Burned out my new clutch in a day..need help - Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 05-02-2018, 06:30 AM Thread Starter
Squid

Burned out my new clutch in a day..need help

So I attempted to replace my original clutch on my bike with a direct oem replacement for my 06 750. Upon doing it I observed that the kit came with 2 steel plates of a different thickness from the rest.(used those 2 different ones last) I started with the flat metal washer and then the wave/spring washer, which honestly confused me on what the order was supposed to go in and the direction of the washers slope. I followed an online diagram photo which was said to be for my exact bike and watched a couple of YouTube videos over and over to make sure I did it correctly. Rode fine later on, for first test ride then started to slip very bad. Did an adjustment both at the lifter pins and lever, nothing changed.(did this many times with the lock nut and Allen head set-up) Took the whole clutch apart.. the steel plates were blue and purple like you wouldn’t believe(overheated) My question is what do you think went wrong? The only thing I could think of was those washers I mentioned were wrong order/direction, I never replaced the clutch cable which was probably stretched, didn’t torque the spring bolts to 7 pounds, the last steel plates weren’t supposed to be a different thickness from the rest. Please help me out thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 05-02-2018, 04:44 PM
Hand-Eye Coordinator

Motorcycle: 2014 675R, 2019 Husky TE300i, 2014 Grom. Yes, Grom, fuck you, it's fun.
Re: Burned out my new clutch in a day..need help

Yeah, you might have fucked it. As far as the washers go, the flat goes in first and the wave second. I am attaching a pic of the order of plates. On top of all this, I would like to ask: what oil did you use?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg clutch.jpg (57.7 KB, 11 views)
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 05-02-2018, 10:50 PM Thread Starter
Squid

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacBayne View Post
Yeah, you might have fucked it. As far as the washers go, the flat goes in first and the wave second. I am attaching a pic of the order of plates. On top of all this, I would like to ask: what oil did you use?

I use Castrol 4 cycle motorcycle oil and and oem oil filter. Thanks for the diagram, but doesn’t seem to make sense, is that off the service manual? The oem kit I got (06,07 600/750) has 2 steel plates different from the rest in thickness I believe and only one different friction plate? (The first one) I also didn’t adjust the lever for slack at all, someone told me that is bad to do. Thoughts?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 05-13-2018, 01:01 AM
Squid

Re: Burned out my new clutch in a day..need help

I actually just replaced my clutch 2 weeks ago on an 06 600. The metal plates are all the same. There are 3 different friction plates though. The one with the biggest opening goes in first. Then you have 6 friction plates that are the same that go on alternating from steal plate to friction. The last friction plate you have is thicker then the other 6 and a slightly different color. It doesn't go on the same way as the other plates. It goes off one more so it's not pushing the others down. Here's the youtube video that explains it better:

youtube.com/watch?v=ZGHByGB_U0w&t=585s

Check that out as he explains everything very well. Hope that helps you! If you have any questions I will try my best to help you out!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode