Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner

06 750 GSXR -1 +2!? Pros & Cons?

3K views 14 replies 9 participants last post by  TheCunningMan 
#1 ·
I bought a 06 750 GSXR that has custom gearing,
front -1
rear +2

What are the pros and cons?

& do you guys think chain links are the same as stock or increased?

#3 ·
I did my 03 750 and am loving it. It's really woken the bike up on the low end side. Cons for some people might be:
Takes away from top end- not a con for me because I don't do 150+ on public roads
The bike will ride in the high RPMs on highway. Doesn't bother me but might for people who ride a lot of highway.

All-in-all I am very happy with this mod.

#6 ·
Surprised no one mentioned it but it will further mess up your speedometer. From the factory, the speedometer is off from 5% to 12% but the average is 10'ish. Changing the sprockets will be 15%- 20% off. So at minimum of 15%@ 80mph indicated you will be at 68 actual and at 20% your actual is 64. That for me is a con and even on stock sprockets I was nearly 10% optimistic, so at 70 my actual speed was 63.

#8 ·
Your speedometer was off by a % not 10mph. You weren't off 10 miles at 50, 10 miles at 70 and 10 miles at 90. You also didn't mention the additional $70-120 for a speedo correcter. Plus, you must be one hell of a good mechanic if you got it installed in 10 minutes. Took me longer than 10 minutes just to get the plugs undone once I located them. If you mean 10 minutes to program it, you must be a bit slow as once you ascertain the percentage you are off, programming doesn't take but a minute or two.

#12 ·
Off by 10mph at 60mph, doesn't mean that it is off by 10mph at 100, or even 150mph... Nor would it mean that it is off by 10mph at 20mph.

That is what Sam was getting at with the percentage. You just stated "my bike was off by 10mph", without stating at what speed, therefore it would be appropriate to use a percentage. "The new gearing showed that I was traveling 15% faster than I was" or "with the new gearing, it showed that I was doing 75 when I was actually going 65."

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.