Im puzzled to why i have no o2 sensor - Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 30 (permalink) Old 04-19-2018, 05:37 AM Thread Starter
Track Day Winner

Im puzzled to why i have no o2 sensor

I was stripping my fairings off today getting the bike ready to go get valve clearances checked and i noticed my bike has no o2 sensor how will this run without it is there a o2 elimator kit i should look for on my bike or does that mean my bike has been dyno tuned or does it have a power commander hidden somewhere.

Ive just bought the bike and have no history on it.

I thought it only had the slip on till i realised it has headers aswell. The headers have a o2 bung so im unsure why the o2 wasnt just installed into the new exhaust.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20180419_145807_1524133924895.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	38.4 KB
ID:	545889  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 30 (permalink) Old 04-19-2018, 10:40 PM
Likes to race old junk.

Location: Innisfail, Alberta and Baffin Island, Nunavut Territory, Canada
Motorcycle: Singles, Twins, a Triple, Four's, a Six and an Eight!
Re: Im puzzled to why i have no o2 sensor

BikeBoy.org - Fuel Injection Open Loop and Closed Loop
Read this, and it should help you understand.
Your bike never came with an 02 sensor.
post #3 of 30 (permalink) Old 04-20-2018, 03:56 AM
Squid

No o2 sensor and full exhaustpipe is good combination when is bike is tuned. PC is plugged under the tank, the box itself can be anywhere. Rapidbikebox has own harness, the box can be taken off from it. Is the bike own box tunable, is it tuned? Look if something is plugged into o2 sensor's hole.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 30 (permalink) Old 04-20-2018, 04:03 AM Thread Starter
Track Day Winner

Im unsure if its been tuned but i would say i highly doubt it. Ive got no history on the bike. Somebody probably just went out n bought a full exhaust n job done. Just a shame they put a two brothers on it. Dont really like it way to loud even with the silencer cap in it.
post #5 of 30 (permalink) Old 04-20-2018, 04:11 AM
Squid

I had same thing when I got my gsxr. But there was this mysterious usb-line under passenger seat. Turned out it was a rapidbox harness, the box itself was taken away before selling the bike.
I drove 1 summer without issues and got pcv on next winter. No worries there. In a long run u need some solution thou.
post #6 of 30 (permalink) Old 04-20-2018, 04:17 AM Thread Starter
Track Day Winner

Do i need a power commander with just an exhaust
post #7 of 30 (permalink) Old 04-20-2018, 04:18 AM
Squid

... but by all means if u it worries you, get a lambda while figuring out what to do. Second-hand one's are almost cheap! 🙂
post #8 of 30 (permalink) Old 04-20-2018, 04:19 AM
Squid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim1nz View Post
Do i need a power commander with just an exhaust
I would. And tuning too.
post #9 of 30 (permalink) Old 04-20-2018, 05:22 AM Thread Starter
Track Day Winner

Surely the exhaust doesnt make that much of a difference. Looking at photos of the factory headers they look very similar except for the butterfly valve but all in all looks like a decent flowing set of factory headers. I would of thought the slip on would make the biggest difference removing the cat convertor and that restrictive muffler replacing it with a straight through can. I just wouldnt of thought the exhaust would of made that much difference.
post #10 of 30 (permalink) Old 04-20-2018, 05:44 AM
Ex-Lady Supermod

Garage

Quote:
Surely the exhaust doesnt make that much of a difference. Looking at photos of the factory headers they look very similar except for the butterfly valve but all in all looks like a decent flowing set of factory headers. I would of thought the slip on would make the biggest difference removing the cat convertor and that restrictive muffler replacing it with a straight through can. I just wouldnt of thought the exhaust would of made that much difference.
It's not he headers but the removal of the cat that you should get the bike tuned. For example on my K8, changing the exhaust does not eliminate the cat so no tune required.
post #11 of 30 (permalink) Old 04-20-2018, 05:52 AM
Squid

I think whatever u do, the bike wont mind. My angle is that now the pipe really doesn't make too much anything. I understood u think it sounds and looks bad.
It is designed to give power and it's probably bit lighter than original. If those mean not so much to u, my advice is; sell it and find and put cheaper second-hand original pipe back instead.
post #12 of 30 (permalink) Old 04-20-2018, 05:55 AM
Squid

OK, so now I realized that the cat is still in place? If so then the tuning is not that important.. My bad!
post #13 of 30 (permalink) Old 04-20-2018, 06:13 AM Thread Starter
Track Day Winner

Definitely has no cat mate. Think the exhaust might of been like this for years without a tune.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20180419_145807_1524222748463.jpg
Views:	3
Size:	38.4 KB
ID:	545985  
post #14 of 30 (permalink) Old 04-20-2018, 06:13 AM
Ex-Lady Supermod

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by lighter View Post
OK, so now I realized that the cat is still in place? If so then the tuning is not that important.. My bad!
Who are you speaking to? Who's cat is still in place?
post #15 of 30 (permalink) Old 04-20-2018, 06:17 AM
Ex-Lady Supermod

Garage

Quote:
Definitely has no cat mate. Think the exhaust might of been like this for years without a tune.
Maybe but that doesn't mean it shouldn't be done. If you're going to get a new exhaust then wait otherwise you need to get it tuned as you are likely running lean.
post #16 of 30 (permalink) Old 04-20-2018, 06:18 AM Thread Starter
Track Day Winner

Yea i dont mind the note of it just to loud. And im warming up to the look of the exhaust. Not sure how long ill keep the bike for i want a 750 but after putting a few miles on this i might decide this is quick enough for what i want. Not sure what future will hold for the bike but im 100% sold on the comfort of this shape. Definitely like the bike.
post #17 of 30 (permalink) Old 04-20-2018, 06:22 AM Thread Starter
Track Day Winner

Yes i realise itll be running lean. Was just hoping it wouldnt be that lean that itd be dangerous. Is it worth me buying an older model power commander 2nd hand does it do just as good a job as the late model ones or is my ecu reflashable.
post #18 of 30 (permalink) Old 04-20-2018, 06:24 AM Thread Starter
Track Day Winner

Would running as higher octane as possible make my bike run abit safer. Ie 98 pump fuel
post #19 of 30 (permalink) Old 04-20-2018, 06:29 AM
Ex-Lady Supermod

Garage

Quote:
Yes i realise itll be running lean. Was just hoping it wouldnt be that lean that itd be dangerous. Is it worth me buying an older model power commander 2nd hand does it do just as good a job as the late model ones or is my ecu reflashable.
Nothing wrong with an older PC and you can run on a downloaded map till you get sorted. You might want to try different maps to see which works best. You can also flash the ecu but not nearly as good as a custom tune in my opinion. As for 2Bro's...

post #20 of 30 (permalink) Old 04-20-2018, 06:42 AM Thread Starter
Track Day Winner

Wow thats some impressive fireworks. Are the older pcs dyno tunable like can you put a custom tune on it and also can i skip the power commander and just reflash the factory ecu with a custom dyno tune
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode