2 Issues, Bike runs then 10min later cuts out over 3k RPM - Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com

1Likes
  • 1 Post By Samantha750

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-24-2017, 10:30 AM Thread Starter
Squid

2 Issues, Bike runs then 10min later cuts out over 3k RPM

Hello all, I own a GSX650f im 17 as this is my first sport bike I owned bought it before my first car. Never had an issue till now, the bike has a street fighter look other then that its stock. First issue I had was when I went to lay into the throttle it wont go past 9k RPM it just sits there and will only gain a little speed if I let off the throttle a bit or change gears bike wont go over 100MPH. So I took apart fuel pump cleaned filter didnt even look that bad but some of the wire leads are pretty sketch as in one of them is only hanging on by a thread of metal. Put the pump back together and still wouldn't go past 8-9k RPM. So I ordered new pump with wire leads only because I found one for a good deal, going to go to harbor freight today and pick up a fuel pressure gage. But now the issue I have is after about 15 minutes of riding the bike starts to start bogging even more and now wont even go over 3k rpm and only moves when I change gears and slitgly tilt throttle but if I turn off and on again it runs good again for about 1mintue. I tested battery today, read 12.6V but when out under load read 4-5V and said (Replace) it also didn't jump up when started or down. So im set on it being the fuel pump, Battery, injectors or spark plugs. Anyone help is appreciated as I cant stand the thought of my bike now performing how it should. Bike only has 5k miles on it but we do have cold weather down here. Also ran bike with VP race fuel cleaner in it guess it didn't do shit.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-24-2017, 08:17 PM
Want's to see grandma's Snapper....

Motorcycle: WR250R
Re: 2 Issues, Bike runs then 10min later cuts out over 3k RPM

I think your on the right track. Fix/replace that wire that you mentioned, test the fuel pressure and try and new battery. Low batteries can do weird things. Not very familiar with your bike but sometimes the fuel strainer can get clogged as well. Did the bike sit all winter with untreated fuel?
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-24-2017, 10:31 PM Thread Starter
Squid

Thanks for advice, bike is at a shop now after problem got even worse. They wanted 118$ just for scan so cant wait to see what they find and what they want. Pops is a friend with owner so we will see how that goes but when new pump gets here ill give it to them. Just sucks start work Monday as Apprentice mechanic at lexus and bought that before my first car so kinda beat...We will see thanks for help though man.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-30-2017, 12:44 PM
Want's to see grandma's Snapper....

Motorcycle: WR250R

Quote:
Originally Posted by TylerGSX650F View Post
Thanks for advice, bike is at a shop now after problem got even worse. They wanted 118$ just for scan so cant wait to see what they find and what they want. Pops is a friend with owner so we will see how that goes but when new pump gets here ill give it to them. Just sucks start work Monday as Apprentice mechanic at lexus and bought that before my first car so kinda beat...We will see thanks for help though man.
Did you ever do a fuel pressure test? I think you could have worked this problem out before dropping it off at a shop, especially since you are going to be a mechanic. Should have put that new pump in yourself, since you went and ordered it and see if replacing the damaged wires fixed it. That is my guess at what was wrong. Post up what the shop finds.

Last edited by Ironhead401; 03-30-2017 at 12:46 PM.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-30-2017, 01:09 PM
Likes Diiiiiiiiiiiiiiicks

Motorcycle: 2006 GSXR "250"
Garage

This is the equivalent of Chris, just an FYI.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-30-2017, 11:52 PM
Soberz again

Motorcycle: 2006 GSX-R1000
Garage

The bike is carbed. You need a full carb clean. Since you're having trouble at high RPMs specifically, I'd suggest that you take off the carb bank and thoroughly clean all of your MAIN jets. You're low RPM woes will be caused by the PILOT jets. If you don't know what I'm referring to, grab a service manual. I'm guessing this thing sat around for a while before you bought it with shitty fuel in it and/or the bike was just a victim of atmospheric condensation. Easy fix. Good luck.

Edit: Ignore my post. I was thinking of older smaller displacement Suzukis where there actually were carbs involved. Carry on.

I'd rather ride and control an Analog bike than ride and be controlled by a Digital one.

Last edited by Carnage; 03-31-2017 at 03:15 AM. Reason: Sorry...got remindied that this bike is actually fuel injected!
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-30-2017, 11:59 PM
Ex-Lady Supermod

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carnage View Post
The bike is carbed. You need a full carb clean. Since you're having trouble at high RPMs specifically, I'd suggest that you take off the carb bank and thoroughly clean all of your MAIN jets. You're low RPM woes will be caused by the PILOT jets. If you don't know what I'm referring to, grab a service manual. I'm guessing this thing sat around for a while before you bought it with shitty fuel in it and/or the bike was just a victim of atmospheric condensation. Easy fix. Good luck.
The GSX650F? No, that is fuel injected.

"Suzuki's dual-throttle-valve electronic fuel-injection provides crisp throttle response..."
Carnage likes this.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-31-2017, 12:11 AM
Soberz again

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samantha750 View Post
The GSX650F? No, that is fuel injected.

"Suzuki's dual-throttle-valve electronic fuel-injection provides crisp throttle response..."
I could be wrong. I'm thinking of an old Katana/Bandit iteration. If so, go ahead and delete my post.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-31-2017, 03:17 AM
Soberz again

Garage

We need a pic of the GSX650F!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode