Your Opinion #1 overall Draft pick? - Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 46 (permalink) Old 03-27-2009, 05:43 PM Thread Starter
Superbike

Motorcycle: 05 Gixxer 600
Your Opinion #1 overall Draft pick?

So out of curiousty who does everyone think will go #1 overall? Or who thinks Detroit will deal the #1 pick on a trade?

Im going with Detroit dealing the pick away, I am probably wrong but im taking a long shot on this one
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 46 (permalink) Old 03-27-2009, 11:22 PM
Jer
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Motorcycle: K7 GSX-R1000 B/W (the fastest color)
Re: Your Opinion #1 overall Draft pick?

I sure Denver isn't dumb enough to trade Cutler to them for the #1 pick is all i can say about that. Nothing like trading an unknown for a proven commodity. It's like trading a boat for whatever is behind door #2. Just take the fucking boat and rock that bitch!
post #3 of 46 (permalink) Old 03-28-2009, 07:10 AM Thread Starter
Superbike

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jer View Post
I sure Denver isn't dumb enough to trade Cutler to them for the #1 pick is all i can say about that. Nothing like trading an unknown for a proven commodity. It's like trading a boat for whatever is behind door #2. Just take the fucking boat and rock that bitch!

Lol I agree with that, I dont think their that dumb either but I think its still and option that Detroit will deal the #1 pick. I just dont know for who and what, pretty much why I said i'm probably wrong.

If I were to choose a player and I was Detroit I would stop worrying about the Joey Harrington memory that they are worried about and draft Stafford... I mean seriously how many other #1 picks have been busts? Theres a few so there is no telling but they need to take a gamble and do something to better their offense. You cant do worse then 0-16
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 46 (permalink) Old 03-28-2009, 07:47 AM
Nittany Lion

Motorcycle: Track - 99 SRAD 600, Street - Blue/White K8 750

detroit will def. not trade their pic. They made too many mistakes in the past and their trying to turn that around. Can you imagine the heat of trading their first pick if that doesn't go right, after all the mistakes they have made in the past ? And even though Cutler is a great player, Detroit trading for him would be a great risk factor, not knowing if he is gonna start whining in a couple of years. Im gonna say that they are gonna surprise everyone and even though I don't think he's a no. 1 pick status, their gonna take a shot at marc sanchez from usc.
post #5 of 46 (permalink) Old 03-28-2009, 07:51 AM
Nittany Lion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jer View Post
Years ago your point would have made sense, but sorry it no longer does and you are very wrong. Its all about dollars and cents now a days. Its not about receiving talent for talent. especially with teams having to budget for the cap. In fact, it's more likely that any team would trade a star being paid a big salary to someone for an up and coming prospect who makes much less money than that star. This allows that team who just unloaded that big contract, to clear more room under the cap and in addition to that, they get that cheaper player at a bargain price, if he performs well under those cheap contract years and once that player becomes a star and his contract is due to be renewed, its adios amigos. It's a cycle that teams are forced to gamble on. So your point my friend is, well sorry, just doesn't make sense in today's modern sports. This is why we see the NFL trading players, unlike before the cap, teams never traded one player for another.
post #6 of 46 (permalink) Old 03-28-2009, 08:17 AM Thread Starter
Superbike

Quote:
Originally Posted by pearljam724 View Post
detroit will def. not trade their pic. They made too many mistakes in the past and their trying to turn that around. Can you imagine the heat of trading their first pick if that doesn't go right, after all the mistakes they have made in the past ? And even though Cutler is a great player, Detroit trading for him would be a great risk factor, not knowing if he is gonna start whining in a couple of years. Im gonna say that they are gonna surprise everyone and even though I don't think he's a no. 1 pick status, their gonna take a shot at marc sanchez from usc.

Wow that would definitely be a shocker if they did. Im nuetral i think anything is possible.

So you think Sanchez goes #1 for detroit then?
post #7 of 46 (permalink) Old 03-28-2009, 08:27 AM Thread Starter
Superbike

Quote:
Years ago your point would have made sense, but sorry it no longer does and you are very wrong. Its all about dollars and cents now a days. Its not about receiving talent for talent. especially with teams having to budget for the cap. In fact, it's more likely that any team would trade a star being paid a big salary to someone for an up and coming prospect who makes much less money than that star. This allows that team who just unloaded that big contract, to clear more room under the cap and in addition to that, they get that cheaper player at a bargain price, if he performs well under those cheap contract years and once that player becomes a star and his contract is due to be renewed, its adios amigos. It's a cycle that teams are forced to gamble on. So your point my friend is, well sorry, just doesn't make sense in today's modern sports. This is why we see the NFL trading players, unlike before the cap, teams never traded one player for another.
I have to agree with everything being about $$ which is actually something that really aggrevates me. EVERYTHING is about money these days nobody has values with anything. NFL teams with money to spend on players are the teams that are competetive and win superbowls. Teams that dont have as much money are just that, another team playing.

Then if it isnt the teams its the players, whining and wanting STUPID $$ amounts for them to play.
WTF happened to players just playing because they want to play

To me because players want the big dollars the game has come down to the most athletic players which essentially has led to why there are SO MANY injuries. Someone please tell me were the players of the ol days always just the most athletic? No they were players who wanted to play and there injuries werent the same as what we see in todays NFL.

Ok rant over but its true and just my opinion right wrong or indifferent
post #8 of 46 (permalink) Old 03-28-2009, 02:06 PM
Nittany Lion

agree with 95 % of what you stated Jamesnot, with the exception of teams that spend win superbowls. Yeah spending is gonna fill the seats, but doesn't guarantee you anything. Im from pa, the steelers spend as little as anyone. But they are a very successful franchise. Why, because they make very smart decisions under the laws of the salary cap. It's a gamble of knowing when and not when to let someone go, a gamble on smaller contract guys paying dividends or not. The Steelers for example have made good gambles and are very good at evaluating future talent at a cheaper price. The Phillies, Marlins, are another good example and their are many others. The Redskins,Cowboys, Yankees for example are the big spenders, but have made very stupid gambles that didn't pay off. See my point ? I'm not a big Marc Sanchez fan at all, I wouldn't take him with my first pic. But, a lot of scouts say he has more raw talent than anyone available in the draft at the qb position. Including Stafford, I have no inside info on the Lions, but Sanchez is my bet. And if it were me and I weren't the Detroit Lions, my pic, bar none, would be Michael Crabtree. This guy is a stud and no doubt will be a star, giving that he is put in the right situation. But, because it's the Lions and they desperately need a franshise qb, it's gonna be Sanchez.
post #9 of 46 (permalink) Old 03-28-2009, 03:11 PM
Lifetime Premium

Motorcycle: K3 600.. K7 750.. 09 R1

A trade is highly unlikely as there is no one in the draft worth jumping up for. At least for that number one spot. When you consider the amount of money your going to have to shell out to this kid before he even takes an NFL snap. The risk is something teams don't want to take. Lions management heads are already rolling after their past picks of Charles Rogers, Roy Williams, Calvin Johnson (Still hope for this kid) Kevin Jones, Joey Harrington etc... List goes on of under achievers. This is where it pays to have great scouts. None the less the Lions would be smart by picking one of the few bonified tackles coming out. Give some hope to kid they drafted at RB last year. Mark Sanches going first will not happen. I'd put my bike on it. Matt Stafford will go if they pick a QB.

There is or will be enough talent at QB for you to survive. Unless your totally sold on a franchise QB. Its retarded to draft because they are the best available this year. Like San Fran did when drafting Alex Smith.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

07 GSXR 750
520 -1+2 SS Conv
SpeedoHealer
Yosh R55
1CarbonTech CF
Pazzo Shorties
Puig Windscreen & Hugger
Bad Boy Racing Sliders
post #10 of 46 (permalink) Old 03-28-2009, 11:20 PM
Nittany Lion

agreed to everything you said bro, but don't be so quick to bet against them taking Sanchez. I guess we'll have ta wait and see. People don't realize, over the years they have made two awesome pics that turned out great. Calvin Johnson ( bar none, best recieiver in NFL ) and i'll argue that all day. Kevin Smith ( very good back ) But, so, so, so many other mistakes. Regardless, this may be the worst draft class in some time, with the exception of a few.
post #11 of 46 (permalink) Old 03-29-2009, 02:19 AM Thread Starter
Superbike

I like both of your insights, and with the spending topic i agree with Dallas and the amount they spend with no results lol. I do however disagree that the Redskins spend money like the cowgirls on players to get nowhere.

I am a tru San Fran fan from back when i was a kid( just watched em one day and stuck with them) but I am from DC/MD area, literally the redskins stadium sits in my parents back yard. We could sit ouside and listent to the game so the redskins are my next best team and i dont think they spend like Dallas which if any team I hate the most its dallas, And Pittsburg might be a close 2nd now that they have more superbowl rings then san fran ok ok ok i kid I dont got nothing against the steelers outside of that ;-).
post #12 of 46 (permalink) Old 03-29-2009, 02:32 AM
Nittany Lion

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesNotlr1000 View Post
I like both of your insights, and with the spending topic i agree with Dallas and the amount they spend with no results lol. I do however disagree that the Redskins spend money like the cowgirls on players to get nowhere.

I am a tru San Fran fan from back when i was a kid( just watched em one day and stuck with them) but I am from DC/MD area, literally the redskins stadium sits in my parents back yard. We could sit ouside and listent to the game so the redskins are my next best team and i dont think they spend like Dallas which if any team I hate the most its dallas, And Pittsburg might be a close 2nd now that they have more superbowl rings then san fran ok ok ok i kid I dont got nothing against the steelers outside of that ;-).
Washington spends every bit of money if not more than Dallas, I guess you don't remember a few years back when they had the great idea to go out and sign names like Bruce Smith, Deion Sanders, Shawn Springs, and Jeff George just to name a few in one season and that very season they went 4-12. What a joke that was. And I guess you didn't know they just won a bidding war for a nose tackle, Albert Haynesworth and awarding him with the highest contract in the NFL and not taking anything away from Haynesworth, but he's a fucking nose tackle.To give a guy that kind of money that doesn't play a marque positon is just stupid. Washington spends more than anyone in the league and they still can't find ways to win on a large scale for what they pay out. Not busting on your team bro, but they are the only frachise that may be worse than what Dallas did last year. That organization has had a cloud hovering over them since Dan Snyder has arrived. Gotta give Dan credit for making an attempt to win by signing big names, but they have been busts. But, I'll give Dan this, he's in a market that he has no other choice but to sign big names to fill the seats, regardless of winning the big one or not and especially knowing he has to compete with Jerry "Jack Ass" Jones, being they are in the same division. I laughed my ass off when earlier in the year, Jones and everone else thought they were gonna buy a Superbowl by signing clowns like T.O. aka " The Crybaby", Adam " The Thug" Jones. Roy "Aint never done shit" Williams. Everyone in the nation at that time thought they were gonna cake walk to a title. Its not how much you spend, it's who you spend it on. Just an example of what I spoke of earlier. Washington is the biggest example that it doesn't always pay off to go on a spending spree and teams are just know learning this, it's better to spend a small to medium amount and get a bigger return by the decisions on who you spend that money on. Dallas and the Yankees are just now learning this as well by looking at teams like Pittsburgh, Phillies, Marlins, Chargers, Packers, Eagles, Ravens the list goes on.
post #13 of 46 (permalink) Old 03-29-2009, 07:26 PM
Lifetime Premium

I'd guarantee the Lions don't take Mark Sanchez. But it is the Lions and they are a pretty foolish organization so who knows. And I will also argue the FACT Calvin Johnson is not the best receiver in the sport. He will be a good. BUT Larry Fitzgerald is the best by far. And Andre Johnson, Steve Smith are up there as well.

And the Cowboys suffer just like the Raiders do. Sorry owners. For "Americas Team" with a bunch of stars, its sad their grouped with the likes or the Lions, Browns, Bengals and like 2 other teams who haven't won a playoff game in a decade.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

07 GSXR 750
520 -1+2 SS Conv
SpeedoHealer
Yosh R55
1CarbonTech CF
Pazzo Shorties
Puig Windscreen & Hugger
Bad Boy Racing Sliders
post #14 of 46 (permalink) Old 03-30-2009, 08:48 AM Thread Starter
Superbike

Quote:
Washington spends every bit of money if not more than Dallas, I guess you don't remember a few years back when they had the great idea to go out and sign names like Bruce Smith, Deion Sanders, Shawn Springs, and Jeff George just to name a few in one season and that very season they went 4-12. What a joke that was. And I guess you didn't know they just won a bidding war for a nose tackle, Albert Haynesworth and awarding him with the highest contract in the NFL and not taking anything away from Haynesworth, but he's a fucking nose tackle.To give a guy that kind of money that doesn't play a marque positon is just stupid. Washington spends more than anyone in the league and they still can't find ways to win on a large scale for what they pay out. Not busting on your team bro, but they are the only frachise that may be worse than what Dallas did last year. That organization has had a cloud hovering over them since Dan Snyder has arrived. Gotta give Dan credit for making an attempt to win by signing big names, but they have been busts. But, I'll give Dan this, he's in a market that he has no other choice but to sign big names to fill the seats, regardless of winning the big one or not and especially knowing he has to compete with Jerry "Jack Ass" Jones, being they are in the same division. I laughed my ass off when earlier in the year, Jones and everone else thought they were gonna buy a Superbowl by signing clowns like T.O. aka " The Crybaby", Adam " The Thug" Jones. Roy "Aint never done shit" Williams. Everyone in the nation at that time thought they were gonna cake walk to a title. Its not how much you spend, it's who you spend it on. Just an example of what I spoke of earlier. Washington is the biggest example that it doesn't always pay off to go on a spending spree and teams are just know learning this, it's better to spend a small to medium amount and get a bigger return by the decisions on who you spend that money on. Dallas and the Yankees are just now learning this as well by looking at teams like Pittsburgh, Phillies, Marlins, Chargers, Packers, Eagles, Ravens the list goes on.
One things for sure, we both seem to share the same dislikes of Dallas

But now that you mention it i do recall when the Redskins signed alot of those players, I didnt follow them as much then as I try to now. Ex. they signed Jason Taylor last yr which turned out to be WORTHLESS and released him this yr
post #15 of 46 (permalink) Old 03-31-2009, 10:01 PM
Nittany Lion

Quote:
One things for sure, we both seem to share the same dislikes of Dallas

But now that you mention it i do recall when the Redskins signed alot of those players, I didnt follow them as much then as I try to now. Ex. they signed Jason Taylor last yr which turned out to be WORTHLESS and released him this yr
on the Cowboys, I hate that fucking franchise with a passion, especially in the T.O. and "pacman" times. Nothing personal against the Skins, I was actually pulling for them a little this year. Worked in Dc, Northern Va, and Maryland off and on over the years and have learned to respect most of their fans, they are for the most part, " diehards" and I respect that. It's good too, that you don't take it to heart in the things I stated about your team, it's nothing personal against the Skins. But they are the worst professional franchise in all of sports when it comes to shelling out money for players that pay dividends or not. And I just had to point some things out when you said they don't spend like the Cowboys. They definetly spend, I'll give em that. Yeah, cool you mentioned Jason Taylor, cause I forgot about him for a second, perfect example bro.
post #16 of 46 (permalink) Old 03-31-2009, 10:44 PM
Jer
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Quote:
If you want to talk about $ and cap room let us not forget that Jay Cutler was going to be playing his 3rd season on a ROOKIE CONTRACT! Hell, even Chris Simms was going to make 3x more than Cutler as his fargin backup. Now, that being said, show me a better value than a ProBowl QB at the start of his career. This is just the stupidest fucking move the Broncos could have done. You could pick #1 ten times in a row and still not get a Jay Cutler. The season is lost.
post #17 of 46 (permalink) Old 03-31-2009, 10:46 PM
Jer
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Quote:
It's actually a pretty well known fact that the Washington Redskins had the highest paid roster this season so that kind of blows that theory out of the water.
post #18 of 46 (permalink) Old 04-01-2009, 12:42 PM
Professional Baby Maker

Motorcycle: JenJen750

Quote:
not taking anything away from Haynesworth, but he's a fucking nose tackle.To give a guy that kind of money that doesn't play a marque positon is just stupid.
Linemen, O and D, get the highest paychecks after their rookie contracts expire. It all starts on the line bro, at least IMO, you can't do anything else if you can't block. And you can't play D if you can't stop the run. Having Haynesworth shore up the middle is a good thing. Granted it's not as glamourous as the other roles but it's still important. That's why football is the ultimate team sport. That said we'll see how he does...Defense is partly the system too and I think the Titans had the perfect setup for him.

Cooler than a polar bear's toenails

<signature></signature>
post #19 of 46 (permalink) Old 04-01-2009, 12:46 PM
Professional Baby Maker

Motorcycle: JenJen750

Stafford at #1 can be the face of the franchise for years to come. You have Kevin Smith at RB, Megatron at WR, a QB would complete the "triplet" that everyone covets. But I would not play Stafford this year. Garcia, a damn good QB IMO, is available. Sign him for a low price for a year or two contract and let Stafford sit it out and learn. Spend the rest of the draft on Defense. Is c-pep still on the team?

Another option would be to focus on Defense and pick up a QB in the second round. Orakpo or Curry would be good pickups as well. And you'd just have to hope there's some prospects left in the second round for QB. I heard the draft is thin this year at QB, but who knows.

If I were the Lions I'd go for the second option...draft Aaron Curry and look for a QB in the later rounds.

Cooler than a polar bear's toenails

<signature></signature>
post #20 of 46 (permalink) Old 04-01-2009, 06:57 PM
Lifetime Premium

Lions need an immediate jolt to their franchise, to me drafting Orakpo or Curry isnt the answer nor can they justify spending the first pick on either of them. They'd have to trade down to get that done. As someone stated they are slowing piecing together a decent team "talent" wise. A franchise QB is a good choice or a book end tackle to build around to protect your future franchise QB. The amount of FA QB's will get the Lions through another season to draft Tim Tebow. haha

Even though the Skins spend the most they have more to show than the cowboys. They're not a sitcom entertainment piece. They have had some notable wins, but just cant put it all together also playing in the NFC east isn't easy. They swept the Eagles, Split with the Giants and Cowboys, beat the Cards. Taylor would have been a nice complement to the 100 million dollar man seeing as he is going to get double teamed every snap. Taylor was never 100&#37;. But i hate the skins so i will not defend them any more.

Oh and the Broncos lost it all when they stopped running the ball, what happened to the RB machine. They could make any scrub RB look good with their zone blocking. Now their a pass happy team. Not gonna cut it with out Cutler firing that thing out.

07 GSXR 750
520 -1+2 SS Conv
SpeedoHealer
Yosh R55
1CarbonTech CF
Pazzo Shorties
Puig Windscreen & Hugger
Bad Boy Racing Sliders
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode