Gasoline bubbling in tank and leaking!! - Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-20-2018, 11:14 PM Thread Starter
Squid

Gasoline bubbling in tank and leaking!!

Over time I noticed gas would find its way out of my tank through the gas cap. Recently it’s worse than ever and I can hear and feel the gas almost boiling (or bubbling) in the tank. I understand this it probably an issue with it not relieving pressure in the tank.. but the thing is I already blew out the over flow line with compressed air and that didnt do anything. I also noticed I have a rubber tube with a larger diameter that sits next to the over flow tube connected to nothing. I can provide pictures.. really don’t know what the issue is. Someone help! Thanks!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-21-2018, 06:23 AM
Dreaming of buttsecks for years...

Motorcycle: Anniversary Edition 600 & 2018 Harley Street Glide
Garage
Re: Gasoline bubbling in tank and leaking!!

The pressure valve in the cap could be bad. Does it only do this bubbling thing when full?

The other line is a drain. With the cap open, you'll see a hole to the left of the filler. This lets water or spilled fuel drain out. On the right side, there's another hole with a gasket. This lines up with a hole on the cap. This is the fuel tank vent.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-22-2018, 04:55 AM Thread Starter
Squid

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGeek View Post
The pressure valve in the cap could be bad. Does it only do this bubbling thing when full?

The other line is a drain. With the cap open, you'll see a hole to the left of the filler. This lets water or spilled fuel drain out. On the right side, there's another hole with a gasket. This lines up with a hole on the cap. This is the fuel tank vent.
It spits out like crazy with the bike full, but you can feel the bubbling no matter what. So I’m guessing throw on a new gas cap all together, was thinking a keyless screw on. As far as the lines might as well throw on some fresh rubbers from the auto part store, while I’m at it..? lol
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-22-2018, 07:08 AM

Garage

If it's actually leaking fuel, you probably have a hole in one of the lines.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-22-2018, 07:57 AM Thread Starter
Squid

Quote:
If it's actually leaking fuel, you probably have a hole in one of the lines.
I mean it’s leaking from the cap itself not the over flow lines, I did forget to mention the smaller overflow line had a big gash on it 3/4s of the way down.. taped it up real good, seems alright should I replace it? Also still can’t figure out where the larger line is hooked up to.. where is the nipple for it?!?
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-22-2018, 09:22 AM

Garage

There should be 2-3 on the bottom of the tank body, plus one more for the fuel pump output.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-22-2018, 10:41 AM Thread Starter
Squid

Quote:
There should be 2-3 on the bottom of the tank body, plus one more for the fuel pump output.
Ok cool thanks man. I’ll check it out if I run into trouble I’ll post pictures
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-23-2018, 04:43 AM Thread Starter
Squid

Quote:
Lol so I figured out the problem.. I had a hose that was supposed to be connect to the air box connected to gas cap breather port, and the lose hose not connected to anything was the second breather hose.. so all I did was reverse it back to normal now I’m good. Thanks for help man. Anyone who ever runs into this stupid issue here’s some pictures.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1BA736D4-6D2B-4AA8-BD02-B968399511C7_1527068534310.jpg (38.3 KB, 3 views)
File Type: jpg A840BFBE-1E86-4292-95F2-E73A0FB584CF_1527068563261.jpg (37.7 KB, 3 views)
File Type: jpg 8798B1C9-36FD-4121-8FA3-3E94AAF47FDD_1527068585011.jpg (40.1 KB, 3 views)
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-24-2018, 06:56 AM
I know things... A lot of things.

Motorcycle: GSXR 750 K4

I think there's a check valve before the crankcase vent hose, but it wouldn't hurt to unscrew the oil filler cap and take a sniff, to make sure no fuel/fuel vapor has been sucked into the crank case, contaminating the oil. If the oil does smell of gasoline, you should replace it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode