Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner

Rear Wheel On/Off Advice

821 views 7 replies 4 participants last post by  Quick Gixxer 750 
#1 ·
Im putting my powder coated silver wheels back on my silver/yellow 07' 1K this week sometime and I need a little help . When I took the rear wheel on and off the last time (tire change) I scratched the shit out of it with the brake caliper . I dont want this to be a repeat when I just got my wheels done . Any advice will be greatly appreciated !

#3 ·
Yeah I had it on a rear stand . The problem wasn't really taking the wheel off . It was going back on when I scratched it up so bad . I took the caliper off because the wheel wouldn't clear it . Then when I tried to put the caliper back on it scratched it all to hell . Im definitely going to be a lot more careful . I just need some tips to avoid this happening again .

#4 ·
Spread your rear brake pads out so the rear rotor will go in easy. Then position your rear brake mounting bracket where it's supposed to go an then put your rear axle in just enough to hold the brake mount but not so far the axle sticks all the way through the bracket.

If you angle your rear wheel to the left you can slide it in and up into the rear caliper without touching anything. Lift the wheel up using your foot or a short piece of 2X4 under the tire and slide the axle through.

Don't forget to pump up ur rear brake after you have everything in place.

#7 ·
jpracing39 said:
Spread your rear brake pads out so the rear rotor will go in easy. Then position your rear brake mounting bracket where it's supposed to go an then put your rear axle in just enough to hold the brake mount but not so far the axle sticks all the way through the bracket.

If you angle your rear wheel to the left you can slide it in and up into the rear caliper without touching anything. Lift the wheel up using your foot or a short piece of 2X4 under the tire and slide the axle through.

All in one solution to your problem with detailed instructions, but you decide to thank the guy with the tape idea??? Just Wondering.

#8 ·
jpracing39 said:

Thanks alot man ! Thats the response i've been looking for . I really appreciate it .

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.