The over pussification of the NFL: Discuss - Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-25-2008, 10:13 AM Thread Starter
Jer
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Motorcycle: K7 GSX-R1000 B/W (the fastest color)
The over pussification of the NFL: Discuss

So, I've been meaning to start a thread about this for quite some time but things are getting out of control. The first example I'm going to use is actually two calls that FAVORED the franchise QB of my favorite team just to show that I'm not just saying this as a sore loser of a team that received bad calls. Last Sunday the OLB for the Oakland Raiders Thomas Howard was flagged not one but TWICE in about a 10min window for roughing the passer and two plays where he had no possible way of pulling up before making contact with the passer. He didn't go helmet to helmet and he didn't do anything malicious yet was hit with 30 yards of penalties in a divisional NFL game towards the end of the season. Calls like this should NEVER happen let alone twice in the same game and within such a close time frame to each other. I understand they are trying to protect the players but this is a violent sport. That's all there is to it. People are going to get hurt and seriously. It's an inherent danger that the players are more than willing to make and being rewarded handsomely to do so. I'm not saying that they deserve to get injured but at the same time they understand the risks and are glad to take them. What about all the other people in the world playing the sport for little or no money? I was going to play semi pro football a couple years ago and made the conscious decision not to based on the fact that if I got injured I and I alone would be responsible for the medical bill. If I was to go pro I wouldn't even think twice about it based on the kind of money that they make.

Another example was Justin Tuck from the New York Football Giants cleanly hitting the QB for the Dallas Cowboys Brooks Bollinger. Not only was he flagged and penalized but the NFL levied a fine against him. Thanks to people like Mike Golic and others who were outspoken about how ridiculous this fine was the NFL head office rescinded it very quickly but it shouldn't have ever been discussed to begin with.

Last night during the Packer/Saint game a wide receiver was hit hard going over the middle. I was FURIOUS because it was a clean football hit and was done exactly the way you are coached to do it. He didn't leave his feet, he didn't lead with his helmet and he put his should into the receivers torso to prevent him from catching the ball.. the exact thing he gets paid millions of dollars to do. Fortunately they picked up this flag after a discussion at mid field but for this one picked up flag there are dozens and dozens that should be picked up that aren't.

Bottom line: This is getting out of control. This sport is inherently dangerous and EVERYONE who plays it knows that. Penalzing players for things that aren't within their control is ruining the game. Let them play the sport that they love and let the fans enjoy the game for what it is and stop trying to turn it into Bowling.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-25-2008, 10:38 AM
Amateur

Motorcycle: K7 GSXR 750
Re: The over pussification of the NFL: Discuss

Good post Jer. I have been asking this for the past few years actually. I understand why rules like roughing the passer are there, but the definition of "roughing" is getting out of control. Some of the clean football hits are being called unecessary roughness .

so yes JER you are correct........PUSSIFICATION.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-25-2008, 10:57 AM Thread Starter
Jer
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Motorcycle: K7 GSX-R1000 B/W (the fastest color)

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharp750 View Post
Good post Jer. I have been asking this for the past few years actually. I understand why rules like roughing the passer are there, but the definition of "roughing" is getting out of control. Some of the clean football hits are being called unecessary roughness .

so yes JER you are correct........PUSSIFICATION.
When the league's official spokesman is stating that 'Justin Tuck landed on Brooks Bollinger with 100% of his body weight which deemed a penalty and a fine' I have to laugh out loud but at the same time it hurts a little what they are doing to the game that I love. This is bullshit and it needs to end.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-25-2008, 01:58 PM
Expert

Motorcycle: 2003 GSX-R1000, 2008 ZX-10R

I'm not sure who decided these kind of hits were going to get flagged but I don't like it either. It's not just the NFL either, I've noticed practically every college game I've seen this season has had at least one total BS late hit call.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-25-2008, 02:18 PM
Expert

Motorcycle: 01 Gsxr 750

I think it is being put into play by the owners in their off season meetings with the Comish and league officals. You have players racking in huge paychecks and they don't want to see these players hurt before they pay dividends. Yeah it's crazy as hell but it is a business first and foremost. I see calls as do the rest of you all that I'm like late hit? Unnecessary roughness? Isn't this football?

I know my coach when I played told us if you didn't see snot bubbles coming out his nose you didn't hit his ass hard enough. Forget the powderpuff football and bring back the "Break his ass in half Lonnie Lott hits, Celebrate like you want, With whoever you want, When you want, Where you want for making a damn good play" Football. Can I get a hell yeah?

"Ahhhhh.....Nothing like a run up Rte 33 to Franklin, WVA and down 220 to Covington, VA to get the kinks out...."

"Nothing in all the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity."
--Rev. Dr.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Luther King, Jr.

"You know me still got the flow that'll pop speakers
First option on offense the top feature" -- Jadakiss
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-25-2008, 06:14 PM
Expert

Motorcycle: 2003 GSX-R1000, 2008 ZX-10R

What about the college guys that don't get paid? Maybe it's just "politically correct" officiating. I can fully understand the horse collar rule that started up this year at the college level, and legitimate late hits, or hitting a vulnerable kicker, etc. I kind of thought sports might head the other direction after MMA gained popularity. Definitely not the case with football. I hope it doesn't get bad enough that coaches have to start adjusting for it. Maybe we're there already.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode