Tyres. - Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-19-2018, 09:45 AM Thread Starter
Squid

Tyres.

Hello I've just joined having recently bought a k6 750.

It has a 180 rear can you fit a 190? Does it adversely unsettle the bike?

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-19-2018, 12:37 PM
Track Day Winner

Re: Tyres.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fronkey View Post

My experience is going down from 180 to 170. I had two Ducatis at the time 748 and 916. I love the way my 748 would change direction. My 916 was slower in direction change and I would have to recalibrate my mind when riding it. I would take way wider turns. I solved the issues by going with a 170 rear. Most of my buddys where like dude you 916 needs the wider rear to handle the power and after the first-hand experience that's just not the case. I never had an issue with traction with the smaller 170 vs 180 but turn in and drop in where amazing for me. I would say litter bikes with 160hp you are fine with 170-180, with 180hp + 180 might really be needed, with 200hp+ like the New Ducati V4 200 might really be needed. Now if you do go 190 see if you can get a higher rear profile the only issue with that on the street the bike will lean over much more and that is just exacerbated with more speed. I have ridden superbikes for 20 years and tire technology is jump leaps and bounds, I have SuperCorsa on my current bike and they are just simply amazing for my type of riding (fun short weekend blasts when I can sneak away). Good luck man!
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-19-2018, 02:53 PM Thread Starter
Squid

Wow. Thats a pretty comprehensive answer. I was only asking as the tyres on it are crap for the track and i have a set of GP Pros in the garage i was going to bung on it.

It's mainly a track bike

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-19-2018, 08:01 PM
Chubby Chaser

Motorcycle: 2005 GSXR-1000 (track), 2006 GSXR-600 (track/race)

Quote:

Your question is far to general and it depends on the brand and type of tire in question. I see there that the bike is on warmers so is it safe to assume these tires are for track usage? and if so what brand and model of tire are you looking at?

The only 190 series tire that I would mount to a 5.5 inch rear rim like your 750 has is a Dunlop 190/60 GP-Pro DOT tire.

A good rule of thumb is, if the tire model you are looking at is offered in both a 190 and 180 option, then go with the 180 option for your bike which has a 5.5 inch rear wheel.

180/60 (up from older ubiquitous 180/55 size) seems to be new sweet spot for 5.5 inch rims.

Dunlop now offers their rear slick in 180/60 instead of the old 190/55 that was used previously (i've just mounted one of these on my 600 but haven't had a chance to try it yet, I wasn't that happy with the 190/55 slick on it previously). Pirelli has been using 180/60 for their rear slick and DOT tire sizes for a couple years now. The brand new Dunlop Q4 now comes in both 180/55 and 180/60 sizes.

A little more information would be helpful, but most likely my response will be the same as I've stated above.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cachee0 View Post
My experience is going down from 180 to 170. I had two Ducatis at the time 748 and 916. I love the way my 748 would change direction. My 916 was slower in direction change and I would have to recalibrate my mind when riding it. I would take way wider turns. I solved the issues by going with a 170 rear. Most of my buddys where like dude you 916 needs the wider rear to handle the power and after the first-hand experience that's just not the case. I never had an issue with traction with the smaller 170 vs 180 but turn in and drop in where amazing for me. I would say litter bikes with 160hp you are fine with 170-180, with 180hp + 180 might really be needed, with 200hp+ like the New Ducati V4 200 might really be needed. Now if you do go 190 see if you can get a higher rear profile the only issue with that on the street the bike will lean over much more and that is just exacerbated with more speed. I have ridden superbikes for 20 years and tire technology is jump leaps and bounds, I have SuperCorsa on my current bike and they are just simply amazing for my type of riding (fun short weekend blasts when I can sneak away). Good luck man!

None of this is really applicable here. None of the current crop of sport or race tires are offered in a 170 option. A bigger or a smaller number on the tires does not equate to it being "wider". The width of the tire is dictated by the width of the rim. Squeezing too big of a tire onto a smaller rim than it is meant for just pinches the sides in and alters the profile/shape of the tire which can result in it handling irregularly.

At the end of the day though this really depends on usage of the bike and brand/model of tire in question.

Quote:
Wow. Thats a pretty comprehensive answer. I was only asking as the tyres on it are crap for the track and i have a set of GP Pros in the garage i was going to bung on it.

It's mainly a track bike

Sorry I missed this 2nd reply on the thread here. Glad you clarified things here a bit. So yes, to answer your question this would be an acceptable rear tire for the bike. The GPA-Pros only come as a 190/60 and a designed primarily for a 5.5 inch rear like your bike has (they can also be fit to a 6.0 rear as a liter bike has), they are not offered in any other size.

The GPA-Pro was the spec tire for MotoAmerica Supersport for several years. I've run them on my 600 as well and they work well.

"I never drive faster than I can see...besides that it's all in the reflexes."
-Jack Burton

CCS AM #478
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-20-2018, 08:10 AM
Track Day Winner

your right I meant to write 160 not 170, thanks for pointing that out
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-20-2018, 09:24 AM
Chubby Chaser

No worries

Although that would be even worse running a 160 on a 5.5 inch rear rim like this 750 has. 160's are better suited for the 4.5 rear rims like you find on SV650's and such.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-20-2018, 09:46 AM Thread Starter
Squid

Thanks gys. I loved the grip of the gp pros on the track so im glad i can get them on this bike. Its always good to have tyres you have confidence in when riding a new bike.

Any one know anything about quickshifters ?.....

post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-20-2018, 10:35 AM
Chubby Chaser

Quote:
Any one know anything about quickshifters ?.....

They work, I use them, I like them. I have Bazzaz units on both my 1000 and 600.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-20-2018, 10:44 AM
Provisional Novice

Garage
I would like to try a quickshifter. In the meantime I use clutchless upshifting from 2nd through 6th. I use it under the same guidelines as a quickshifter, i.e. smoothest when being aggressive on the throttle, higher in the rpms, 2nd-6th (1-2 is too jerky). Preload the shifter. A quick blip off the throttle and back on and it is smooth as butter. Have you tried it?
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-20-2018, 11:24 AM Thread Starter
Squid

I had one on my R1 it was fantastic I've got one on my VFR it is also fantastic.

I'm looking for one to stick on my power commander 3. Does it just plug in? Does it need the ignition module aswell?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode