Oil Question - Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-19-2018, 08:30 AM Thread Starter
Squid

Oil Question

I recently purchased a K6 750, & I hate for this to be my first post as I know it is so straightforward & this has been brought up many times before...

I changed the oil last weekend, it was super easy. I've always changed my own oil on my cars. I see that it says the engine takes 2200ml right on the clutch case. Some research showed that people needed to put in a bit more as well. I changed the oil & put 2200ml in & after starting the bike, riding it a bit & looked at the site glass with the bike straight up & not on stands...nothing. I poured in the rest of the last quart, which was an extra 683ml & brought the total to 2883ml. Still, no oil on the site glass. WTF. This is akin to me changing my car's oil, pouring in the exact amount & have none register on the dipstick. The bike runs but I'm scared to ride it as I don't want to damage the engine. I don't want to pour in too much oil & I'm already above the 2200ml. I just don't get it. There are absolutely NO leaks & the oil that was in there, to begin with, showed up on the site glass.

Any suggestions?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-19-2018, 08:38 AM
Squid

Motorcycle: 2007 Suzuki GSX-R750
Re: Oil Question

I find more oil appears in the sight glass after I run the bike. You won't damage it if you've put in 2.2l already.

Sent from my HTC Desire 530 using Tapatalk
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-19-2018, 09:21 AM
I know things... A lot of things.

Motorcycle: GSXR 750 K4

What you report sounds like a magic trick, so the only explanations I can think of, short of a major leak, is that you either aren't checking properly (i.e. the bike isn't entirely straight), or the sight glass isn't very clear and you can't see the level, or you overfilled it to begin with and mistook an entirely full sight glass for an entirely empty one. The latter seems the most likely of the lot. Note that you're right in being wary of running the engine with too much oil as it can have undesirable effects, ranging from minor, such as expelling oil into the airbox, through the breather hose, to more major, such as blowing engine seals, due to the elevated pressure inside the crankcase.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-19-2018, 11:28 AM
You should listen to me. No, seriously, listen to me.

Motorcycle: Blue 2006 GSX-R1000

"you overfilled it to begin with and mistook an entirely full sight glass for an entirely empty one"

+1 The new oil is probably nearly clear vs the black old oil so you don't realize that the level is above the sight glass. Look for the level with the bike leaning over, i.e. on the kickstand. A helper to lean the bike while you watch would make that a lot easier.

It sounds like you're doing this, but just to be sure: The correct level is determined when the bike is straight up, not on the kickstand, and level. It should ideally be warmed up, turned off, and allowed to sit for a few minutes.

Note also that 2200 ml is for a basic oil change. It's around 2500 ml if you also replace the oil filter or 2900 ml if you really drain things, ex. the oil cooler & oil lines. But 2883 ml is way too much for a basic change.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-19-2018, 11:31 AM
Squid

Motorcycle: 2007 Suzuki GSX-R750

I manage to over fill it nearly every time as the level in the sight glass is higher after the engine has been run.

Sent from my HTC Desire 530 using Tapatalk
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-19-2018, 08:48 PM
Squid

Motorcycle: 1987 GSXR 1100 plus 48 others

If you've put in the required quantity you'll be OK. If not drain it into a clean container and go again. No harm in being sure.

Just have a closer look as I did this on my Ducati Pantah first time I changed the oil - it was so clear I didn't realise that it was actually full and couldn't tell through the site glass. As long as there are no leaks around the filter (you'll know because there'll be a big mess) and the light goes out when you start it you should be good.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-20-2018, 08:24 AM Thread Starter
Squid

Quote:
Originally Posted by pkay View Post
If you've put in the required quantity you'll be OK. If not drain it into a clean container and go again. No harm in being sure.

Just have a closer look as I did this on my Ducati Pantah first time I changed the oil - it was so clear I didn't realise that it was actually full and couldn't tell through the site glass. As long as there are no leaks around the filter (you'll know because there'll be a big mess) and the light goes out when you start it you should be good.

Yup, I'm thinking based on yours' & others' feedback, that it's a full sight glass. Like you said, I know that I put the right amount (or just over), & there are no leaks, so it has to be okay. I wish I had put the drained oil in an empty container so I could measure it. I mixed it with some extra car oil. There is no light when the bike is on, so I'm sure it's okay.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-20-2018, 12:54 PM
You should listen to me. No, seriously, listen to me.

Motorcycle: Blue 2006 GSX-R1000

"There is no light when the bike is on, so I'm sure it's okay."

No light means that you don't have too little. But too much is still a possibility, or should I say probability.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode