I think I overcharged my battery and wrecked my stator? - Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-24-2018, 03:51 AM Thread Starter
Squid

Question I think I overcharged my battery and wrecked my stator?

Hi, just joined and already found a ton of useful information in these forums. Last summer, I was preparing for riding season and put my battery on a battery tinder, but I believe it set it on the wrong setting (maybe 12v instead of 2 that it was suppose to be on? I forget).

Now, my battery would die eventually, replace it, last a week or so and smell like sulfur and die. I don't want to repeat this process, but with me improperly charging a batter really wreck my stator/rectifier? I don't have tons of money to throw at it (college), but found a $53 option on eBay.

Also, I found useful guides for checking the status of them, EXCEPT for the servicemanualsgsxr site. I can't find the actual download button anywhere.

Thanks for looking this over.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-24-2018, 04:15 AM
Ex-Lady Supermod

Garage
Re: I think I overcharged my battery and wrecked my stator?

Odds are your rectifier is done for and allowing over charging the battery, hence the sulfur smell. The $53 option on Ebay will be repeatable as those are cheap Chinese knockoff's. Figure a good quality rectifier alone will be $120-150 plus stator if it is bad as well. The best thing you can do when you replace the rectifier is it to relocate it away from behind the radiator.

servicemanualsgsxr.com was taken down in 2012 by threat of copy right infringement by Suzuki, I don't know what the point of the site is now.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-24-2018, 02:09 PM Thread Starter
Squid

Thank you very much for your response. Appreciate it as I get pretty lost. I'll poke around for those relocation guides because I see people recommend that a lot here. I'm not very technical so wish me luck!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-24-2018, 05:11 PM
Ex-Lady Supermod

Garage

Good luck but you shouldn't need it. If you move it to the side like others have, the wires are long enough so no cutting or splicing required.

post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-25-2018, 02:37 PM Thread Starter
Squid

Oh wow, okay. That doesn't seem crazy. I assume there's a spot to attach it there already then. Thank you!
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-25-2018, 03:09 PM
Hand-Eye Coordinator

Motorcycle: 2014 675R, 2019 Husky TE300i, 2014 Grom. Yes, Grom, fuck you, it's fun.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TxColter View Post
Hi, just joined and already found a ton of useful information in these forums. Last summer, I was preparing for riding season and put my battery on a battery tinder, but I believe it set it on the wrong setting (maybe 12v instead of 2 that it was suppose to be on? I forget).
You mean amps, not volts. Motorcycle batteries are 12V with low current.

Quote:
Now, my battery would die eventually, replace it, last a week or so and smell like sulfur and die. I don't want to repeat this process, but with me improperly charging a batter really wreck my stator/rectifier? I don't have tons of money to throw at it (college), but found a $53 option on eBay.
One of the three parts of the charging system, either stator, R/R, or battery can fuck the others. $53? For what? Nevermind, it doesn't matter- I wouldn't pay $53 for a single part of the charging system.

This is a fix in the hundreds of dollars. Time to start donating semen. It'll run you $40 for a DMM even just to test the parts.

Quote:
Also, I found useful guides for checking the status of them, EXCEPT for the servicemanualsgsxr site. I can't find the actual download button anywhere.

Thanks for looking this over.
https://www.gixxer.com/forums/269-11-...-l4-l5-l6.html

Charging system checks are the same.

After buying a DMM, all told, you are looking at $250 to fix this problem, provided the stator didn't shit the bed.

"A girl phoned me and said, "Come on over. There's nobody home." I went over. Nobody was home!"

-Dangerfield
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-26-2018, 02:05 AM Thread Starter
Squid

Thank you very much for the information and link. I appreciate you taking the time to write that all up!
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-26-2018, 02:14 AM
Ex-Lady Supermod

Garage

I often wonder why we bother to "sticky" threads that are thought to be helpful to members. They just seem to take up room and just sit there all alone and forgotten, just so sad.

Removing stator recfitier instructions pics

This might be helpful as well.

Last edited by Samantha750; 04-26-2018 at 02:28 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode