K6 Relocated Rectofier - Bike doesn't have charge - Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-04-2018, 10:50 AM Thread Starter
Squid

K6 Relocated Rectofier - Bike doesn't have charge

I went to do a simple rectofier relocation, trying to be proactive. It is a bit of a hassle getting the wires in the right areas so there is some slack. The wires pulled out of the plug that go to from the rectofier to the main harness. I put them back in, red to red, black to black. Now when I turn the key to on, nothing happens. Did I blow a fuse or do damage to other components? I'm at a loss. Can anyone suggest next steps. Looking back, my bike was fine with the rectofier where it was.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-04-2018, 11:00 AM
I know things... A lot of things.

Motorcycle: GSXR 750 K4
Re: K6 Relocated Rectofier - Bike doesn't have charge

When you say the "wires pulled out of the plug that go to from the rectofier to the main harness", do you mean they were torn out? If so, how exactly did you "put them back in"? The rectifier and stator connections are particularly sensitive, in the sense that it's easy for them to conduct insufficiently to allow charging and overheat instead. A picture or two of the present condition of the connections might help.

If nothing happens when you turn the key on, it'd be a good idea to check the fuses, starting with the main fuse, which is on the starter relay. If you find it to be blown, it might be a good idea not to replace it, until you've reason to be confident that everything is in order and nothing's shorting out. There's no reason to put undue stress on the wiring and components.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-04-2018, 11:17 AM Thread Starter
Squid

Quote:
Originally Posted by dpapavas View Post
When you say the "wires pulled out of the plug that go to from the rectofier to the main harness", do you mean they were torn out? If so, how exactly did you "put them back in"? The rectifier and stator connections are particularly sensitive, in the sense that it's easy for them to conduct insufficiently to allow charging and overheat instead. A picture or two of the present condition of the connections might help.

If nothing happens when you turn the key on, it'd be a good idea to check the fuses, starting with the main fuse, which is on the starter relay. If you find it to be blown, it might be a good idea not to replace it, until you've reason to be confident that everything is in order and nothing's shorting out. There's no reason to put undue stress on the wiring and components.

The wires I pulled out run from the main harness & were pulled out of the plug that plugs into the rectofier harness. These wires weren't just plain copper they had metal ends so they slid back in easy. I was worried that maybe I put them in wrong & it shorted something out. I have attached a picture of the plug of which the wires were pulled from. Also, checked the 30amp main fuse & it looks blown. Hopefully this is the cause. idk why it randomly blew, it was good yesterday.
Attached Images

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-04-2018, 12:27 PM Thread Starter
Squid

UPDATE: It was the blown 30 amp main fuse. Put in the extra & it started right up. Thanks for your help.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-04-2018, 02:16 PM
You should listen to me. No, seriously, listen to me.

Motorcycle: Blue 2006 GSX-R1000

"These wires weren't just plain copper they had metal ends so they slid back in easy."
Can't say that I understand what you're saying there. Do you mean that there were electrical contacts on the ends? Note that all power from the regulator/rectifier to the bike runs through the R and B leads. The connectors to the regulator/rectifier must be in good condition. In general, I try to leave them alone as breaking & making the connection can degrade the electrical contact.

As Dpapvas used, it's "rectifier" not "rectofier". Wait till Samantha finds out.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-05-2018, 03:55 AM
I know things... A lot of things.

Motorcycle: GSXR 750 K4

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6oa7 View Post
The wires I pulled out run from the main harness & were pulled out of the plug that plugs into the rectofier harness. These wires weren't just plain copper they had metal ends so they slid back in easy.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BillV View Post
Can't say that I understand what you're saying there.
I assume you mean that the wires were pulled out along with their terminating lugs and you just slid them back in. If that is the case, you might be ok, but check that the wires are held securely in the connector housing. These lugs are usually held inside the housing by tabs and I don't see how you can have ripped them out without breaking them. Since you reconnected the rectifier without them receding out of the connctor though, they seem to be ok.

Also, I'd strongly advise measuring the charging voltage at 5000rpm, to make sure the rectifier's connections haven't deteriorated and that it can supply the current needed to charge the battery. No need to find out when you get stranded at some gas station.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6oa7 View Post
idk why it randomly blew, it was good yesterday.
Maybe because the wires made contact and shorted as they were torn out of the connector.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode