R/R and Stator look fine, but bike died - Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-13-2018, 02:12 PM Thread Starter
Squid

R/R and Stator look fine, but bike died

In my last post I brought up how my bike died while I was riding and the battery was smoking/smelling. I removed my stator and r/r and they both look completely fine. The Stator isn’t burnt anywhere and the r/r doesn’t have any bulges in the back. Are there any other possible issues that could’ve caused my bike to shut down, blow multiple fuses, and blow the low beam?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-14-2018, 09:55 AM
Provisional Novice

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Samantha750 View Post
Have you tested your charging system? Like check the voltage at battery at idle and at 5,000RPM's?
And have you used a DMM to check the R/R instead of going by how it looks? Service manual has the values for how it should test out. Pay close attention to the connection between the stator and R/R.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-14-2018, 11:56 PM
Expert

Garage
Re: R/R and Stator look fine, but bike died

^^+1 on all that stuff, plus the rectifier doesn't have to look physically damaged to be fucked up, and it can even function normally when cold and stop functioning correctly when hot so you really need to do more tests than just eye balling it

Last edited by maniac1886; 07-15-2018 at 12:22 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-18-2018, 11:15 AM Thread Starter
Squid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samantha750 View Post
Have you tested your charging system? Like check the voltage at battery at idle and at 5,000RPM's?
. I would, but the bike won’t start at all. The starter doesn’t turn over and the fuel pump doesn’t prime.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-18-2018, 12:03 PM
Lifetime Premium

Motorcycle: K5 1000 & K1 750

Quote:
Originally Posted by SquidMcgee View Post
. I would, but the bike won’t start at all. The starter doesn’t turn over and the fuel pump doesn’t prime.
CHEC text on gauges? If yes - 99.99% sure ECU is dead like said in the other thread.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-19-2018, 04:56 AM
I know things... A lot of things.

Motorcycle: GSXR 750 K4

If you charge your battery externally, you should be able to disconnect your R/R and stator from the electrics of the bike and take them out of the picture for the time being. If then you still don't get any priming and the starter doesn't operate, you'll have to check the interlock system. Search the site for terms like "ignition interlock test CHEC sidestand starter", as there's plenty of advice there already. A dead ECU is certainly a possibility given the history of the issue, but since the starter isn't operating either, something might have failed which prevents the ECU from being powered. Suspects include the starter button (due to overheating from the overvoltage), the sidestand relay and other components of the interlock.

Once you get your engine to run and repair any damage that might have been caused by the overvoltage, you can test the charging system components and replace as necessary.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode