Thermostat - Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 06-01-2018, 01:34 AM Thread Starter
Squid

Thermostat

Hi,

the thermostat in my GSXR 750 K7, it says 82 degrees Celsius

i dipped it in boiling water to test it, it did not open, some of my fellow riders say it opens at 120 degrees celsius

i am a bit confused it says 82 degrees Celsius, is the thermostat out of service limit

thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 06-01-2018, 03:49 AM
I know things... A lot of things.

Motorcycle: GSXR 750 K4
Re: Thermostat

If it did not open at all (as opposed to you just somehow missing it) in boiling water then it's way out of spec and probably entirely jammed. Note that, as described in the service manual, page 7-09, the thermostat should just start to open at 82C, but it should have opened by at least 8mm at 95C. If the thermostat stays completely closed, the cooling system of the engine will be effectively disabled and the engine should overheat, so if it did start to open at 120C, your engine would run at 125C, or so, instead of 85C.

Finally, note that you should be careful when testing the thermostat, in order to make sure you're heating it at the temperature you think you are. You can't just throw it and the thermometer in a pot with water, as it will touch the bottom, which is at quite higher temperature than the water in the pot. So you need to make sure both the thermostat and the thermometer are suspended (and stirring the water once in a while, would also help).
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 06-01-2018, 08:46 AM
Squid

Re: Thermostat

Is the Bike overheating at all? It should be with the thermostat not opening at all. Yes it does seem that the thermostat has reached its's limit and no longer operates.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode