Bl from the main harness to the connector and B on both leads to the license plate light. On my K6 1000 it's Gr and B/W to the light. There are these complications:
-The Br lead also supplies 12 V to the tail light, position lights, and turn signals.
-The Bl ground lead runs to the six pin connector for the rear harness where it ties into a ground. Consequently the license plate light won't work unless the six pin connector is also plugged in. That might be what the OP's 1-2 V was about.
-The connector is a Mitsubishi Ultra Compact type that is also in wide use by Suzuki for the front turn signals (grey body on left, black on right). Idiots that are too lazy to disconnect the two halves for the license light just yank it apart, leaving bare wires to short out and leaving you looking for connector halves and/or pins to put things back together. If you see a bare Br and Bl lead back around the tool kit, a hammer mechanic has been at work.
-The connector bodies are available from K&L Supply (packs of 100) but the pins are not (the female may now be). The only source for them that I know of is Eastern Beaver. The connector color isn't important but I think that Suzuki likes to use white for the license light. I only see black in the aftermarket so white may be the mark of an OEM connector.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-20-2019, 01:55 PM
Provisional Novice

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillV View Post
The K6 600 wiring diagram shows Br and Bl from the main harness to the connector and B on both leads to the license plate light. On my K6 1000 it's Gr and B/W to the light. There are these complications:
-The Br lead also supplies 12 V to the tail light, position lights, and turn signals.
-The Bl ground lead runs to the six pin connector for the rear harness where it ties into a ground. Consequently the license plate light won't work unless the six pin connector is also plugged in. That might be what the OP's 1-2 V was about.
-The connector is a Mitsubishi Ultra Compact type that is also in wide use by Suzuki for the front for the turn signals (grey body on left/black on right). Idiots that are too lazy to disconnect the two halves for the license light just yank it apart, leaving bare wires to short out and leaving you looking for connector halves and/or pins to put things back together. If you see a bare Br and Bl lead back around the tool kit, a hammer mechanic has been at work.
-The connector bodies are available from K&L Supply (packs of 100) but the pins are not (the female may now be). The only source for them that I know of is Eastern Beaver.
Good info BillV! I was working on a '18 750. I was not able to locate the female pins (plate light side), so I reused the stock. Getting the factory wires out of them was a PITA. They are very small and I had no way of properly crimping the wires to them, so I used solder.
I used a test light with the ignition on to verify which side was ground and which side was power.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-21-2019, 04:57 PM Thread Starter
Squid

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by kata View Post
Yeah, got it sorted. It provides the correct voltage when running - I was testing just with the ignition on.
Got the tail back to legal with a number plate LED
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode