07 GSXR 600 Fires but Dies instantly - Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-17-2018, 05:06 PM Thread Starter
Squid

Garage
Exclamation 07 GSXR 600 Fires but Dies instantly

Hi everyone,
I actually posted this somewhere else and can't find it but i think it was in the wrong spot anyway once I found the topics.

Here it is: My bike (07 gsxr 600) ran great right up until a hurricane came through and rained into the intake. I switched the spark plugs using iridium just like i had from the beginning. Initially two broke off in the head but I was able to get them out clean. Also put a brand new battery in it and changed the oil (might need changed again, I think there's a bit of milkiness floating on top looking through the sight glass). When i hold the starter long enough it will eventually fire up but instantly dies. It's acting like something is cutting the fuel once it starts but i'm not familiar with gsxr's as far as sensors and such goes. I am a certified mechanic though so feel free to through some ideas at me and i should be able to follow. The only code is a no codes -C00 and the light (oil indicator light I think) is solid red with the key on and goes away when turning over. I did just change the battery so I wouldn't say I trust that C00. I also drained the fuel and it was pretty bad towards the end but I have fresh in it now and it smells fine when it fires. No sulfur smell to tell me its flooding out either but it kinda acts like a reverse flood if that makes since. It's almost like the more I try the closer it gets to staying running but I don't want to burn the starter out and I have to keep charging the battery.

Any and all help is appreciated. If I can't figure it out I'll have to take it to the local dealer when I get my student loans in but it just wouldn't feel right being a mechanic going to one myself lol. Plus that's about a month and a half away.

Thanks in advance! (I hope)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-19-2018, 06:56 PM Thread Starter
Squid

Garage
Re: 07 GSXR 600 Fires but Dies instantly

Looks like this thread is gunna be more of a log than a forum but here it goes anyway. Today I put together a manual with schematics and all the sensor test values and got the wires all color coded to go outside and start tearing her down. I started with the gas tank and when I drained the gas, It was back to looking like clay with tons of chunks and I don't know where its coming from. I thought I got it all out last time so this time I took the tank apart and hosed and vacuumed it all out spotless. I then hosed down the pump that was covered surrounded by a clay pot at the pickup. So I ran a vacuum pump on the inlet to get anything out of the lines after hosing it down. It was so bad I figured it must run now as bad as it was. So I put it back together without checking values (fuel lines had nothing but clear gas so the crud never made it through the pump.

Still getting the same symptoms. Pump sounds nice and clean but crank and crank and crank and fire then die immediately. I also noticed that the valve on the exhaust stays closed at this point so I tried playing with that by hand while cranking and no difference.

Any suggestions on which sensors to go for with the meter first?
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-19-2018, 08:28 PM Thread Starter
Squid

Garage

@samantha 750I was wondering, is there another filter somewhere or does it just come with the one in the pump housing?

Also I hosed out everything I could get to (Within tank and pump, without taking pump apart any further than out of the tank) then put a vacuum pump on the outlet to suck out any crud and water. It took a while to pull through the outlet at 15-19Hg. but I'm assuming it's not a free flow and need to be running to open up. The bike is at my parents house so today was the last time I can work on it for a few days but hopefully it will allow time for suggestions. I was going to do a full sensor test today but fixed the obvious issue first which took all my free time. I figure if I bottle feed it fuel and sensors pass inspection I'll circle back to getting a new pump and filter. Also i'll pull the hose off the bottom and see how far she squirts since I don't have a pressure gauge right now. I feel like i'm forgetting something important but I'll come back when I remember.

Oh do you know if this bike has an immobilizer? in my former locksmith days I believe it did match the key and I think that's what the other light on the cluster is that I've never seen come on. But my question was related to that and the HO2 sensor as I noticed in the schematics the the HO2 is wired through the immobilizer (if correct model) and those things usually cut fuel and spark when security or safety come into play.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-19-2018, 08:49 PM Thread Starter
Squid

Garage
That's what I figured. I need to get a new assembly anyway because my float/ gauge doesn't work. Even after cleaning it today and checking all internal wiring the light stays on.
Is there any possible way all the rust and broke down metal in my gas tank could have come from inside the pump? Today is the second time I cleaned it but it was much worse this time and I actually took the time to take it all appart and make it shiny inside. It almost seems like someone has dumped shit in the tank because there was nowhere inside the tank or outside the pump that was rusted or missing metal.
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-19-2018, 09:30 PM Thread Starter
Squid

Garage
Ouch that will hurt. But also remember this is the second time I've drained the crud out. I drained it into a 5 gallon bucket this time and let the gas evaporate. There was about an inch of clay looking crud left on the bottom. And there was only about 1.5 gallons in there. It just seems like an aweful lot for there not to be any broken down metal visible.

So we know I gotta get the pump at least for other issues and I will test pressure at some point. Any idea where to start my
search on verifying ohms and voltages?

For some reason I just don't see the pump being the sole issue. I seem the unburnt fuel while it's cranking and when it turns over the smell goes away so it's not running lean or flooding out unless I'm flooding it intensionally.
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-19-2018, 10:18 PM
You should listen to me. No, seriously, listen to me.

Motorcycle: Blue 2006 GSX-R1000

A new main filter (Samantha's sock) is a bit less than half the price of a pump and probably all you need. Check the output pressure. If it's within spec, the pump motor is probably OK. The level sensor is fairly robust even though the element is exposed. You can check it with an ohmmeter. The specs are in the manual, typically in the combination meter section (go figure). Note that the meter does some averaging to account for sloshing, etc. so don't expect it to instantly respond to your moving the float by hand. I've forgotten but try waiting 30 seconds or more. "Clay looking crud" sounds like death to the filter. It's possible that it could also clog the pressure regulator but I think a new one comes with the main filter.
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-20-2018, 02:02 AM
Provisional Novice

Motorcycle: 2015 GSX-R 600

Just a suggestion...rectifier or stator?
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-20-2018, 03:25 AM Thread Starter
Squid

Garage
Thanks peeps, yea I should have ohmed the float while I had it out but I got so excited to put it back together after getting all that shit out of the system. Looking back there's alot about yesterday I'm kicking myself for but I was suppose to be resting up to make it to work today and got in a hurry. So I'm guess there's more to that built-in filter than a typical mesh sock I would see in a car then? I guess thered have to be if it's all there is because there were a ton of chunks of rusted metal I vacuumed out with a shop vac after washing it. It's true I am a mechanic but still new to street bikes. Done many 2 strokes but that's more like a small engine than a typical motorcycle, so any help I get is much appreciated. I will concentrate my efforts on testing the pump and looking for a filter, thanks for the input
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-20-2018, 03:27 AM Thread Starter
Squid

Garage
These bikes do have a rep for stators and rectifiers but, correct me if I'm wrong, I don't think that would prevent it from running on a full battery hooked up to a tender.
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-20-2018, 11:26 AM

When I think of sock, I'm referring to something like this:

It's akin to the strainer at the bottom of your pump. The main/real filter has a much finer rating.

I gather that yours cranks fine and does run for a bit, so I'm dubious of stator problems. You could check the voltage at the O/W lead of the dealer mode connector. But it ought to be OK.

It's harder to do but you can check the level sensor with gas in the tank. Unplug the electrical connector and measure the resistance at the contacts with the sensor fully raised and fully lowered. But be careful that you don't break/bend things when submersing the float.

I've been focusing on "clay looking crud" but gather that there was a bunch of rust on the inside of the tank. That didn't come from the hurricane. You need to spend some time getting all of it out by mechanical and chemical means or it could clog your pricey new filter. There are many such threads here, this being one of the more informative ones (it's long).

BTW, if you have a US model, it doesn't have an immobilizer. They have a special indicator light on the cluster that blinks when the ignition is turned on. See the service manual for more info.
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-20-2018, 02:56 PM Thread Starter
Squid

Garage
Thanks @BillV that is also what I was picturing with the sock. Just a mesh deal to prevent chunks from clogging things. So is the actual filter part of the pump? I didn't see much on it for the k7s in any of my research but the word is mentioned as if part of the pump or regulator but seems to be in the housing somewhere- maybe that's what the tube looking thing is that's between the strainer (sock) and pump?
I agree with you about the rectifier and thank you for clarifying the bit on the immobilizer as I was scratching my head with that part woundering if all other work could be for nothing if one of those is fried lol.
As I mentioned above, the tank is now 100% spotless. There was a ton of rust in there, chunks as well as the finer shit mixed with gas I claimed to be clay like. Regardless it's all gone now but the puzzle factor is how it got there without any signs of rusty parts once I got it all ship shape. After looking at 100s of diagrams and pics while pricing parts, I'm wondering if someone may have used bad types of metal to clamp the inner workings together - but even a few cheap hose clamps wouldn't amount to the crazy amounts of rust I pulled out - Unless the clayness was broke down filter material as you mentioned in a previous post and the chunks we're something separate that deteriorated.
I'm pretty handy with a multimeter though I wish I could just plug up to a modus and call it a day (do they make something like that for these bikes? Computer scanners I mean). Anyway I'll be fine with checking the sending unit - as it's just a time potentiometer on a stick. I just forgot while I had it apart do to the excitement of getting all the crud out and hoping it would run once put back together. Really it'll only take 10 minutes to get it back out and test it. The 6 hours on the first go was cleaning and prep work after cleaning with water.
Well now I've drifted and rambled and forgot what else I was saying and I can't read your post anymore while typing so I've got some things to think about.

Thanks for all the info and feel free to keep it coming 🙂
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-20-2018, 05:37 PM

The main filter is contained in a nylon casing that is integral to it. It provides some overall support for the other parts, including the level gauge, pressure regulator (also integral to the filter), and the pump motor. The motor is somewhat like a cartridge that plugs into the filter.

Here's one being cut open:
http://oi64.tinypic.com/2ptvs7a.jpg

Suzuki/Mitsubishi redesigned things for the K8 600, which uses the T35 motor. The performance was improved and the price was lowered - by more than 50% for the filter. Unfortunately that won't do you much good.

I don't know what "modus" is other than it seems to refer to truck maintenance. Suzuki has the SDS, which was coming into its own in K6. It's price has come way down, particularly when sold on AliExpress. They use pics of an actual Suzuki/Hitachi product but there are unconfirmed indications that it's something else. That's no big deal if it's a feature-by-feature clone but I'd ask a lot of questions before buying one. SDS is definitely useful but it doesn't measure fuel pressure.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode