06 GSXR 750 Battery drain & R/R - Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-15-2018, 02:46 AM Thread Starter
Squid

Unhappy 06 GSXR 750 Battery drain & R/R

Hi team, Need some assistance long story sorry!

Bought myself a K6 GSXR 750 a few months back and has been a brilliant ride until the last few weeks, First off the battery ran flat after I hadn't ridden in a week so charged it up and all was fine on a 2hr ride, then I had it on charge for the week just to make sure it was ok and the bike started fine so went out for a spin, stopped for fuel and it was flat again managed to jump start the bike and went for a ride, about 45mins in and I noticed the dash had frozen so tried to leg it home and it dies on me.
Managed to get it back home and the R/R is fried, the Stator is also making a whistling noise but it is outputting the correct voltage.
I've ordered a new R/R and probably will get a new Stator just in case but the issue now is that I have a battery drain of 12v on the Fuel fuse wiring, I'm no dummy with bikes and electrics but cant for the life of me find where the fault is, I have checked all the clips for the injectors, lights, and anyone I could see after removing the airbox and fairings, only way to stop the drain is to pull the Fuel fuse.

Any ideas would be much appreciated!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-15-2018, 06:18 AM
I know things... A lot of things.

Motorcycle: GSXR 750 K4
Re: 06 GSXR 750 Battery drain & R/R

What is a "battery drain of 12v on the Fuel fuse wiring". Also, how did you establish that the R/R was fried? Note that replacing working OEM parts with cheap ebay replacements should probably be considered harmful, as, say, a 300$ user stator is probably more reliable than a new $30 part.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-15-2018, 12:54 PM
You should listen to me. No, seriously, listen to me.

Motorcycle: Blue 2006 GSX-R1000

+1 to everything in the above. Sorry but the "battery drain of 12V" and "I'm no dummy" seem at odds. Measure the drain with an ammeter at the battery. Should be 1-3 mA unless you have something else added that draws current while the bike is off, ex. an alarm system. If there is a drain through the fuel fuse you can easily measure it and then use the wiring diagram to track down where it's coming from.

"Stator is also making a whistling noise" That's very fishy and needs immediate attention. Remove and look for contact between the stator and rotor. While you're there look for burned sections on the stator. Have you checked the coil resistances and done the diode tests as described in the service manual?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-15-2018, 02:38 PM Thread Starter
Squid

Quote:
Originally Posted by dpapavas View Post
What is a "battery drain of 12v on the Fuel fuse wiring". Also, how did you establish that the R/R was fried? Note that replacing working OEM parts with cheap ebay replacements should probably be considered harmful, as, say, a 300$ user stator is probably more reliable than a new $30 part.
When I do the battery current leak test as per the service manual I get a current pull of around 12.55V DC and when I pull the Fuel fuse it drops back to 0.3V DC so something on the Fuel circuit is draining that voltage.

It runs fine with the bike battery when its charged. Yep a new OEM Stator and R/R have been ordered, Wouldn't touch that fleabay stuff.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-15-2018, 05:33 PM

You're not following either dpapavas or myself. Current is measured in amperes. 12.55V is a voltage. I don't understand what you're doing and I don't think he does either.

Last edited by BillV; 10-15-2018 at 10:32 PM. Reason: Fixed typo
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-15-2018, 05:58 PM Thread Starter
Squid

Ok multimeter ended up being fried which is why it was giving a strange output!
Awaiting on the new parts and will update once installed!
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-15-2018, 10:35 PM

I'm wondering if you set the meter for amps and put it accross a voltage source.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-17-2018, 04:19 AM
I know things... A lot of things.

Motorcycle: GSXR 750 K4

Try checking out a couple of tutorials on using DMMs, just to make sure you don't have any misconceptions. What you need to do is: measure the current through the battery with the ignition off, with the DMM in current mode and bridging the disconnected negative wire with the negative pole. Note that, as Bill mentions not setting the DMM properly can lead to shorts, damage to the DMM, or worse, so make sure you're doing the right thing when the DMM is set in current mode. Consult the manual, then the Internet if unsure, or ask here.

Then you need to measure the voltage across the battery poles, with the engine running at 5000 rpm. If both tests check out, you know a) your battery is being charged and b) it's not being discharged overnight, so it should be ok, unless the battery itself is defective. If a test doesn't check out, you can focus on the relevant section of your electrics.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode