Gsxr k7 600 - few issues / fuel/ WOT - Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-29-2018, 05:27 PM Thread Starter
Track Day Winner

Gsxr k7 600 - few issues / fuel/ WOT

Hi All,

Been running my bike now for a few months after getting it working again from being dead.

Long story short I changed the throttle body which came with STVA and STPS.

1. I have a c29 (only) STPS however my line is in the middle. On ignition the butterflies click as if they open nearly fully then close and continue trying to close.

2. bogs down past half throttle or at around 6k revs. If I ease of the throttle it slowly builds momentum but giving it more throttle slows it down.

3. Random but after a garage fitted a new fuel pump the initial 3 second prime is now a continuous prime and does not end?

For 1. Can someone tell me how to correctly reset the spring/ STPS. ? I will also need to get the multimeter and manual out again I’m sure...

For 2 and 3. I have had the fuel pump out and the filters are clear, nothing at all inside. I do believe I have a linked fuel hose and waiting for the replacement part along with some seafoam to arrive but thinking this could all be STPS issue.

Any advise or link on how to reset this spring loaded system would be great.

Also out of interest when setting the idle - wheee does your bike idle at?

Any other thoughts?

Thanks
Like Davis
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-29-2018, 05:29 PM Thread Starter
Track Day Winner

Kinked* fuel hose
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-29-2018, 06:05 PM
Ex-Lady Supermod

Garage
Re: Gsxr k7 600 - few issues / fuel/ WOT

Quote:
Originally Posted by luketdavis View Post
1. I have a c29 (only) STPS however my line is in the middle. On ignition the butterflies click as if they open nearly fully then close and continue trying to close.
I'm guessing you are talking about what shows on the dash in dealer mode? That is only TPS and not STPS.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-30-2018, 05:34 AM
I know things... A lot of things.

Motorcycle: GSXR 750 K4

The part about the continuous prime, indicates either fuel pump wiring problems, or a continually resetting ECU perhaps. The former should throw a code other than C29, the latter would probably lead to CHEC showing on the dash, or perhaps some sort of flickering between CHEC and FI/codes. Is any of this the case?

Other than that, given that you seem to have more than one problems, I'd suggest methodical troubleshooting as your only viable option, so, before adjusting/replacing parts make sure you have established certain things, such as:

1. Make sure your battery voltage is ok (it should be > 12.6V while the fuel pump is cycling).
2 Make sure the signal from your STPS is indeed out of range and throwing the code. The range is specified in page 4-31 of the service manual and again in page 4-70, where the inspection/adjustment procedures are included.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-30-2018, 07:00 AM Thread Starter
Track Day Winner

Great thanks ive just seen this in the manual - going to give it a go tonight.

Battery is new and voltage is perfect off and when fuel pump is priming - This does not actually cause me any issues, it just primes continuously and im not sure if thats dangerous at all.

NO flickering - I literally have the line central and the code with red light on ( -- c29 ) When I first turn on the ignition in dealer mode, the line line is at the bottom but quickly moves up but I think thats just related to it getting the reading as it stays central.

I dont recall the old Throttle body making a clicking noise when the butterflies open/close on start up - this leads me to believe it must be out of position on the new throttle body ? sounds right?

Also - would this really cause a WOT problem ? not that I like doing it often but when I tried revving in neutral it does red line - does this indicate anything to anyone? hopefully more fuel delivery related (kink in hose) rather than butterflies ?

Ill report back on my findings tonight from working through the manual.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-30-2018, 08:21 AM

Quote:
Battery is new and voltage is perfect off and when fuel pump is priming - This does not actually cause me any issues, it just primes continuously and im not sure if thats dangerous at all.
I'm not sure if it is dangerous, but it is a bit puzzling. As far as I know, the ECU controls power to the fuel pump, via the Y/B lead, which grounds the fuel pump relay. It also monitors the output line of the relay, which powers the pump, via the Y/R lead (see diagram on page 4-83 of the manual). If the fuel pump is getting power, even though the ECU isn't trying to power it, by grounding the relay, a C41 should be thrown. As far as I know the ECU doesn't command the fuel pump to stay on all the time, until the engine has started, so I would expect a code, which you say is not the case...

Quote:
NO flickering - I literally have the line central and the code with red light on ( -- c29 ) When I first turn on the ignition in dealer mode, the line line is at the bottom but quickly moves up but I think thats just related to it getting the reading as it stays central.
If the dash is in the middle with the engine not running, then it's probably set too low, but that's unlikely to be related to your current problems, so leave it for now.

Quote:
I dont recall the old Throttle body making a clicking noise when the butterflies open/close on start up - this leads me to believe it must be out of position on the new throttle body ? sounds right?
As far as I can tell, the secondary plates will click a couple of times, even with the STPS properly set. This is likely a means of calibrating the servo on each startup, by having them bang against the upper stop, to find out where it is. In any case, it shouldn't click for long and it shouldn't throw a code afterwards, so if it does, then that would make a maladjusted STPS more likely, as you suspect.

Quote:
Also - would this really cause a WOT problem ? not that I like doing it often but when I tried revving in neutral it does red line - does this indicate anything to anyone? hopefully more fuel delivery related (kink in hose) rather than butterflies ?
Since the secondary plates are placed just upstream of the primaries in the intake tracts, they essentially behave like an overriding throttle, i.e. even if you go WOT, if the secondaries open only half-way, it's more or less as if you had opened the throttle half-way. So yes, they can cause all sorts of problems, depending on the specifics of the mode of failure: if they behave consistently, but open only part way, they will have the same effect, as if you'd replaced your throttle tube with one with a smaller cam, so that going WOT on the grip, doesn't open the throttle all the way (that is, more or less like a properly operating smaller displacement engine), If they behave erratically, the engine's overall throttling will behave erratically, which is not a great situation to be in.

Finally redlining in neutral doesn't say much, since you need way less than WOT to reach the redline in neutral.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-05-2018, 02:27 PM Thread Starter
Track Day Winner

Hi All,

I wanted to report back as I find endless forums the most frustrating,

***If you dont want my life story jumpt to the nxt lot of stars ***

Ill start with a partial apology... I spent a long time goig round in circles and finally resorted to the manuals and wiring diagrams - I noticed immediately that the wires it was asking me to test were the wrong colours.. now, if you see all my my posts I started on this forum at the end of 2017 where I had to pretty much steal my bike back from the garage because it had been sitting with them for over a year and was not getting fixed.. infact when I went into surprise them I found my bike had been sitting outside for 3 months in 30+ deg Celsius and the seat leathers and paint was obviously damaged. They charged me £200 in the first 2 months and I took the bike away worse, I took it back and this is where it spend its remaining 8 months.. they replaced the fuel pump to no avail and tried to charge me for it also... When I finally took the bike from them It would barely ride... It stayed at 7k revs no matter what.

Gutted I decided to take it home and try my best - I replaced cables, throttle body, STP and re cabled some of the worse "quick fix" wiring the garage had put in place to try and "make it work"

After nearly changing the ECU and also very nearly throwing the bike away in March, it really pays of to keep going (and look at manuals, less youtube) I have managed to go from a non working bike to a working bike, clearing error codes by roughly 1 a month through persistence to today a bike with no dealer codes and a perfect working bike - I don't remember the bike ever running so powerful and well.

The apology is down to wiring - the poor WOT/ bogging down is down to a crossed wires, however I labeled all wires upon unplugging them so I can only think this garage had given me a badly wired bike back.... my apology is for not just looking at manual and wiring diagrams from the start.

So - my issue was a wiring issue - my STPS coupler from the ecu was hooked into the Coupler that should have gone into the fuel pump (and visa versa)

Amazingly the bike has worked for the last 6 weeks whilst ive been trying to diagnose it but I now know (from a test drive today) ive been riding with only around 40% of its power and speed (lets call it a 250cc)

I knew the second I had the tank of, wired it correctly and the butterflies opened and stayed open befor ignition - I vaguely remember a bike should open and only after warming, close slowly... bringing the revs back down - whereas with the wrong wiring the bike just started at the revs it stays at.

No more clicking from the butterflies and no more error code (kind of)

So what I am trying to say is dont rule out the stupid - start here , ive seen so many people with the same issue of clicking butterflies after doing work under the hood and now I just wonder why these two couplers that are close to each other should be allowed to work together (in terms of the physical connection)

So here i am with a fully working bike - if you read from my first post you will see the struggle but I really hope this helps someone one day and to return all of the help ill be sure to add my input... if anyone has similar issues to my bike please feel free to PM me - if Ive had the same issue ill give my experience and findings.

and no more error code (kind of)
---- You saw that comment right? well ok - when I check I have a --C00 which is perfect but the red light stays on no matter what... so there is still a wiring issue, and the fuel pump still primes continuously and what I found was I didnt have the fuel 10A fuse... but putting this in means the fuel pump primes even when the key is not in.... (so more dodgy wiring)

But I will continue to prevail and put all of the wiring back to its original state (prior to the garages quick fixes)

But for now - I want to thank everyone for the input and helping me turn my non running GSXXR from not running for 2 years, 11 dealer codes and revving issues, flame thrower exhaust... into my absolute pride and joy..

PM me anytime if you come across any similar issues to the ones I've experienced.

Once again - Thank you GIXXR Forum Team!!!
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-06-2018, 11:25 AM

Make sure the red light doesn't stay on due to low oil pressure.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode