Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner

sprocket cover recall?

970 views 11 replies 10 participants last post by  Will750GSXR 
#1 ·
I was pulling over into a parking lot to stop and make a call. It was empty so I pulled into a parking spot and held the clutch in like normal and proceeded to roll the bike back so when I was done I could just take off. When I was pushing it back it felt like there was force holding it back a bit. I thought maybe it was on a hill and just pushed it a bit harder....i had the clutch all the way in, so me being in first gear shouldn't of mattered. All of a sudden I heard a pop.

I got off of it and looked at it, couldn't see anything but the clutch lever was loose. I had to adjust it all the way out to get it to engange properly. I was stuck about 20 miles from home, but the bike was going into gears fine and everything once i adjusted the lever so i thought maybe it just needed to be adjusted somewhere else. So I got it home and called a buddy to see if he could check it out. He couldn't until tonight. Well when I went to pull it out of the garage, same thing but a loud POP and all the clutch pressure was gone.

...I look down and the sprocket cover was just about cracked in half!!!!!! I'm guessing that's what you call it. It's the cover where the speed sensor is plugged in to and it's right behind the foot shifter.

Is there a recall on this? What could make this happen on a bike that JUST passed the 2,000 mile mark? It has had it's recommended service done at a dealership and i've taken amazing care of this bike.

I was told it's easy to change, but does anyone know how much this is going to cost me. I have a warranty, but the warranty is refundable if I don't use it so if it's not expensive i'd rather not takie it through warranty.

See less See more
#3 ·
Thats weird for sure. When you take it apart start the bike up and put it in gear and simulate the same situation. Did the bike lunge when your heard the pop?
Im tryin to think what can happen when rolling backwards on a disengaged clutch and nothing negative should happen because technically there isnt anything touching.
My buddy had a similar problem one night, heard a loud pop and then decreased clutch feel but after he rode it around for a couple of days it was fine.
As for cost, provided this was just an isolated incident, it will only cost the price of a new cover which is cheap.

#7 ·
The bike didnt' lunge forward at any point in time. I don't know if maybe the case was just faulty or what.

I'll let yall know! Thx for the help.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.